Which fibre broadband company do you use?

AJ7788

Have you left your router unplugged for 24 hours from the bt socket to do a self DSLAM reset? Tried replacing your line filters?

Haven't tried leaving my router unplugged for 24 hours but BT came out and had the port reset which made no difference, multiple different filtered face plates make no difference, different routers make no difference, different computers, different openreach modems all with a virtually perfect sync speed but half the throughput you would expect.

Sky have acknowledged the issue to other members of the Sky forums but not officially.

It's something network side but there's no indication that they know what it is or when it will be fixed!

Haven't tried leaving my router unplugged for 24 hours but BT came out and had the port reset which made no difference, multiple different filtered face plates make no difference, different routers make no difference, different computers, different openreach modems all with a virtually perfect sync speed but half the throughput you would expect.

Sky have acknowledged the issue to other members of the Sky forums but not officially.

It's something network side but there's no indication that they know what it is or when it will be fixed!

Exactly the issue I have been having since it has been installed. They know they have issues, when I called to cancel they didn't put up any fuss, didn't even try and offer me anything lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think all of the fibre co's apart from sky want an 18 month contract.

I have to say I think my BT connection is pretty good and as yet, nothing to complain about.

Scrub that, the b**stards have started to throttle iPlayer so you can't watch it in HD.

On a 70/20 line, I'm getting less than 3Mbits to iplayer.

Going to be having serious words with them about this.

Scrub that, the b**stards have started to throttle iPlayer so you can't watch it in HD.

On a 70/20 line, I'm getting less than 3Mbits to iplayer.

Going to be having serious words with them about this.

Not a lit you can do, this is one of the downsides of BT, they do traffic shaping. One of the reasons I'd always choose sky ahead of BT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sky, EVERYTIME

Anyone who chooses that packet shaped nonsense from BT needs their head reading.

Sky spend more than any ISP on their infrastructure, and I've never had any speed issues - get 7.3MB/s all day every day.

Not a lit you can do, this is one of the downsides of BT, they do traffic shaping. One of the reasons I'd always choose sky ahead of BT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Was sold as totally unlimited and no traffic shaping apart from p2p at peak. Iplayer is streaming video as far I I see which was listed unthrottled.

SKY.

Very few dont traffic shape. SKY are one of them. SImples.

BT do traffic shaping and depending on how you use broadband then there is no point having mega download speeds if they shape the traffic anyway. A non shaped stable line is better than mega high speeds that gets throttled back regularly and all the other traffic shaping nonsense that kills your connection periodically.

They (allegedly ;)) don't do it on the unlimited package - IIRC they do it on the "Lite" and "Connect" packages.

Chris

That is partly correct, because the Connect package is operated on the BT network so subject to the same limitations as BT. Lite and Connect are not available as a fibre product. Connect is only offered when either the exchange has no sky equipment or the sky equipment has no spare capacity.

Lite is so limited due to its download cap, I often wonder why anyone would want it.

Have signed up with Virgin in the end. Looking at http://www.broadband...dchecker.co.uk/ they seem to have the best actual speed in my area.

I wouldn't go off that myself, it say's Virgin Media is the 3rd best option in my area, which is all well and good except I'm not in a cable enabled area......

Ive been very happy with Infinity.

get the full 80/20 which equates to around 9.5MB/s down.. and an average usage of about 275gb a month.

The 'torrent throttling never really bothered me - but ive noticed its speeded up recently.

This weekend I am at my dads house, infinity was installed last Tuesday to replace Virgin cable.

Speedtest.net is showing below when connected to the hub wired via a 10/100 ethernet switch.

2496590706.png

I'll swap that out for a 10/100/1000 later and it should improve.

I doubt it will improve much if any, you would get a similar speed test using a band N wifi and a wired 10/100 switch is still faster as its full duplex and not half duplex unless its a hub and not a switch in which case get it changed. The connection is only as fast as the slowest bottleneck in this case your broadband and distance from the exchange. Thats not a bad speed anyway i get 60mb download and 15mb ish upload with virgin and can't imagine needing any more bandwidth. I can download torrents at 5mbps+ so an average film usually takes a few minutes seconds some times.

This weekend I am at my dads house, infinity was installed last Tuesday to replace Virgin cable.

Speedtest.net is showing below when connected to the hub wired via a 10/100 ethernet switch.

2496590706.png

It probably won't improve. You're only getting 55Mbit, a Gig switch won't improve the internet speed....

Have signed up with Virgin in the end. Looking at http://www.broadband...dchecker.co.uk/ they seem to have the best actual speed in my area.

That's BB speed. Wait till something goes wrong and check their speed then . First on understanding you ,then actually doing anything about it .

Recent BT adverts have boldly claimed they don't slow customers down or traffic shape UNLIKE other ISPs.

Can't wait to see the ASA ruling on this one

I noticed this a couple of days ago. You can still carry out traffic shaping without slowing speeds though. Intermitantly breaking the connection for a split second to try and prevent torrent streaming is an old trick.

BT used to do this in my area and it serioulsy killed any online gaming as you kept loosing connection every 5-10 minutes or so. This was quite a few years ago though so i have no idea how traffic shaping has evolved but i had to leave and use ZEN to prevent this and then ultimately onto SKY fibre.

If its true at BT hace ceased conducting all forms of traffic shaping then good on them but im sceptical to say the least.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

BT have stated that from the first of February 2013 they no longer have a Fair use policy in place on their unlimited products, and also traffic shaping on P2P has now been removed. Therefore on BT now called "Truly unlimited" service with BT infinity and infinity 2, you now get all the bandwidth available all the time, regardless of what you are doing.

Information for customers on totally unlimited products

If you're on Unlimited Broadband, Unlimited Broadband extra, Unlimited BT Infinity 1, Unlimited BT Infinity 2, or for customers taking BT Total Broadband Option 3 from 1 February 2013, we won't place any speed restrictions no matter how much you upload or download, even at peak times