SD card question

Hi. Was going to buy a 32gb SD card for holding my music on the bolero stereo. However don't really know much about the different versions/speeds of card and what the bolero will actually handle (SDSC,SDHC or SDXC)? Has anyone tried a 32gb....I did hear a rumour that it was unacceptably slow with that size card and that sticking with 8 or 16 was better? Any thoughts?

Interesting question as I have just received a 32Gb card today which I ordered (£15 from Amazon) - I have been using a 16Gb card with no issues at all. Could be a few days before I actually get to try it though....................

The speed is from the class of the card, not the size. You will see all cards have a rating like 6 or 10 etc. Higher is faster.

Bigger cheap cards will be lower class, which could lead to the perception bigger is slower.

• Like 1

The speed is from the class of the card, not the size. You will see all cards have a rating like 6 or 10 etc. Higher is faster.

Bigger cheap cards will be lower class, which could lead to the perception bigger is slower.

Exactly, I was in a camera shop and I questioned the price difference between two 32Gb SD cards (about £40 difference) and I was told it's down to the read/ write speeds.

And within each class there are different speeds such as a class 10 at 30mb/s or 45mb/s too

But no point paying for the top spec fastest card if it either makes next to no difference or is faster than the bolero can actually handle (if that's possible)??

But no point paying for the top spec fastest card if it either makes next to no difference or is faster than the bolero can actually handle (if that's possible)??

Don't forget the amount of time you have to wait when you're filling it up as well!

Hi. Was going to buy a 32gb SD card for holding my music on the bolero stereo. However don't really know much about the different versions/speeds of card and what the bolero will actually handle (SDSC,SDHC or SDXC)? Has anyone tried a 32gb....I did hear a rumour that it was unacceptably slow with that size card and that sticking with 8 or 16 was better? Any thoughts?

We are using 32GB cards in both our cars (Bolero & Columbus) & have no problems re finding / listening to music.

The writing time, as in loading the card from the computer's music data-base, might vary between brands / type but it's unlikely to be done more than once! 

Since the Columbus can & does read DVD's, I also have some music (concert) DVD's in the car, to listen rather than watch + I've burnt a few DVD's with MP3 music files, (plenty of blanks in the house) mostly to have all the recodings I have from a particular artist / band in a single location.

Couldn't comment re using MP3 players / 'phones for music storage, not my thing.........

HTH, DC

When you use the SD cards, do you get album titles on the bolero/Columbus unit? And then when you select that album a list of all the songs (e.g in alphabetical) order?

If so, does anything have to be done to the music files to make this happen?

If you rip CDs using any reasonable software (windows media play will do) then you end up with a folder with all the tracks with their correct names (and hopefully a copy of the album cover as a small file you ideally need to have an internet connection whilst doing the rip so media player can look up the titles/artisit/album art). When the SD card is in the car (I have the bolero unit) the selection touch button shows gives you the list of folders on the card and there are two folder icons at the top of the screen to navigate up and down the folder structure.The tracks usually appear in the order from the CD which they were ripped in

I also use a piece of free software called TagScanner which allows you to edit the MP3 tags of the files to change tities/artist name etc if required - I have created folders of compilations of favourite artists and used TagScanner to change the album titles to what I want (compilation/best of etc) - you can even set a small jpg file as individual track art as well. 

cheers.  It worked for me.  I just copied and pasted to SD card some album folders that I had on my PC.  Didn't get the artwork though, but not too fussed.  Maybe I didn't have internet connection when I ripped the CD a while ago

cheers.  It worked for me.  I just copied and pasted to SD card some album folders that I had on my PC.  Didn't get the artwork though, but not too fussed.  Maybe I didn't have internet connection when I ripped the CD a while ago

You can add it with the help of Amazon and an MP3 tag editor like Mp3tag.

I just dragged and dropped from iTunes which works fine. The slightly annoying bit is that albums added a while ago show the artwork cos it is embedded in each track, more recent ones the artwork is in a separate folder so doesn't show. Total PITA to sort and can't decide if I can be bothered.

Edited by matt-k918

I am using a 32 gb class 10 30mb speed sdhc card and it is full and Amundsen handles it faster than old Columbus did with the hard drive! I paid £20 from Amazon, free delivery!

What's the largest size SD card the Bolero can handle? My 160GB music collection might prove to be a bit of an obstacle!!

I believe it can handle 128GB, which is a bit better than the 2GB the MkII Bolero can do! :sun:

I'dd read somewhere on this site that 32 was max, but that could've been referring to a different model of bolero..... or just wrong!

I have my music on a 32gb usb stick from when I had the MDI unit in my Fabia but don't like it sticking out of the the centre console so have ordered a 32gb SD card for the glove box. Reading the instructions for the Columbus updates -apparently they are 17gb in size! And a large capacity fast card is essential.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

We're new to this sd card business and have a couple of questions.

1. Does the Amundsen come with an sd card when the car arrives?

2. If so what size?

3. Does the sd card remain in the slot during playback?

4. Somebody mentioned dvd's above. I'm thinking Die Hard 4.0 while I'm in the chunnel. C'est possible?

5. 32gb card. How many songs does that store - roughly?

Thanks.

James

4. Somebody mentioned dvd's above. I'm thinking Die Hard 4.0 while I'm in the chunnel. C'est possible?

5. 32gb card. How many songs does that store - roughly?

4. Even if the Amundsen copes with video files, which I don`t think it does, Die Hard 4 is 2 hours long so the answer is no!

5. Enough music there for a month long trip without repeats.

The scary thing about this answer is that I'm starting to sound like Auric!

According to the Amundsen manual (page 35 - see attached jpg) it does support video files, presumably off the SD slot.  However given certain issues with Skoda I'd not be 100% until someone can actually confirm it from experience.

In regards to SD cards what I gather from posts on here and reading the manual is there are two SD card slots, one should come pre-populated with a SD Card containing the mapping data for the GPS.  The other empty, where you would put a 2nd SD card with media.

Edited by gullyg