Reality Check

Trev2

I have a Fabia Scout, which I've been happy with, but I'm now thinking of changing to a Yeti before the Fabia's 2nd MOT. I quite fancy a 2 litre TDI 4 x 4, so was wondering what sort of MPG I would actually get from the beast? I'm not an "enthusiastic driver" and am getting about 60mpg from the Furby to give you a clue. My second choice would be the two wheel drive 1.6 CR which is the same engine as my fabia. TIA.

I had the 110 bhp 4x4 and was averaging 48 mpg over 3 years.

I suspect I have a similar driving style as I used to get an average of 56mpg from our fabia vRS.

I think the reduction in mpg comes down to the less aerodynamic yeti as the figure drops to about 43mpg average on motorways if driven at the speed limit.

• Like 1

My MPG has started to increase, as I'm trying to be more conservative with my driving style and acceleration. :yes:

As you can see, I'm now up to 45.8MPG at the last fillup :D

Been tracking my 110 4x4 on fuelly from the second fill and she's averaging 45mpg after 38k miles. Found fitting a lower grill cover in the winter slightly improves the mpg during the cold weather by keeping the oil a little warmer.

TP

My 170 tdi gets driven hard almost all the time, I average 43 mpg on the maxi dot, on the odd occasion when it does get used for leisurely driving 50+ is achievable even with 100k+ miles on the clock.

I do find mpg does drop when the tyres are around the 3mm and lower point, new tyres mpg improves.

• Like 1

My CR170 is averaging about 42-43 mpg (calculated, indicated is a bit higher) after 7 months. The previous one averaged about 44-45 after 3 years. I do make use of the available performance, but not all the time.

Off topic a little this ,,,, I've got a 170 on the way, just how quick are they ?

Not quite sure what criteria you're looking for. Decently quick I suppose, but without being exceptional. Nominal 0-60 (or is that 0-62) is 8.4secs from memory. What you do notice more is the sheer pull accelerating away from roundabouts in 3rd say or in A-road or motorway overtaking (though the blunt aerodynamics start to take their toll beyond 75-80).

Edited by prodata

I was surprised by the thirst of the 140 4x4 initially, having achieved high 40s with my previous 110 2wd. However, since I started tracking it on Fuelly you can see I'm getting about 40, which isn't too bad.

You're not trying then Patrick.

Over the 3 years I've had my 140 I'm averaging the very top end of the 40's quite easily.

However.....................

Comparing fuel consumption figures across members is a pretty pointless exercise because there are far too many variables; different driving styles, different useage, different geography, etc.

• Like 1

Off topic a little this ,,,, I've got a 170 on the way, just how quick are they ?

Quick enough.  Quicker if you remap them to 200bhp. :)

The stock car puts in an 8.4 second 0-60mph time, same as the 1.8 petrol.

• Like 1

The 170CR 4x4 averages 47mpg.

The Greenline II over similar driving returns 52mpg.

For comparison the 1.2 TSi averages 38mpg.

These are the three we have and are figures after the engine is run in a little.

It can be around 10% less while the engine loosens up.

I'm very content with my mpg - given the spirited nature of my driving!

This car has curbed my enthusiasm for blatting along  UK motorways at 80+, with little or no effect on journey times - it's an absolute X Country blast though, with the map and suspension tweaks!

Not quite sure what criteria you're looking for. Decently quick I suppose, but without being exceptional. Nominal 0-60 (or is that 0-62) is 8.4secs from memory. What you do notice more is the sheer pull accelerating away from roundabouts in 3rd say or in A-road or motorway overtaking (though the blunt aerodynamics start to take their toll beyond 75-80).

I think that's pretty fair. There are times when it feels hot-hatch quick and times when a bit more go would be nice, but fundamentally it's flexible and has plenty of grunt.

• Like 1

110 + BOX UPPING OUTPUT TO 140+ GET an average around 45mpg locally here in france on longer trips sticking to prescribed limitsish have been in the mid 50's with the mfd indicating 59+  -  the car would be loaded with a medium sized dog, another body, a little luggage and a pan full of boxes containing radio controlled boats batteries etc of varying weights!

See my sig line at bottom. I find that geography has a great effect on MPG (flat/hilly/etc.)but there are so many possibles variables it becomes a personal thing. Even 2 drivers living in the same area and doing similar journeys can get very different figures. Black Magic! 

Tev2, I think your conclusion "45 for the 2litre and 50 for the 1.6" is a good guide.

• Like 2

Thank you all for answering my query.  I know Skoda are over optomistic in their MPG figures, so it's good to get some real world figures from your good selves. Cheers folks, I'll be starting my search after Chrimbo for something about 12 months old. 

You're not trying then Patrick.

Over the 3 years I've had my 140 I'm averaging the very top end of the 40's quite easily.

However.....................

Comparing fuel consumption figures across members is a pretty pointless exercise because there are far too many variables; different driving styles, different useage, different geography, etc.

Or maybe I'm trying too much!! One of the things I like about the 140 is the urge when you put your foot down. My last car before coming to Yetis was a 170 DSG Superb and I really missed the imperious acceleration when I moved to a 110 Yeti, hence the change. Having said that I'm not always looning about the place.

What I've noticed in normal driving is that the 140 is much more sensitive to hills and the way it is driven than the 110. Any slight incline (and there are a lot of hills in my bit of Kent) and the fuel consumption rockets, even if you just maintain speed. I reckon I'm probably averaging similar consumption to the 170 Superb, but it was just a bit of shock at first after the teetotal 110 Yeti is all.