Excessive oil consumption 2.0T petrol

gord

I have recently traded in my Octy vrs for a Audi A4 2.0T petrol. This is the same engine as the later vrs's (EA888 I think)

The car is just 3 years old and has done 61K,it has full Audi service history.

So far the car has used 1.25ltr of oil in 800 mile.Otherwise the car runs perfectly.

According to the manual the car should use up to 0.5ltr/1000km(620mile).

Luckily I took out a years warranty when I bought the car. It states that if there is a problem they will pay for one hours labour to investigate the problem at a garage of my choice,and then a decision will be made as to whether I am covered.

I seem to think that one or more of the pistons could be worn. If so, would Audi be able to diagnose this within one hour?

I don't want them to strip the engine only to find out that is not the problem,and be left with a hefty bill.

Thanks in advance.

61K miles is not a lot, I would not expect to see any piston wear yet, its quiet possibly leaking out somewhere. It may not be immediately obvious from where, given that the engine has an undertray it could be leaking onto that.

I'd have thought at 61k that oil use ought to have reduced but thats not to say theres a problem. VAG turbo engines have a tendency to burn a bit of oil, maybe this one has always liked a drop.

Worth asking the dealer about the cars past warranty history see if there is any mention of oil use investigation in the past.

Interestingly, my 2006 tfsi has started to use less and less ool as the miles pile on. When I bought it at circa 45k it was at the limit of normal consumption, I'd say it's now reduced by 2/3. Using 5w40 has helped, but hasn't been the only effect. I've not treated it particularly gently either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i've found if i use 5w40 it uses zero oil!

I have used 0w/40 and the oil consumption is reduced too. Not that I ever thought mine was a problem to be fair. One thing worth checking is the PCV valve.

I have used 0w/40 and the oil consumption is reduced too. Not that I ever thought mine was a problem to be fair. One thing worth checking is the PCV valve.

Where is the pcv valve located?

is it easy to access and remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive switched from 5w30 to 5w40 and noticed a big difference in my money consumption but unfortunately not my oil consumption!

• 3 months later...

How much oil is in the inlet pipes both before and after the turbo?

Pre turbo should be pretty clean, a little will get in from the PCV, post turbo expect some oil, but if there is a lot in there you have a turbo issue.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Car People?

Oh dear, I can see it now. Bonnet open, the branch manager, one of the spanner monkeys and the valeter looking at the engine. Some deep intakes of breath and a couple of um's and arh's, oil topped up, bonnet shut, car returned.

"The consumption is quite normal sir. Try it for another few thousand miles and let us know how you get on."

Further calls will go unanswered, messages not returned, the guy you need to speak to will be on holiday, we'll call you back, I'll pass on a message etc. etc.

You'll either fall outside of the 6 months SoGA or simply get fed up and end up taking it somewhere else. That's how they work.

Good luck!

Mine also uses 1 litre for about the same mileage, Andy the TFSI PCV valve oil vapour exit is between the cam cover and inlet manifold (After the throttle plate) so that's ruled out. Im sure my oil is going through the turbo because the failed DV valve was covered in oil and I recently cleaned the IAT which was also covered. I don't have any excessive blue smoke and it drives ok. Most VAG 2.0 TFSI driver's seem to be running almost two stroke engines.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

on the 2.0 TSI engines there is a known issue with the oil breathers (and a service TSB for it) causing heavy consumption. I had this on my A5 convertible and in the end Audi changed the breathers and all was good.

the TFSI PCV valve oil vapour exit is between the cam cover and inlet manifold (After the throttle plate) so that's ruled out.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Stand corrected on the routing of the PCV valve

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Car now using 1l every 600 mile.

It was booked in Monday at the car people for them to investigate

Update...As I thought,they 'phoned me up and said they'd checked with Audi and the consumption of oil was "normal"

I told them I had also spoke to the main dealer who had serviced my car and they said it was using too much.

After a heated argument on the 'phone I went down(after ringing a second Audi dealer) and the car people got the Audi dealer they had spoke to on the 'phone.

I was handed the 'phone and the Audi guy agreed with me.

The car people then changed their tune.

The car is booked in with Sheffield Audi next Wednesday, where they will top up the oil accurately and after 621mile (1000km) I will take the car back and they will check what it has used. And hopefully find the problem.

Edited by gord