Mine is an my 16 and the problem is most noticeable on high grip tarmac , the stuff used up to roundabout and pedestrian crossings. Unfortunately reading this thread I have come to the conclusion is am going to have to live with it, I have had the car 2 months. I don't think skoda are going to do anything as there primary objective is working on the mk4. Unless there is a safety issues, I doubt very much if there going to put any resource into fixing the noise issue on a mk3.

If it's really annoying, then threaten the dealer with rejection.

I wouldn't put up with any booming or pressure pulses. Especially if they weren't evident on any test drives.

I'm definitely feeling lucky that mine has never suffered from these things. Even asked my dad the other day if he noticed any pressure pulses affecting his ears whilst in the car, just in case I am immune. But no, he has no problem like that.

Under! It's made no difference changing them anyway. Described the problem to the dealer, not expecting much help really. Thing is it's worth making the fuss, if more people did then maybe they would take some notice :(

Edited by ExSEAT

Under! It's made no difference changing them anyway. Described the problem to the dealer, not expecting much help really. Thing is it's worth making the fuss, if more people did then maybe they would take some notice :(

Let us know how you get on

If mine has this issue, I will drive the car to the Milton Keynes HQ and play f**k until something is done!

Perhaps a huge group turning up there may get their attention!

Oh dear, you may have to change your name to ExSkoda soon...

That's my biggest disappointment with the Octavia, there is a lot of road noise. You can really tell they have saved money on insulation. Mines only on 16" wheels and its still noisy on rough tarmac.

Fortunately most of my driving is semi urban so I only notice it on long journeys. Plus I think mine has improved now its run in.

If you do high miles, these cars are not refined enough.

Edited by glosrich
  • Like 1

If mine has this issue, I will drive the car to the Milton Keynes HQ and play f**k until something is done!

Perhaps a huge group turning up there may get their attention!

If mine does it when I pick it up this week I'll join the convoy !! 

• Like 1

If mine does it when I pick it up this week I'll join the convoy !! 

I get mine tomorrow. I may be convoy member No.3.  :|

EDIT: Milton Keynes isn't too far from me as it happens.

Edited by Prog
  • Like 1

Did no one notice it on test drive?

Or did you only get 10mins 'round the block?

I had a good test drive including 70mph on a dual carriageway and didn't notice anything. That was in a hatch though and I'm getting an estate.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm excited and looking forward to it coming, this new problem has made me somewhat apprehensive now :sweat:

I now feel the same, I'm taking mine for a 250nmile road trip when I pick it up and any sort of pressure issues and it'll be going right back with a warning that if its not sorted I will be rejecting it. 

Yeah both were 10 mins if that around the block a few times.

On my initial test drive I didn't notice anything and ordered the car. I had another test drive about a month later in a 14 reg plate and noticed my ears popping but I didn't think this was still an issue on MY16  

I now feel the same, I'm taking mine for a 250nmile road trip when I pick it up and any sort of pressure issues and it'll be going right back with a warning that if its not sorted I will be rejecting it. 

Yeah both were 10 mins if that around the block a few times.

On my initial test drive I didn't notice anything and ordered the car. I had another test drive about a month later in a 14 reg plate and noticed my ears popping but I didn't think this was still an issue on MY16  

Same here. As I've bought mine via a broker, apparently the car will be delivered to my house by the dealer and I then pay them, so before I do that I will be taking it for a drive, any booming or pressure nonsense and he can take it back with him!

Hopefully these latest cars wont be affected......

The pressure issue worries me more than the booming. My ears are not the best after many, many years as a musician.

The pressure issue worries me more than the booming. My ears are not the best after many, many years as a musician.

Same here, had tinnitus for over ten years so therefore have a permanent headache, doing 30k pa with cabin pressure issues is just not an option.....

Edited by cherry evo

The noise I put up with in the Leon has prepared me for the worst of eventualities. If this issue can be resolved or even reduced I'll be happy but I'm certainly no shrinking violet and I'm prepared for war of need be

• Like 2

I must say the amount of stick I got when I owned a Renault costing a 3rd of the price I payed for this, it had lots of silly issues and a few electrical problems but no serious things like the stuff that gets reported on this forum.

I must say VAG cars are so over rated it's unreal.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear my fake excuse from the dealer. The smart money is on 'never heard of that before' with an outside chance of 'they all do that sir'

Well both of those responses would be bull, and if they do come out with any of them, make sure you tell them that. Don't let yourself fall for it, and make sure they know that you know. Skoda have had plenty of people complain about the problems, but they seemingly have no idea how to sort it.

As mentioned by others as well, the word rejection needs to be mentioned.

The test drive I had was in the 230 they had in the showroom and brought out for me. Noise was my main reason for a test drive and I didn't hear it on that particular car. However it was almost instantly apparent on mine. Very disappointing! They have a demo estate in at the moment so I'll be driving that very soon for comparison.

Is that dynamat xtreme and dynaliner or just dynamat xtreme ?

I actually used dynamat xtreme on it's own, because I had used it before and got it at a good price.

It doesn't have to be dynamat though and anything that adds a good amount of mass and won't smell when it gets warm will be fine.

(Avoid the roofing bitumin, it's horrible stuff. Personally I think any decent foil lined mass damping material will be fine)

If you wanted to then do dynaliner over the areas where you had space, I'm sure it would help, but I didn't do this and instead used a free offcut of cloud 9 carpet underlay from a local and very helpful carpet shop.

I used silent coat deadening mats and underlay and seems to work, although doesn't help with the earache but then I suspect that's a different problem !

If you need help on that front, talk to Auric. I hear he has a tallent for his wife not talking to him ;)

Has anyone who has this noise actually tried loading mass into the boot floor (EG remove the variable boot floor and place stuff on the real boot floor)?

This should really help diagnose the issue, because if it lessens, then it's clear they cut back on the sound insulation too much.

At that point you have to decide if you think it's worth paying in your time and effort going to the dealer over and over, or if you spend some cash either on materials and your time or on a car hifi type place to damp the car.

It's all well and good complaining, but surely a little bit of self diagnosis and some testing wouldn't hurt?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Something I didn't mention earlier was that I'm convinced I can see the vibrations in the car when the boom is happening. When I look at the parcel shelf and rear window in the mirror I can see them moving rapidly.

Still waiting on a call....