Yeti Insurance Renewal

Pouclee

Just had my insurance renewal through the post for the Yeti and thought I'd ring around to see what quotes I could get. My current renewal was with NFU mutual full protected no claims and two named drivers, they wanted a renewal of £306.00

Couple of phone calls later I've a quote on a policy with the same benefits with Ageas any driver over 25, same policy excess for £198.99, quite frankly I'm amazed. I called my existing company to give them the opportunity to re-quote and they best they could do was £293.00.

NFU were top of the which reports last time I looked, though when I asked for a quote they were seriously expensive so I used Saga instead. Which insurer gave you the other quote?

NFU were top of the which reports last time I looked, though when I asked for a quote they were seriously expensive so I used Saga instead. Which insurer gave you the other quote?

The other quote was from existing broker and was the best NFU Mutual could do at £293

I've been with one or t'other of the Admiral 3 for a decade or so - they've always been cheapest until this year. Last year was £406, this year £460. More Than want £290 (£700ish last year).

Not sure I understand this - I've not made any claims and just turned 38. Still doing 18,000 a year, about half of that is business mileage, so why the sudden increase from one and decrease from another?

I'm still with Skoda as nobody could get close. I have a modified car in a high risk area and not many people are willing to quote. I think I did get a slightly cheaper quote, but the cover was not as comprehensive so it wasn't worth going for, so always check what you are getting.

Have you tried the site sponsors. They can give quite good deals.

But it does mean venturing out of the Yeti area :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk from my Phone

I think the whole insurance thing is a big con. I'm sure they rely on lethargy by the bulk of their customers. For as long as I can remember now I have never renewed cover with whoever would be my current insurer.

Last year I had my i10 / citigo insured with RIAS the policy being underwritten by Ageas for a measly £133. This year they wanted nearly double!

The yeti insurance was also due, in the end we went for Admirals multicar policy, nobody else could get close to the combined price of £320.

What was more baffling was our house insurance quote, Ageas (again!) wanted 35% more than last year. On questioning the broker (RIAS) they gave me some waffle about the insurer changing their scoring for the property. I argued that nothing much had changed in the neighbourhood, we are not in a flooding risk (despite being 200m from the sea as one company once tried to argue that we were - my retort was that if our house was flooded by the sea then 50% of Weymouth would be under water, we are >60ft above sea level up a hill!!).

Any way back to the RIAS quote, the broker eventually offered £50 off the renewal figure, which I declined.

After a bit of shopping around Marks & Sparks came out tops and because I bought the policy through Quidco (a cash back site - which will eventually give me £45 back) the cost for better cover is less than last year! We buy as much as possible on our M&S credit card and come Christmas buy all our food on the bonus vouchers that we get, but if you want to spread the cost over the year you can do so interest free....

I found LV= very good, especially for comprehensive European cover.

Another + for LV, but I do get a discount for being a member of the CSMA.

Whilst I know they aren't the cheapest from experience I know they provide an excellent service. I hear far to many problems from those that use the "cheaper" end of the market. Another example of "you get what you pay for" perhaps!

• Like 2

I found LV= very good, especially for comprehensive European cover.

My dad would have agreed about LV right until a drunk driver t-boned him.

The other vehicle was insured by LV and they were an utter PITA to deal with.

I do wonder if they were so difficult because both parties were insured by them? I had heard they were a good company to be insured by (as per grahams response).

It also annoys me about the way if you remain loyal they really take the p. I've had my trusty old Berlingo van insured through Budget Van Insurance for many years and have blindly kept paying them every year through the system where they take the money from your credit card unless they hear different and thought the rate was fairly reasonable. This year the renewal notice came through as usual and I thought it looked a little steep at £220 so just had a look online for comparisons. The cheapest quote was £114 for the same cover! The other half rang Budget to tell them we were cancelling the policy, and when asked why told them we had found it a lot cheaper elsewhere. Surprise surprise, the guy said he would have a look to see if he could adjust the amount, lo and behold he was able to lower the premium to £116! This was for exactly the same fully comprehensive cover with the same insurance company!! Grrrrrrrr :wall:

• Like 1

Another + for LV. My wife had an accident in the Yeti last year and LV were excellent in their service, loan car and repairs. On renewal the premium decreased by £10 to £185 fully comp, 2 named drivers, 9000 miles limit, with NCD protection and £100 excess!!! Again discount for CSMA membership but still competitive I think for quality cover with no hassle when claim assessed.

Just received my renewal reminder from LV. £197.30. Two named drivers plus protected NCD.

I am happy with that.

My Wife's 2007 Mini Cooper comes in at £201. Again with LV.

Yet to make head nor tail of the insurance market. Was a old fashioned type of customer....Insured with a solid name paid the premium if any hike seemed fairish and never chased other quotes.

After nagging from son that "you must be brain dead" tried the check the market approach, but would still prefer to not chase the market every year.

To cut a long story short ended up with the AA...whatever their faults at least check their panel of insurers every year.

Snag is the offer each year goes up and down like a yo-yo by no small amount without any claims affecting the premium. (Example AA £325 goes to £750 same company next year with no claim in the year ...ring up we can do it for £340...if you get my drift).

Why they cannot keep premiums more stable defeats me. They have even been unable to re-quote with existing insurer when again no claim has been made between renewals.

This year AA quoted Premier (Underwriters) TNIA (The New India Assurance company, owned by Indian Government if research is right!). Quote is £110 cheaper than AA Axa for similar policy. Do I go with an established name ..still undecided?

Oh for the happy days, when insurers put it up a bit if you had a claim and down with extra no claim discount with a bit for inflation.....

Mad moment over.

If you research the internet for good insurance companies from users experience no such thing exists!

They seem to change conditions (downwards) year on year with things like no choice of repairer and

hints of allowing third party parts to be used if the mood takes them.

All in the name of driving their costs down perhaps by negotiating with the preferred repairer. Only OK if it suits me I would argue ..but I am an old fuddy so what would I know.

Edited by kibby

Have tried NFU on many occasions for car and house insurances. In every instance they have been seriously more expensive than other insurers. Presently using LVE for both of our cars.

I have been with Moreth>n for the last 3 years and my premium started at £235, its only gone up by £10 in that time.

Just had a quote that reduces current premium by 65% from the AA.

Previous was with one of the big boys that I was getting more than annoyed with for year on year significant rises especially when no claims made. The trotted out excuse being all those bad boys and false claims, scam accidents 2 years in a row. Too easy to put premiums up than take action to stop it, especially as all insurers appear to be jumping on that bandwaggon.

Also service pretty mediocre (India call centre etc...) in the past.

I was pleasantly suprised. Loyalty counting for nothing being the final straw.

Again my son will offer "I told you so"

From figures for 2 cars I would assume the value of the car would play a larger part in determining the premium assuming the performance parameters and claims history are largely similar, but appears not to be the case as the lower premium car is 3-4 times the value of the higher insurance premium car.

You live and learn...if a bit late in the day.!!

Edited by kibby

I've been with the Surety (the IAM insurer) for a few years. This is my first full year quote with the Yeti and they came in at £280. After a quick round on the meerkat website, they pricematched the lowest offer on there at £170 all-in. Bit p***ed off that we have to go through this charade every year but otherwise happy with them as an insurer.

• 4 weeks later...

So glad I searched for this topic, I've been quoted £550 by eSure (who I've been with for years) for my new Yeti due on Saturday, so I will definitely do some shopping around in the next ten days before the free seven days from Skoda have run out.

Incidentally Skoda have also quoted me £500, which seems high compared to what people in here are saying. Especially as I'm 38 with 10 years no claims bonus protected on my current insurance.

I had Skoda insurance with my first Skoda but the renewal was not competitive so I went elsewhere. As a generalisation insurance renewals are rarely competitive, loyalty means nothing nowadays. :'(

Fred

So glad I searched for this topic, I've been quoted £550 by eSure (who I've been with for years) for my new Yeti due on Saturday, so I will definitely do some shopping around in the next ten days before the free seven days from Skoda have run out.

Incidentally Skoda have also quoted me £500, which seems high compared to what people in here are saying. Especially as I'm 38 with 10 years no claims bonus protected on my current insurance.

Ooh, that's a lot. I have a 170 Elegance 4x4 and I change my insurer every year to get the best deal. This year in February I changed to Hastings and paid £175.85. I bought via Topcashback and I will get £40 cash back in a few months when it clears. So £135.85.

Ooh, that's a lot. I have a 170 Elegance 4x4 and I change my insurer every year to get the best deal. This year in February I changed to Hastings and paid £175.85. I bought via Topcashback and I will get £40 cash back in a few months when it clears. So £135.85.

Well I've just been on Confused.com and the best quote there was £335, which is obviously loads better than I've been quoted so far (eSure & Skoda) but still seems a lot higher than a lot in here .... Hmmmmm wonder why, I can't be that much of a higher risk surely :S

You could go back to Confused and change the car to a base model Skoda Citigo....that would at least give you a comparison with a group one car. You'd be hard pushed to get a cheaper car than that to insure. Is your postcode known to be a particularly good or bad area? And, of course, on or off road parking, and occupation make a difference.

Insurance is a funny game, & it's not always possible to make sense between quotes.

However, as a guide, I was paying about £260 p.a. on my Roomster - Skoda insurance quoted me £435 on the Yeti & reduced to £360 when I told them they were miles out. My current insurance is Prudential - to change to the Yeti with them cost me £2.12 after a £15.90 admin charge - that makes it <£250 p.a. as I had about 10 months to run.

As I said, it's hard to compare as we're all different but, as I'm west mids based, Prudential might be worth a shot:

http://www.pru.co.uk.../car_insurance/

Edited by Skoda Al Coda