Would you buy a 3 year old VRS?

It depends.

From a small dealer ( probably ex auction car) ...No

From a Skoda dealer,one owner,known history,at least one year's full warranty...Yes.

Would not buy any car over 3 years or 60K miles ie out of warranty unless I got my own decent warranty sorted out.

Most modern cars, as most have turbo-chargers or as with the twin-charge engine two forced induction plus the auto box, both which I love, it is not that unusual to get bills of £2k plus when one of these key items go wrong.

So if one does go for such a motor I would go, and this is what we did with our Octavia VRS which is over 3 years old and 70K miles, paid the £300 for a warranty, taken out with our Skoda garage, and we can then rest easier.

VW need to move to 7 year and 100 k miles level of warranty, it shows distinct lack of faith in their product when lesser brands have adopted this policy. 

Yes,

a low mileage vRS that has already had a new engine fitted, £8000 or so for a Hatch Maybe up to £9000 for an Estate.

2010/10 plate. 

Newer if you can, but one that got a Replacement Engine already.

'We Buy Any Car' offer around about £7500 on a 3 owner 2010, 23,000 mile vRS.

Find out what has been done on it, was it an Oil Burner, everything sorted, 

1st, 2nd and 3rd year service been done and MOT'd.

Brake Fluid Changed, new Spark Plugs, if its had a Skoda Engine Rebuild or Engine Replaced it should be fine.

Anything from 3,000-55,000 miles on the Original Engine and out of Manufacturers Warranty is a big Gamble.

(buying any is a gamble, but worth it IMO., i would not really want to buy one that has over 30,000 miles on it,

too much choice of ones around that have done much less mileage .)

Buy from a Skoda Dealership with a 1 year Warranty or an extended Warranty,

They will need to get the Asking Prices down if they have 3 year old ones sitting,

most will probably be going to auction now though.

Or buy on a Private Deal or from Independent and buy an Extended Warranty.

Bargain.

george

unless its fully backed up by a Slowda dealer and cheap as chips then deffo no, same for any brands 1.4 tsi, be it seat or whatever

maybe im being a little harsh, the car is GREAT in many ways its just i have this ongoing oil issue which would put me off a 2nd hand one

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 1

I personally wouldn't due to potential problem, i had loads of issues with my 61 plate one ending me sending back which yes could of been a 1 off, however 3 of my mates have 2011 polo gti and one a 2010 poli gti and one a 2009 ibiza cupra and every car has had a new engine. Now buying one out of warranty i think could expensive, i would definitely consider extended warranty to buy one 3 years

As above, with the known issues with this car..... not a chance i would touch it, god help the owners who have these cars and come to sell them or px them.

That's why I've traded mine in before the 3yr point..........no confidence in the car now and want shot before the warranty runs out.

They sell very well used at the right price.

but some Sellers and Dealers are sitting right now with not a clue about them or the possible issues.

Car first Registered June/July/Aug 2010 and out of Warranty.

They are asking prices that would give them £1000 profit or more from what they paid for the cars, so they need to find a buyer willing to pay that,

or drop the profit they expected.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Red one at £8775 asking price, 30,000 miles,

Black wheels been resprayed, Grill surround in Black,

maybe at £8000 from auction it was OK, the Dealer wants a Profit.

A car in Newcastle at a 'dealership' i would not even use the toilets in at any of their locations, let alone buy a car from.

9,500 miles only, 2 owners, so possibly a Demonstrator for the first 3,000 miles.

2010/10 plate,

Race Blue & asking £9000, so there could be one worth a look, but then again,

if its only 9,500 miles and out of warranty, it could be an 'Oil Burner' thats not been dealt with in warranty.

Some are just dreaming with their asking prices, but then they are allowing for needing to do a Trade In with someone.

george

finding out the history would make all the difference, I would buy one if I knew it didnt burn oil (have learnt that from the one I have now). I wouldnt look for a low mileage one thats for sure, one thats got average mileage for the year would suggest its less likely to be a oil burner

I think as with all used cars you are taking a bit of a risk. Could have FSH and be in good nick but doesnt mean someone hasn't thrashed the Bo****ks of it. And very easy on forums to pick up a vibe about a car as being unreliable as people only tend to post problems. I would take one if thats what I was looking for and would get 3rd party warranty or push dealer for at least a year. My car has been great no real issues and the  dealer has picked up all my little grievences like the gigaro wheel spidering without any arguements. Maybe try and pick one up thats still got 6 months manufacturers waranty on it so you can make sure it sound before it runs out?

There are only around 2000 in the UK, it can be taken unless there is one owner saying that they never thrashed it and swearing on somebodies life, that they have almost all been thrashed at some point, some more than others,

but thats not what makes a bad one, some cars are thrashed each trip and stay good..

The Unreliable ones are unreliable, its not a vibe thing.

Bad ones are bad, and there is ones that have no showing problems for quite a few thousand miles then become bad.

The Majority stay good, but how do you know, its just a lottery.

Still worth it for the fun if you are prepared to gamble.

george

I think the good ones stay good, but there are too many bad ones for my liking. The only guy I personally know who has bought one has had loads of trouble with it and had a new engine too. It's still not right and he regrets buying it.

Then again RX8's use lots of oil and still have a following. Granted it's sportier than a vRS but as long as you do research it's fine. Some are down to as low as £1500 quid since the rep is that bad now. Even non car people I know wouldn't get an RX8 and know of the issues.

My vRS has been used hard from day one. To be honest it's a problem I have in that I'm always wanting to drive it hard. 

• Like 1

Sure - why not? Like buying any used car just need to be careful. Decent test drive and a good service history. Then buy a warranty of decent quality and it'll be fine. I admit the big risk here is an oil issue and there's no way to know about this so there's a chance to be taken.

I would suggest (maybe jokingly) that if it was an 'oil burner' then you could tell from the amount of oil spilt round the filler cap, as its ridiculously difficult to top up the oil without spilling it thanks to the odd metal plate that blocks 3/4 of the hole when the cap is removed!

Mine is now 3 years and 1 month old. Ive had it for 10,000 miles and in that time I've used about 3l of oil which is not unreasonable given the quoted figures in the manual. My previous MINI used oil too, as did my 2005 Octavia. Its no biggie.

• Like 1

OzFabia,

if i can buy some cheap vRS here and make just an ickle selling them i am coming out to Oz, and hopefully you will sell me your car.

Then i can be Skoda Australias worst nightmare.

george

Ha ha. I think VW Australia are Skoda's worst nightmare here: won't let them undercut VW's too much on price in case they start selling too many Czech instead rather than in addition to zee Cherman cars.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

I wouldn't buy another vRS thats 3 years old, like someone said above I don't buy the same car twice.

But I would keep mine beyond the 3 year age, I haven't had no trouble with the engine *touch wood*, the oil it has used has been well within tolerance IMO for a car using both a turbo & a supercharger. The way I see it is that most people who have a problem with the car using oil are going to find themself on this forum trying to research the fault and are likely to sign up and reply, yet just think of how many other 1,000's of 1.4 TSi 180 engines are in use, and haven't got an issue.

Either that or I just got lucky!

• Like 1