What performance mods are there for the 1.4 16v 100bhp?

Ok, there's a guy on here with an ABT Tuned 1.4 16v and its giving 130ish bhp. 

It's had alot done to it and was monstly internal. Theres a thread somewhere documenting alot of work i think to the tune of c£6k. 

And a VRS will still monster it. If you're chasing figures? 

• Like 1

Not being picky or anything and I know some people hate diesels and think the VRs is the devils work because it's a sporty small car with a Diesel engine rather than a 2.0 16v or what ever but why don't you like 1.9's with 130bhp? Is it too big with too little power? The fact it's a diesel or too powerful for a 1.9? But confuzzled!

On the other hand you can put the 2.0 8v 115bhp engine in but for the money it's just not worth that extra 15bhp :/ possibly look to putting a 1.6 16v out of a polo/lupo gti in it with 125bhp? Depends on how open your mind is! As for the 1.4 it's good power at 100bhp and you won't see much more from with without spending ££££ :)

• Like 2

Turbo it like this Lupo in Holland, you will have to find his threads on clublupo to see what he has done to it, but on a fairly tight budget with low boost he is getting another 60+ horse power as this was originally the 1.4 16 valve 75 bhp engine. (engine code AHW)

What kind of performance mods are there available for the 1.4 16v 100bhp engine?

I understand a lot of you may say go to the VRS however i arent to taken on a 1.9 with 130bhp.

The best way to make the car faster is to sort the handling; change the springs and dampers, fit polybushes and a RARB, fit lightweight 15" or 16" wheels with quality tyres then fix the brakes with decent front discs and pads and a full brake fluid change.

Voila, the entire car is significantly faster and actually fun to drive without touching the already highly strung engine.

Not being picky or anything and I know some people hate diesels and think the VRs is the devils work because it's a sporty small car with a Diesel engine rather than a 2.0 16v or what ever but why don't you like 1.9's with 130bhp? Is it too big with too little power? The fact it's a diesel or too powerful for a 1.9? But confuzzled!

On the other hand you can put the 2.0 8v 115bhp engine in but for the money it's just not worth that extra 15bhp :/ possibly look to putting a 1.6 16v out of a polo/lupo gti in it with 125bhp? Depends on how open your mind is! As for the 1.4 it's good power at 100bhp and you won't see much more from with without spending ££££ :)

I think personally the VRS is underpowered for a 1.9 diesel

The best way to make the car faster is to sort the handling; change the springs and dampers, fit polybushes and a RARB, fit lightweight 15" or 16" wheels with quality tyres then fix the brakes with decent front discs and pads and a full brake fluid change.

Voila, the entire car is significantly faster and actually fun to drive without touching the already highly strung engine.

Highly strung engine? Are you saying its pushed as standard - im confused a little about that.

Arent these engines also supposed to return a healthy MPG? I saw a few threads about the 100bhp 1.4 16v fabia and people getting 4-500 miles to a tank, now i was told the fabia has a smaller tank anyway (35L) and mine on £20 gets about 100-120 miles?

for £250 remap it will see 160/170bhp easily, try getting that bang for buck out of a n/a car......

100bhp out of a 1.4 engine is pretty good already, with bolt on items i'd guess you may be able to gain 10 ish bhp and the car will be more responsive.

Based on what other diesel's out of a factory made more power with less weight to carry over 10 years ago out of interest?

Not bashing, just interested.

However the only person imho above that has stated a sensible solution to your problem without going abit hard core (I agree with flywheels, ratio's etc) is sepulchrave

Go for decent wheels / tyres etc and you will be alot, lot faster.

• Like 1

What kind of performance mods are there available for the 1.4 16v 100bhp engine?

Burn it.

Probably the worst engine ever made by VAG.

Seriously i would be more concerned about finding a 1.4 16v without piston slap and fooked tappets.. (a very rare find) before trying to get any more out of the already strained 100bhp engine

Just my 2p ;)

• Like 4

Highly strung engine? Are you saying its pushed as standard - im confused a little about that.

Arent these engines also supposed to return a healthy MPG? I saw a few threads about the 100bhp 1.4 16v fabia and people getting 4-500 miles to a tank, now i was told the fabia has a smaller tank anyway (35L) and mine on £20 gets about 100-120 miles?

The engine is in a fairly high state of tune as standard, yes.

The fuel tank should be 45 litres not 35.

Putting £20 worth of fuel in at a time suggests you mostly do short trips, so averaging 32 to 38 mpg sounds about right.

If you drove 100 miles non-stop at 55mph in top gear you might get 50mpg, at 65mph maybe 40-45mpg at 75mph about 35mpg.

I don't doubt that if you gave this engine to a proper engine developer they'd be able to wring 180bhp out of it fairly easily using forged rods, pistons, cams, headwork, ITB's and stand alone management but such an engine would be thirsty, gutless and very, VERY expensive.

As someone previously stated there is a member with an ABT modified 1.4 rated at 140PS that has cams and a piggyback ECU, such mods would set you back well over £1000 and the engine would be even peakier than standard.

Frankly Aaron, it's a challenge keeping this damn engine running well in standard spec so I'd forget all about it if I were you.

Bolt on goodies will most likely actually make it slower so don't even bother.

Could you name a more powerful Diesel engine in a similar sized car from the ages of 2003-2007? If so I'd like to know I ain't being funny but all diesels of this era where around the 130bhp mark also the 1.9 might only have 130bhp but has well over double the torque figures and that alone makes it just as quick or even quicker than rivals like the fiesta st150 206 gti (140) Mini Cooper destroys it and can keep with an S. It's a very underrated little car and if you haven't driven one you'll be massively surprised by the thump it gives you when you plant the smokey pedal! Not to mension 50+ mpg without even batting and eyelid.

Could you name a more powerful Diesel engine in a similar sized car from the ages of 2003-2007? If so I'd like to know I ain't being funny but all diesels of this era where around the 130bhp mark also the 1.9 might only have 130bhp but has well over double the torque figures and that alone makes it just as quick or even quicker than rivals like the fiesta st150 206 gti (140) Mini Cooper destroys it and can keep with an S. It's a very underrated little car and if you haven't driven one you'll be massively surprised by the thump it gives you when you plant the smokey pedal! Not to mension 50+ mpg without even batting and eyelid.

Could you show us on the dolly where someone touched you?  :rofl:

• Like 2

It won't be easy to get any decent power out of that engine. If the Vrs is somewhat expensive, (it is a hot hatch after all...) then get a PD100 like the one i have. It looks just like a 1.2 but you can easily get 150bhp out of it... Easy! It really isn't worth spending a couple of grand on it and then a kid on a remapped Corsa cdti will leave you blind from his black smoke between rundabouts...

In stock form it will eat that 1.4 for breakfast on torque alone. My car demolished my mate's Focus 1.6 and all it has in it is a cheap digital tuning box... And in 4th gear, between 50 and 80 it will beat even a 160bhp VTI... tried and tested.

• Like 1

Could you show us on the dolly where someone touched you? :rofl:

I wasn't being funny I was just stating a fact. If he thinks it's underpowered all be It. You've just jogged my memory on why I read on here and not post any more. My mistake.

• Like 1

VRS hot hatch?

ATEOD of the day, there is scope for power it just depends how deep your pockets are and you never said.

To me a 40BHP out of a small capacity engine for what is really just bolt's on is good, i dont think its that highly strung purely based on this.

• Like 1

Burn it.

Probably the worst engine ever made by VAG.

Seriously i would be more concerned about finding a 1.4 16v without piston slap and fooked tappets.. (a very rare find) before trying to get any more out of the already strained 100bhp engine

Just my 2p ;)

Oh dear tappets and pistons, dont suppose any of that causes rough idling?

The engine is in a fairly high state of tune as standard, yes.

The fuel tank should be 45 litres not 35.

Putting £20 worth of fuel in at a time suggests you mostly do short trips, so averaging 32 to 38 mpg sounds about right.

If you drove 100 miles non-stop at 55mph in top gear you might get 50mpg, at 65mph maybe 40-45mpg at 75mph about 35mpg.

I don't doubt that if you gave this engine to a proper engine developer they'd be able to wring 180bhp out of it fairly easily using forged rods, pistons, cams, headwork, ITB's and stand alone management but such an engine would be thirsty, gutless and very, VERY expensive.

As someone previously stated there is a member with an ABT modified 1.4 rated at 140PS that has cams and a piggyback ECU, such mods would set you back well over £1000 and the engine would be even peakier than standard.

Frankly Aaron, it's a challenge keeping this damn engine running well in standard spec so I'd forget all about it if I were you.

Bolt on goodies will most likely actually make it slower so don't even bother.

My trip to work is 9mile each way on the motorway/dual carriageway so its at 50-65 and still only see 120 mile per £20

Its better than when I got it, was about 85!

Is there any maintenance that betters fuel consumption? Ive replaced the air filter and put some multi electrode spark plugs in...

Just to correct the thread OP a lot of the later cars are in fact more like 150hp standard. Just to set you straight given you had the pespective of the car being underpowered.

I've driven a mkII 1.4 16v and driven in one. Having had the great pleasure of buying a vRS from new I can confirm they are very different beasts.

To be honest deliberately underrating the strengths of the vRS in favour of trying to make the 1.4 16v even as good as the vRS (as standard, BLT at least anyway) is a complete fail IMO :rofl:

• Like 2

Your either a keyboard warrior looking for a argument or have never drove one/know what your talking about tbh. Even by today's standard it's still good power, a mondeo st tdci is a 2.2 and makes 155bhp and the blt engine is roughly the same power. It's the torque that makes these so good not how much bhp you've got when your down the pub talking to your mates. If you were to get your 1.4 upto 130bhp it would still lose in a race as it would still have hardly any torque compared to a vrs. Perhaps it's the green eyed monster posting your comments?

• Like 1

Oh dear tappets and pistons, dont suppose any of that causes rough idling?

Rough idle on the 1.4 16v is normally the throttle body coked up.. just need to take it off + give it a good clean especially around where the flap sits