Octavia III VCDS Adaptations - tried and tested

andyvee

Courtesy of Flo - LED number plate light coding.

Original thread here.

When the w5w bulb in rear plate is replaced with a led bulb (even if it's canbus error free) an error is displayed in the Infotainment. It's possible to use VCDS for using led bulbs:

-> Controller 09 - Central Electronics

-> 16 - Security Access - enter 31347

-> 10 - Adaptations

Change the 2 channels listed below

(1)-Leuchte25KZL HA59-Lasttyp 25  -  set to: 43 - allgemeine LED

STG09_Bordnetz_Anpassung_1-Leuchte25kzl-

(6) Leuchte25KZL HA59 - Dimmwert AB 25  -  set to 127

STG09_Bordnetz_Anpassung_1-Leuchte25kzl-

Here you can see the difference between Led (left) and halogen Philips Blue Vision (right):

012.jpg?t=1398542040

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Retrofitting Footwell lights

Original post here - thanks to steveb1970

Success!

Finally got the footwell lighting retrofit fitted, coded and working fully. They come on 100% with the interior lights when unlocking the car – the same when the doors are opened and are as ambient lights when the side or dipped beams are on at night and driving – defaulting to the % set in the infotainment system.

Recap:

The lights were purchased from Boldsport – I know some people have had issues with deliveries but I can only speak as I find; ordered and delivered within 6 days (from Hong Kong!) all OEM kit with a full wiring loom (around £28 delivered).

The fitting:

Used OEM cloth tape to wrap the red and brown wiring loom for a better look once installed. Got the lights laid out on my living room floor to ensure I had them in the best possible layout for the fitting. Numbered them 1-4, again to help with the layout when in the car

1. Passenger footwell
  2. Passenger rear footwell (under front seat)
  3. Drivers footwell
  4. Driver’s side rear footwell (under drivers seat)

Note: my car (’63 plate built Nov/Dec 2013) already had the cut outs for the lights and routing for the wiring – not sure all UK cars are similar.

Wiring part I

Two cables – red for connecting to Plug C and brown for earthing. The red cable is already supplied with the correct VW pin for inserting into the control module.

Trim removal:

(most of the main part is on the passenger’s side to access the Plug control module). Remove the bonnet release handle – I found this pops off with a small amount of force to get it off its ratchet. Under the handle is a small plastic screw fixing that needs gentle removal using pliers/plastic prying tool (I manage the snap the head off this) and remove the fixing. Then remove the side panel to the left of the dashboard, the panel where the bonnet release was (connected to the door sill trim) can all be unclipped (gently!) and moved aside. Finally remove the glove box and now you have ‘better access to the electrics. I also removed the side kick panel on the passenger’s side (one torx fixing) and the longer trim that runs alongside the lower center console. I did the same on the driver’s side (along with the foot rest) to enable easy routing for the driver’s side lights. The side trim is similar removal to the passenger’s side but without the bonnet release.

Wiring part II

Remove Plug C from the BCM – this up to the left of the fuse box as you look straight ahead. There are three plugs – Plug C is the closest to you (Plug A being furthest away). There is a white clip holding the plug in place, you simply press just under this and gently pull the clip downwards – the plug will disconnect and you can remove it downwards. Where the cables go into the plug is a small cable tie that will need to be cut off (carefully) – once off the inner part can be removed by moving the holding lugs on either side out slightly and puling the inner part out. It will be in two sections – the section needed is the right hand part, insert the red cable into the connector numbered ‘72’ until clicks into place. Once done reconnect all this (I used some cloth tape to make the red wire look OEM and neater – my OCD would allow nothing less!).  This can all be put back into place and reconnected. The earth lead just needs connecting to a body point – a couple are near by.

Route the passenger wiring up to the pre-cut lamp holder hole and attach the light fitting with the caballing. The rear cable needs to be routed along the existing cable runs that sit under the door sill trim – I found I could get this back to where the seat runner bolts are and just lift the carpet slightly to get the cable to an area where there is a cut-out for the seat wiring (I have electric and heated seats, so plenty of cable entry points). The wiring easily reached the lamp holder cut out under the seat and fitted neatly.

Run the driver’s side through the area where the kick panels where removed and run the front similar to the passenger side and exactly the same procedure for the rear as before.

Whew – that’s all done now just reverse all the procedure to re-fit the trim.

Coding:

First part:

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Go to

(8)-Interior light; light configuration-Fussraumbeleuchtung

Change value from ‘not installed’ to ‘installed’

(This puts the footwell light % setting in the infotainment system (under lights))

Still in Adaptations

Go to

(4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘Footwell light’ from the dropdown menu

Next

Go to

(1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘18 – 2* 5W’

Next

Go to

(6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30

Change this value from ‘0’ to ‘89’ or whatever value you want up to 100 I guess (this is where we set the highest brightness level)

If you just go back and make the changes here without exiting i.e. staying in Adaptations, you can do all in one go otherwise you have to go back in.

That’s it for adaptions – now go into;

Coding – Long coding (I used the latest vcds Beta 14.5.3 as this shows the labels for the Bytes – the 12.12 version just show tick boxes).

Go to Byte 5 and ensure Bit 7 is ticked – Footwell lights installed.

post-61868-0-72488500-1401091029_thumb.png

Go to Byte 17 and ensure Bit 3 is ticked – Ambient footwell lights(s) installed.

post-61868-0-26918500-1401091030_thumb.png

Hit Exit, allow the coding to be changed and that should be that.

Edit: My car came from the factory with footwell lights and neither of the above coding options are enabled. If I enable both I get an error code logged for LED light bar, which I believe is the ambient light option. Footwell lights work fine without changes to Byte 5 or Byte 17.

Check all the wiring, and test by opening the doors – they should come on at the highest level, and go off with the interior lights. Then switch on the dipped beams and the should light up at the level set in the infotainment unit 0% off, up to 100% full.

Now sit back and be happy you have managed to fit an item that is peanuts to our European cousins (11 euros apparently as an option!) and standard for the new L&K model.

Tip of the hat and thanks to andyvee for help and advice on all matters relating to vcds and adaptations.

Thanks also to nokiauk for the screen shots of the Bytes in long coding above and for help with sending me his adaptations maps for me to compare his (footwell light-equipped) Seat Leon SE to my own car to finally dig out the codings.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How to capture an Adaptation Channel map

As there are many variations in spec, and different controllers appearing in MY2015 cars, I am receiving a number of requests for assistance as Adaptation Channels may be different than the ones posted. One example is DRLs between cars equipped with Xenons and those without.

To find the correct channels, grabbing an Adaptation Map is the way to go. This is most useful on Controller 09 - BCM (or CECM).

Before you start make sure that your laptop battery is fully charged as it can take 10-20 minutes and you are using the latest Beta of VCDS, which is 14.7.2 as of 28/08/2014.

So, how to grab an adaptation map of Controller 09

As usual, with ignition on and engine not running.

On the VCDS main screen select Applications

post-61868-0-19235500-1409260231_thumb.png

Then select Controller Channel Map

post-61868-0-53088000-1409260231_thumb.png

post-61868-0-81973100-1409260231_thumb.png

Enter the below details:

Controller Address (in this case 09)

Security Access code for the controller to enable adaptation access (in this case 31347)

Select Adaptations

Select CSV file (not essential, it will create a CSV file anyway)

post-61868-0-12710700-1409260232_thumb.png

Then click Go and wait .....

When it has completed you will have a spreadsheet in your c:\Ross-Tech\VCDS-Beta\Logs folder named something like adpmap-09-5Q0-937-084-Q.csv

This can be opened with any spreadsheet program to have a look at the values. Your German needs to be up to scratch!

I would highly recommend doing this on any controller you are going to make changes to before you start!

Also, if you do an autoscan first, save it and keep the log file open before making any changes, every change you make is documented so you can back-track.

And as a last resort, in your VCDS-Beta folder there is a Debug folder with a CodingLog file in it that details every change you have ever made in a less user friendly manner.

• Like 2

How to disable the DRLs on non-Xenon cars

Courtesy of Aknedude :)

If you enable your fog lights as DRLs and want to disable the factory DRLs on the non-Xenon equipped cars change both of the below channels to 'Not Active'

(12)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion E 4) from Daytime running lights  to not active

(12)-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion E 5) from Daytime running lights  to not active

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How to code official towbar electrics

Courtesy of pncarrerars

Original post here.

CAN gateway - Enable 69-Trailer

post-107742-0-34919100-1409668666_thumb.

BCM - Controller 09 - Enable Byte 1 Bit 1 - Trailer Hitch control module installed

post-107742-0-94097900-1409668710_thumb.

Engine - this may vary between engine types - Enable Byte 5 Bit 4 - Trailer installed

post-107742-0-12754300-1409668717_thumb.

ABS - Adaptations - change Vehicle & Trailer Stabilisation to Activated

post-107742-0-99507700-1409668706_thumb.

Park Assist - Byte 3 - Change to 01 Trailer Hitch Installed (manually removable)

post-107742-0-59260400-1409668719_thumb.

Trailer - Byte 3 - Choose the appropriate option

Byte 1 - Set to 01 - Trailer connector diagnosis active

post-107742-0-12196800-1409668722_thumb.

post-107742-0-49964200-1409668724_thumb.

If you have Lane Assist then the A5 Lane Assist Camera needs coding for Trailer as well - If anyone has a screenshot of this please PM me - it is documented in the VCDS label file.

The Front Assist radar needs coding as well - it is a documented coding option in VCDS.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Enable trunk lid lock delay

This will enable the delay on locking the trunk lid when opened from the remote when the car is locked. So, if you shut the trunk and then realise you have left the keys in the boot it doesn't lock straight away, you have about 27 seconds (thanks @mberger for timing it) to open it again before it locks.

Controller 09

10 - Adaptations

Change (26)-Access control-Freigabenachlauf Heck nach Einzeloeffnung ueber HDF-Funktaster to active

post-61868-0-69196200-1444403941_thumb.png

• Like 4

Enabling cornering fogs with additional settings for vRS

This enables the fog lights to function as cornering lights.

10 - Adaptations

Change the channels listed below - scroll to just over halfway down the long list of adaptation channels to find them. Do them one after the other, and do not come out of the adaptations until you have finished. If you do, you will have to close the controller and go back in and enter the security access code again. If on a vRS you only want the outer 2 bulbs to function as cornering fogs, then don't alter the first two channels, just alter the two channels listed as additional for the vRS, which are for the outer two bulbs.

Change (5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 to Abbiegelicht links
post-61868-0-42390300-1444761325_thumb.png

Change (5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 to Abbiegelicht rechts 
post-61868-0-21472300-1444761338_thumb.png

Additional for vRS models only:

Change (5)-Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion B 8 to Abbiegelicht links
post-61868-0-15241400-1444761350_thumb.png

Change (5)-Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion B 9 to Abbiegelicht rechts
post-61868-0-69581800-1444761359_thumb.png

For non-vRS models only the first two adaptations need doing as you only have 2 bulbs :-)

PLEASE ENSURE YOU CHOOSE ABBIEGELICHT LINKS / RECHTS (CORNERING) AND NOT ABBLENDLICHT (LOW BEAM) - a number of users have PM'd me to ask why the fog lights are permanently lit, it is because they have just set them as low beam instead of cornering fogs

Piccie courtesy of Ollybroad
post-61868-0-04712200-1444761369_thumb.jpg

Link to original thread
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/298170-enabling-cornering-fogs-with-vcds-updated-for-vrs/

• Like 4

DRLs flash in phase with indicators

This will cause the LED DRL to go off when the indicator bulb is off, and go back to the brightness it was before when the indicator is on, so flashing in phase with the indicator

10 - Adaptations

(16)Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion G 2 from "not active" to "Blinken links dunkelphase" 

Check that (18)Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert GH 2 is “0”

(19)Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimming Direction GH 2 from "maximise" to "minimize" 

(16)Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion G 3 auf "not active" to "Blinken rechts dunkelphase" 

Check that (18)Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert GH 3 is “0”

(19)Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimming Direction GH 3 from "maximise" to "minimize"

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Coding for LED sidelight bulbs on Xenon headlights

Controller 09

Security Access 31347

Adaptations

The channels you need to change are:
(1)-Leuchte16BLK SLB35BLK SL KC9-Lasttyp 16 to 6 - LED Lichtmodul 
(1)-Leuchte17TFL R BLK SRB3TFL R BLK SR KC3-Lasttyp 17 to 6 - LED Lichtmodul
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • ColinD unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

I was asked to add this by @FluffyEyeball

I've enabled this on my MY15 Octavia vRS 2.0TSI using OBDeleven, it works as it should with no faults as of yet:

High Beams and Fogs Flash Together:

19- Central Electronics

16- Security code 31347

10- Adaptations

Left side:

- Leuchte12NL LB45 Lichtfunktion C 12 "nicht aktiv" > Nebellicht links

- Leuchte 12NL LB45 Lichtfunktion D 12 "nicht aktiv" > Lichthupe generell

- Leuchte 12NL LB45 Dimmwert CD12 “0” > 127

- Leuchte 12NL LB45 Dimming Direction CD 12 > "maximize" (this was already set to 'maximize' on mine, but if it isn't ensure you change it)

Right side:

- Leuchte 13NL RB5 Lichtfunktion C 13 “not active” > Nebellicht rechts

- Leuchte 13NL RB5 Lichtfunktion D13 “not active” > Lichthupe generell

- Leuchte 13NL RB5 Dimmwert  CD 13 “0” > 127

- Leuchte 13NL RB5 Dimming direction CD 13 > “maximize” (this was already set to 'maximize' on mine, but if it isn't ensure you change it)

If you want the front fog lights come on with standard main beam also (i.e. not just on the flash setting) instead change these channels to these values:

- Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion C 12 "nicht aktiv" > Fernlicht links

- Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion C 13 "nicht aktiv" > Fernlicht rechts 

Additionally, for the vRS to enable the outer foglights as well:

Left side:

- Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion C8 "nicht aktiv" > Fernlicht links (or ‘Nebellicht links’ for just the flash setting)

- Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion D8 "nicht aktiv" > Lichthupe generell

- Leuchte8FL LB39-Dimmwert CD8 "0" > 127

- Leuchte8FL LB39-DImming Direction CD8 > "maximise" (this was already set to 'maximize' on mine, but if it isn't ensure you change it)

Right side:

- Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfuntion C9 > nicht aktiv > Fernlicht rechts (or ‘Nebellicht links’ for just the flash setting)

- Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion D9 "nicht aktiv" > Lichthupe generell

- Leuchte9FL RB2-Dimmwert CD9 "0" > 127

- Leuchte9FL RB2-Dimming Direction CD9 > "maximize" (this was already set to 'maximize' on mine, but if it isn't ensure you change it)