Stopped by the Police

Gnomeface

I too am really sorry to  hear you are feeling below par Graham, I hope you are able to have your op soon and you make a good recovery. Hope you are able to enjoy Christmas,  with best wishes for a pain free New Year.

Take care,

Linda

Hope you get a speedy resolution Graham.

My Dad broke his hip yesterday (He's 91.)

The Hospital are still trying to work out what to do with him ,as he was waiting for a Heart  pacemaker to be fitted....

Happy days. :think:

Well said all those who complain about so many drivers using their fog lights when it's crystal clear, like many others, it's one of my "Muppets" complaints. When  many drivers now use DRLs all the time, it's yet another distraction. Honestly, if you can't see 1.5 tonnes or more of a car heading towards you without DRLs, in broad daylight, in my opinion, you shouldn't be driving. In the gloaming & later, fair enough, no problems with that.

Likewise the folks who use sidelights only. They claim that it's to make sure they're seen. If that's the case, then they also need to see other vehicles & they ain't going to see much just using sides, they need dipped mains.

As to adaptive headlights, brilliant, but nothing new, Citroen DS 21s etc had them years ago.

Moan over, time to cook a monkfish curry.

Anyone else interested in starting a culinary thread....just thought I'd ask?

Well said all those who complain about so many drivers using their fog lights when it's crystal clear, like many others, it's one of my "Muppets" complaints. When  many drivers now use DRLs all the time, it's yet another distraction. Honestly, if you can't see 1.5 tonnes or more of a car heading towards you without DRLs, in broad daylight, in my opinion, you shouldn't be driving. In the gloaming & later, fair enough, no problems with that.

Likewise the folks who use sidelights only. They claim that it's to make sure they're seen. If that's the case, then they also need to see other vehicles & they ain't going to see much just using sides, they need dipped mains.

As to adaptive headlights, brilliant, but nothing new, Citroen DS 21s etc had them years ago.

SIDELIGHTS? What are they? :giggle:

Fred

• Like 1

It is not quite as simple as that really, I could be driving on a bright day down a leafy beech wood lane in relative darkness, with a dark car I don't want anybody to have the excuse of not seeing me coming, especially as eyes adjust between fast changing lighting conditions so I think DRLs are a really good idea. Baring in mind some drivers seem to forget to switch their lights on at dusk, having idiot proof front facing lights seems sensible to me.

Edited by jeep
  • Like 1

I agree with Jeep (we probably use the same leafy lanes at times!).  'Be visible!' is a very good motto.  Many years ago we had a Volvo 240 estate with, of course,  'running lights' - nowadays called DRLs.  The sense of safety was enormous and we've tended to used dipped headlights, except in obviously steadily bright conditions, on every car since.  Till the Yeti. 

Out early this morning in the dawn gloom, there was a car going the other way on proper dipped headlights.  In the mist, we could not see until he passed that he was being tailgated by a fool on sidelights only - deadly for a biker, who would have been well out and waiting for the straight bit ahead. 

DRLs and / or mandatory 24hr headlight usage has been shown to have had a very dramatic effect on the incidence and severity of crashes in all vehicles. I thought it might have a had an adverse impact on crashes involving motorcycles, but apparently not.

Edited by dcl5ad

Well thank you Gnomeface I have just had the biggest laugh all week with your absolute load b**locks story

The police forces around the uk all use Skoda,Bmw,jaguar,mercedes, which all have turning fog lights activated as I have seen countless of these cars using them and your trying to say to me that they are not aware of the system is total rubbish.

And now that ford have also started making cars with turning fogs even the panda cars have them now.

• Like 1

I think you are all missing the point. It's got nothing to do with whether the fog lights are cornering or not. From memory it used to be illegal to have your fog lights on if it is not foggy. Foggy is when visibility is less than 100m, or yards, can't remember. I don't think this law has changed but could be wrong. It's amazing how many people drive with their fog lights on at night and most are very bright and distracting.

Its not front fog lights which I find distracting but those very bright rear fog lights that are irritating.

and so many people put on their rear fog lights at the slightest sign of mist and forget to turn them off, (Grrr!)

Looks like they're going to get plenty of time, then.

Now off sick for 1 month initially, with my op booked for 13 weeks time, but they are trying to get that brought forward.

And now workhave booked me for an Assessment Medical in January!!

I know Skoda refer to them as cornering fog lights which would make there use illegal when visibility is not reduced, surely they are cornering driving lights, they just happen to use the fog lights for this function when not being used as fog lights, simples.

Pedant Alert.

Actually if they called them "driving lights" then under the auxillary lighting rules of the Vehicle Lighting Regulations they could only be illuminated with main beam headlights.

If they just call them "cornering lights" they would have no trouble at all.

And further, what some here have always called "side" lights are now termed "front and rear position" lights in the VL Regs!

:giggle::kiss::giggle::rofl:

Perhaps they need to come up with a new word for this type of light as clearly they didn't have cornering light then when the law was written, but then I remembered the Citroen DS of 1959 had them.

The basic idea of cornering lights is excellent, as is Skoda's main implementation in some Yetis by swivelling the headlights themselves (you can even switch it off if you don't like it).

My bone of contention is using a completely separate light unit - in addition to the swivelling headlights, in my car - and not giving any option to turn this function off.  I know that a number of cars from different manufacturers have a "cornering light" facility but I imagine that the vast majority do it either by swivelling the headlights (as Yeti) or by illuminating a secondary bulb within the headlight unit.  Again, I have no problem with this;  it's the separate light going on and off that can and does occasionally confuse other motorists - and it's no use bleating on about it being legal and that it's the other driver's fault if he's mistaken your intentions and caused an accident.  I'd rather avoid the situation in the first place, but I can't unless I get someone to tinker with the car's electronic programming - no doubt voiding the warranty as well.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable!

Anyway, I've said enough, and the topic has been pretty well beaten to death. :)

The basic idea of cornering lights is excellent, as is Skoda's main implementation in some Yetis by swivelling the headlights themselves (you can even switch it off if you don't like it).

My bone of contention is using a completely separate light unit - in addition to the swivelling headlights, in my car - and not giving any option to turn this function off.  I know that a number of cars from different manufacturers have a "cornering light" facility but I imagine that the vast majority do it either by swivelling the headlights (as Yeti) or by illuminating a secondary bulb within the headlight unit.  Again, I have no problem with this;  it's the separate light going on and off that can and does occasionally confuse other motorists - and it's no use bleating on about it being legal and that it's the other driver's fault if he's mistaken your intentions and caused an accident.  I'd rather avoid the situation in the first place, but I can't unless I get someone to tinker with the car's electronic programming - no doubt voiding the warranty as well.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable!

Anyway, I've said enough, and the topic has been pretty well beaten to death. :)

I suggest you go and look at most of the current SEAT, Audi and VW range, as they all seem to use the fog light for this purpose.

• Like 1