• Below average
    • Average
    • better than average
    • I'm a driving god, me and Schumacher is my biatch

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I realise the IAM test I took' date=' and driving to "the system" has made my driving significantly better, everytime I get behind the wheel my driving improves. I know my driving is better than Joe Public's, but I know there is so much more to learn. Things that only experience can teach.

On a similar point, just because "I've been driving 20 years without an accident" does not necessarily make you a good driver.

I'd seriously recommend that everyone takes further tuition by someone that is qualified, be it by means of IAM / RoADA or similar. Infact - it could make for an interesting Briskoda meet... :smirk:[/quote']

Totally agree with you Tom!!! :thumbup:

There is a massive difference between driving in a reckless manner on the public highway and driving quickly on a track. If you are putting yourself in a situation whereby you are compromising your safety and crucially the safety of other road users and passengers then it simply can't be classed as even average driving ability let alone above average :(

I admit doing an advanced driveing course definatly improved my driveing. It made me aware of more hazards & I would definatly recommend it to anybody. I now drive faster & with more confidence on for example country lanes. take corners better to, a safe driver is not allways the slowest, they can cause hold ups & frustrate others, nor the fastest who takes risks, its the speed you feel is most appropriate for the conditions, e.g its ok to go slower down a lane & enjoy the scenary, but it would be wrong if you were hindering any other traffic, weather & other factors permitting of course. I did not do the advanced exam as I had got what I needed out of the course.This said, I still make mistakes, & am weaker in some areas than others.so would put my self as just above average, but not enough to say really above as other areas are prob. below, e.g reverse parking I just don't do, but i intend to practice, same as reverseing with a trailer.

Its impossible for me to answer this one accuratly, you see i can be an excellent driver and i can also be a total **** on the road, it all depends on which day were talking about here if its one of my excellent days then yeh i **** all over schuspacker (cant spell) if its a bad day then i couldnt **** on an blind 80 year old woman driver (no offence intended towards 80 year old blind women drivers of course).

I would like to say that I am a better than average driver (especially considering most other drivers are total idiots and are completely blind to whatever is going on around them) but I can find way too many faults that have crept into my driving style to justify a rating that is any higher than average.

I would like to think that I am an observant, safe driver and do not take too many unnecessary risks - a fact that is supported by friends and family who seem to have (misguided ;) ) faith in my driving abilities.

However compared to most, I have relatively little experience on the road (probably about 35000 miles worth of driving in total - however I am only 24) and certainly have a lot to learn.

I enjoy driving, even more since I purchased my Octy vRS in Feb of this year :thumbup:

At the end of all that - I can only rate my driving as average

I voted for above average, but only because I rarely find myself thinking "why the f**k did I do that?" anymore.

When I started driving 12 or so years ago, I would quite often do something (like go flying past someone round a bend) and then think "phew! good thing no one was coming the other way or I'd be in an ambulance now".

I still drive like a loon at times, but only when I judge that it's safe(ish?) to do so :)

I drive with one hand and say 'ello luv' 98 times a day, i also like looking out of the side windows at 100mph ,i cant find a suitable description... :o

Agree with Greame.......2 wheels makes you a more alert driver...............

Steve

I am an absolute lunatic and should not be allowed on the road, with or with out a car.

Any chance you could set this one up as a poll (Yay or Nay)?

Oh please, please, please...

I can hereby guarantee one vote - not saying which though :D

Mo

I put myself above average because I do try and remain alert, and put into practice the things I was taught on my defensive driving course all those years ago, don't talk on the mobile, do try to take rests on long journeys, check my car's safety before setting off on said long journeys, drive within the speed limits in built up areas, observe lane discipline on motorways, etc. etc. and I'm sure the average driver doesn't. However I'm very aware that I have lapses of concentration, my reflexes are not what they were 20 years ago, nor my eyesight, hearing or stamina, and I can learn something new on each journey. Really I ought to put average, but I keep coming back to the list of people Colin posted and I know I'm better than that.

Well I clicked on the bottom answer mainly for Schumacher line :) It made me smile, but to look at things seriously, theres not enough levels or description there to really place myself. Normal Road driving Im not tearing around like I used to, I dont go for dangerous overtaking, I always indicate (something so instinctive I actually indicated on stages going over anything that looked like a junction :) ) I know at times at low speeds I make decisions which might be a little on the wrong side, If theres ever one of those whos gonna go first at the round about situations 9/10 it will be me who goes first, and sometimes I make a decision which whilst not even close to dangerous might raise the hackles of the more road rage prone drivers.

But with having competed in motorsport for a long time it puts you in a different league for car control on the edge than your average driving enthusiasts. But that said I have been in the car with international competitors, and frankly I couldnt hold a candle to their abilities.

Lets face it theres the hopeless who cant handle pulling out of the drive without doing damage, theirs the below average you see wandering all over the road, theres the average drive who makes mistakes but gets on with it, but wouldnt have a clue what to do about oversteer, theres the above average who enjoy the odd bit of oversteer, then there those who need the windscreen wipers fitted to the side windows, and above that is the maybe 100 drivers in the world who have what it takes to make a car on ice with a puncture, engine running on 3 cylinders and no brakes look like a ballet show on fast forward.

Whatever the technology involved in F1, even the lowliest of F1\WRC drivers is someone of immense talent, Im sorry but there simply is not someone hanging around their local scrap yard unable to afford to compete who given the car could do the job. I accept there might be those with the same latent ingredients, but the experience is everything, If you havent spent the time competing there is no way you will have the same skills.

Opportunities and money will get you so far, but the skill is talent and experience combined.

Yay I'm not alone anymore...thumbs up to Richard for being brave enough to consider the whole picture :D

No-one is perfect and we can all learn. It's in the same in all areas of life, no-one will know everything well enough to be able to say they are the best and no-one can get better.

We can all improve and I hope we all do.

I put myself above average because I do try and remain alert, and put into practice the things I was taught on my defensive driving course all those years ago, don't talk on the mobile, do try to take rests on long journeys, check my car's safety before setting off on said long journeys, drive within the speed limits in built up areas, observe lane discipline on motorways, etc. etc. and I'm sure the average driver doesn't. However I'm very aware that I have lapses of concentration, my reflexes are not what they were 20 years ago, nor my eyesight, hearing or stamina, and I can learn something new on each journey. Really I ought to put average, but I keep coming back to the list of people Colin posted and I know I'm better than that.

I feel the same, Nick :)

Most of the time, I do think I'm really alert and see most hazards before they're upon me. I drive spirited, but could pretty much avoid late hazards (apart from suicidal pheasants :rofl: ), but then again, ocasionally, I seem to have a 2 sec lapse of concentration and then realise that if something really nasty had happened there and then, I wouldn't have even been aware of it :o

Also, you learn a great deal from experience ;)

I suppose it's a "general" driving poll, averaging on road safety, potential speed ability, etc

Whatever the technology involved in F1, even the lowliest of F1\WRC drivers is someone of immense talent, Im sorry but there simply is not someone hanging around their local scrap yard unable to afford to compete who given the car could do the job. I accept there might be those with the same latent ingredients, but the experience is everything, If you havent spent the time competing there is no way you will have the same skills.

But what has F1 driving got to do with real-world driving ability. Just because someone can handle a car at 200mph in an enclosed environment with all the traffic going the same way, doesn't mean they're safe on our roads. Yes they may have quicker reactions, but IMHO, observation and anticipating hazards is as much a part of being a good driver as being able to control a car.... :D

Chris

But what has F1 driving got to do with real-world driving ability. Just because someone can handle a car at 200mph in an enclosed environment with all the traffic going the same way' date=' doesn't mean they're safe on our roads. Yes they may have quicker reactions, but IMHO, observation and anticipating hazards is as much a part of being a good driver as being able to control a car.... :D

Chris[/quote']

I think perhaps you have the wrong idea about competition driving being all about speed alone, certainly with rallying you are FAR more aware of hazards than your average driver, a slight change of surface can put you on your roof, you have other cars that may be simply stopped in the track on their roof round a blind bend at 90 mph on gravel, you have spectators who are wandering the track freely, Certainly in my own discipline observation and hazard perception was everything, Any loon can put there foot down, but in order to finish first, first you must finish.

I cant see as F1 is any different in terms of observation, you are having to plan what the other car is going to do at 200mph, you have to be looking out for hazards which your average driver wouldnt dream off, because driving on the limit is far more hazardous than driving at road speeds, but the same observation and alertness naturally travels back with you on the road Looking ahead becomes very deeply ingrained when your life literally depends on it on the track.

Competition driving is not a nice spirited fast drive within the comfort zone of the competition driver, when driving in competition you drive every second in fear you are way out side of comfortable fast driving and struggling to always be right at the very edge of what can be done, If you are driving at a speed you feel safe at you are at the back of the field.

Driving every second in fear of a serious crash does heighten you alertness and observation incredibly, you are not only trying to handle your car you are looking out for alsorts, expressions of faces of spectators telling you if a cars gone off recently, someone pointing and smiling may mean the next corners particularly dangerous and they are waiting for you to crash because you are coming in too fast, a look of horror may indicate a pedstrian in the track, a slighly lighter patch of gravel may indicate a higher stone content so you might be able to go a bit faster byt putting your tyres on that, flecks of dark grey amongst the mud could be slate waiting to give you a puncture so you have to avoid travelling int he normal ruts in case it slices the side wall. Theres some dust in the air ahead just there has a car spun there, are the stopped around the corner Ok those are tree tops at eye level on the right hand side if im gonna go off dont want to do it that side. OK im travelling at 100mph on gravel the only thing keeping this car on the roughly straight path is the torque pulling me in a straight line if I back off Im history, whats that spectator doing? approaching an open air hair pin (hair pin where the outside is a sheer drop of hundreds of feet) On the last stage I was 1 second behind my nearest rival that means I have to take 2 seconds out of him on this stage, what is the very best line around this corner, whats the surface where are the spectators whats the invisible exit like, oh yeah and Ive still got to control this car which is driving like a rollerskate on ice due the speed and surface, and Im going 60mph faster than I would enjoy driving at. Welcome to 200yds of unobservant car control. all of course passing in a matter of seconds.

Competition driving isnt about who can put their foot down the most, or whos got the most power, More often than not Its the ability to judge a hazardous situation quickly which will get you to the finish line fastest. When a couple of inches either way can be the difference between a trip in a n ambulance and trophy it focus's the attention. I know its not the SAME hazards as on the road but the lookig for potential problems becomes very deeply ingrained

Learning how and when to slow down will make you faster, that would be slowing down because of hazards you recognise. Given a choice of who to trust my life to for avoiding hazards on the road, Id choose a good competition driver over a IAM member ANY DAY. Not only will there observation be more honed, but their car control techniques will be far better should the unexpected happen.

If I had to choose whose car my kid would run out in front of a IAM driver or Richard Burns, the choice is an easy one. Im not sayin the competition driver are infallible at all, anyone can be caught out, we all have only two eyes and they point in the same direction. If you dont believe me that the skills do carry over think this through, Does the IAM course teach you every possible warning sign of a hazard or does it give you a principle, of observation?

I personally believe the observation and hazard awareness sections of the Advanced test should be combined with the standard test as a legal minimum for a driver. Along with perhaps a section on "this is what happens if you make a stupid decision" and "was getting one car length ahead worth this".

• Administrators

Well said...

I'd echo that my limited track driving time has had a knock on effect to the road. I'm not claiming any skill that's even worth lighting the candle to compare to even B holders. But I am far more confident in the car's ability and to some extent in mine.

This for me allows me to focus on the other hazzards without worrying about what the car can do, I know it's limits and I know mine and I'm not afraid to use them when the situation deems it so.

Hazard awareness in tests and re-tests :thumbup:

Hmmm. Some interesting points.

Whilst I totally agree that competition driving experience will inevitably contribute to better/safer driving on the road, advanced driving tuition, be it through IAM / RoSPA or Police tuition etc plays a big part too. Whilst I agree that I'd rather my child ran out infront of Burns as opposed to an IAM driver, I think its a fair point to make that an IAM driver will have anticipated the possibility of the child running out and will have acted accordingly.

I think that anyone who is a driving enthusiast who actually THINKS while driving will continually improve, and will ultimately be "better than average".

An interesting point is that an "average" driver wouldn't pass a driving test. The average driver is interested in getting from A to B, with no interest in driving at all. I think the majority of us in this community enjoy driving...