Blocking grilles in winter

Hello.

It's a fair way to go until winter hits up proper, I know, but...

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to block/partially block one of the front grilles in the coldest months (December to March) to allow the engine to heat up quicker. Is this something anyone on here does? My car's a PD100, so it takes an age to warm up in winter, and the coolant temp can even drop on the motorway if its cold enough.

My guess is that if I limit the amount of cold air coming in through the grille, the engine should warm quicker, making mpg and wear on the engine improved?

I've seen grille covers on Superskoda, but these seem to be more for visual effect, (which isn't really my thing) rather than adding any benefit. For starters, they block the top grille, which I guess will interfere with the air intake, as it's just behind? My guess would be that blocking the bottom grille will be more effective?

Googling results in mixed info and people on ecomodder forums taking things to extremes.

Anyone with any ideas, or anyone with any experience of doing this? Do let me know.

Block the top first, you can do that cheap by using lexan and some string. Just cut the lexan to fit in front of the grille.

The reason you block the top first is that you push more air over the car that way since it rather collects air for its cooling from the bottom grille, you generally don't want air under the car as it makes more drag, but i guess that's hair splitting.

Im also thinking of buying the winter grille covers from superskoda, but good made lexan covers are just as good an maybe cheaper.

I'm looking at doing this too. Mine is the same, takes an age to warm up completely. And as most of my journey is spent on dual-carriageways and motorways it shouldn't cause any issues.

I spoke to a guy in work who does this with his 206 diesel and he's had no issues and said the car warmed up quicker.

• Like 1

Cut a piece of twinwall plastic sheet and shove it in front of the rad. Don't make it so big it covers all of it and position so part of the fan area is still exposed. This deals with the top and bottom grille.

• Like 2

I personally wouldn't bother, I was down in Eislingen last winter, it was -22'c and I did not see any potato sacks tied to the front of cars or similar vent blocking devices.

What happens if you sit in a traffic jam and air flow is restricted?  I would let the thermostat do its job and keep temps where they should be.

Back in the day radiator blinds were available for most vehicles and they were virtually impossible to see from the outside. It would not surprise me if they are still available, or fitted as standard, albeit thermostatically controlled as opposed to manual, in colder climes. It would be interesting if any of our members in colder countries could let us know if this is the case.

What happens if you sit in a traffic jam and air flow is restricted?  I would let the thermostat do its job and keep temps where they should be.

Last winter, I noticed that if the car's left to idle for a reasonable time, the coolant temp actually drops on the gauge. As I tend to do more short trips when it's cold (taking my girlfriend to work at the hospital when the buses have been cancelled etc) I'm thinking that getting the engine warm as quick as possible will reduce wear. On the hospital trip, there were some times last winter when the temp needle hadn't budged by the time I got home,

I like the idea of wedging a piece of corroflute or something in front of the radiator... at least that will be easy to remove if the temp rises, or I have a long trip planned. 

I always thought cold air = denser air = more mpg. Put a jumper on. Mind you, mine has heated seats  :D

I remember one trip in particular last winter when it was about -18'C, driving carefully as the gritters hadn't been out yet. Coolant temp didn't rise much and I got under 20MPG on the computer readout.

I've been blocking off the lower grille on my Bravo for a few years and will do so again this year.

Mine is a 1.6 Eco diesel, and on a ten mile commute in cold weather it doesn't generate enough heat to get up to full operating temperature without it. With it in place I get heat from the vents quicker and better fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Back in the day radiator blinds were available for most vehicles and they were virtually impossible to see from the outside. It would not surprise me if they are still available, or fitted as standard, albeit thermostatically controlled as opposed to manual, in colder climes. It would be interesting if any of our members in colder countries could let us know if this is the case.

Living in the north of Norway, and i can not say that i see alot of radiator blinds on the cars.

I personally wouldn't bother, I was down in Eislingen last winter, it was -22'c and I did not see any potato sacks tied to the front of cars or similar vent blocking devices.

If you block grilles the radiator fan would do its job, if at all necessary, to hold the coolant cold. Even if the grilles are blocked the front of the car is far from airsealed.

Cut a piece of twinwall plastic sheet and shove it in front of the rad. Don't make it so big it covers all of it and position so part of the fan area is still exposed. This deals with the top and bottom grille.

Better to cover grille than radiator. The blocking of the grille wil help with some aerodynamics and also leave some open room of air in-front of the radiator so the fan has to work less to lower the coolant temp. And the fan sucks power as in turns comes from our fuel.

If you cant find a prefittet piece for your grille i suggest you look into Lexan, its a wonderful clear plexiglas-like substance. But it is moldable under heat, stupid strong and easy to work with.

Borrowing this photo from another forum just as an example.

CIMG3267.jpg

In fact, Looking on ebay, I can buy a sheet of ABS around the right size for under a fiver.

I'm sure I could make my own if I can work out an effective way of fitting it to the top grille. If I remember right, it's about Gas Mark 2 for 10 mins or a couple of minutes under a warm grill for heath robinson plastic moulding/bending at home.

I might have a go if I can find the time. It's a shame I don't have access to a vac former. I could simply mould it over the grill and trim it to size.

I always thought cold air = denser air = more mpg. Put a jumper on. Mind you, mine has heated seats :D

I thought that meant you got less mpg as denser air = more oxygen = more fuel injected. Might be wrong tho. What I do know is the car runs better when there is lots of cold air. :D

Edited by armstrong21490

I thought that meant you got less mpg as denser air = more oxygen = more fuel injected. Might be wrong tho. What I do know is the car runs better when there is lots of cold air. :D

Taking cold starts out of it, mine runs longer (MPG) in summer. Part of that might be winter diesel formulas providing less urge. Conditions for best economy vary considerably from those required for maximum power.

J.