Water Leak

Vectis

The Thursday before Xmas when I got in the car first thing in the morning I had a lot of condensation on the windscreen that took a while to clear, the next morning I had the same problem, at the weekend I had a look and found a wet patch under the drivers mat, I dried the mat off and booked in with the garage for them to have a look at it. When I picked it up they told me they would need it for longer than a day and booked it in for 7th Jan as they had noticed there was a wet patch on the headlining just above the trim on the right hand side of the windscreen. I mentioned about Yeti_man's findings but they have been ruled out and they have now had the car four days with water testing and video's being taken with an endoscope type device and sent to Skoda Technical but as of yet no solution has been put forward. So missing the Yeti!

The Thursday before Xmas when I got in the car first thing in the morning I had a lot of condensation on the windscreen that took a while to clear, the next morning I had the same problem, at the weekend I had a look and found a wet patch under the drivers mat, I dried the mat off and booked in with the garage for them to have a look at it. When I picked it up they told me they would need it for longer than a day and booked it in for 7th Jan as they had noticed there was a wet patch on the headlining just above the trim on the right hand side of the windscreen. I mentioned about Yeti_man's findings but they have been ruled out and they have now had the car four days with water testing and video's being taken with an endoscope type device and sent to Skoda Technical but as of yet no solution has been put forward. So missing the Yeti!

I had something similar with my Roomster and despite various tests they couldn't find any leaks.  I then had to have the windscreen replaced and they found that the original sealant hadn't bonded properly. They cleaned it all out and resealed, no further problem.

Fred

Hi,

I too discovered a water leak, but on the passenger side and come to think of it just before Christmas I had condensation on the windscreen which I do not normally have.

Mine goes into Lookers Stockport this Monday to resolve. I've attached a photo which actually shows a drip if you look closely. I did have the sunroof 're-set' this Autumn as it was found not to have been installed correctly, wonder if this is related! I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mike

post-97434-0-42754000-1389457305_thumb.jpg

Good luck with Lookers Stockport they have been hit and miss with me (1 epic fail and 1 okay result!).

mine will be in there next week getting the ballast units replaced and then back as somepoint so they can have another pop at the sunroof.

its been re-set twice now but still doesnt like closing when you actually want/need it too!!!

Hi,

I too discovered a water leak, but on the passenger side and come to think of it just before Christmas I had condensation on the windscreen which I do not normally have.

Mine goes into Lookers Stockport this Monday to resolve. I've attached a photo which actually shows a drip if you look closely. I did have the sunroof 're-set' this Autumn as it was found not to have been installed correctly, wonder if this is related! I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mike

_1050835.JPG

Same as mine. Dealers have failed once to sort it already. Might give them another go. I think it's the connection to the drain as per the topic about leaking rooves pinned in this section.

I wouldn't have another with the sunroof.

• Like 1

Fred's already mentioned it but have you had the windscreen replaced recently or is it fairly factory fresh? (They can also leak from the factory!)

I have noticed a drip from the rear view mirror mount after very heavy rain (it drips onto the cd slot unfortunately) but have not yet been to the dealers as feared it would be the windscreen seal at fault as I do not have a sunroof.

Steve

This may sound daft, but if you think it could be the windscreen seal, could you temporarily seal up the exterior windscreen-to-body joints with adhesive tape and see if the water stops coming in ? IE clean the edge of the screen, and the edge of the body, and seal it over with tape.

Then go grazy with a garden hose over the top & sides of the screen to see if it still comes in.

Even if it's just sellotape or some good quality masking tape, it should be enough to prove it, and would be easy to remove afterwards.

Hi,

Mine goes into Lookers Stockport this Monday to resolve. I've attached a photo which actually shows a drip if you look closely. I did have the sunroof 're-set' this Autumn as it was found not to have been installed correctly, wonder if this is related! I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mike

attachicon.gif_1050835.JPG

I'll keep you posted as this sounds quite similar, how old is your L&k, mine is 6 months old but this is the first lot of real rain since I got the car so it could easily have been there from the factory.

We have just had a soaked passenger footwell in an 8 month old sunroof Yeti. The local dealer found that the sunroof drain tube was badly kinked (this must have been done during assembly) towards the bottom where there is a reinforcing tape on the tube. Replacement tube fitted. Hopefully this has sorted it.

Dear All,

Just to update you on my recent water leak, Lookers in Stockport said they were aware of this as a known issue (as others have posted) which was due to the drainage blockage from the sunroof and was quickly fixed within the day. Just have the floor mat to dry out now.

Whilst it was in they also fixed my glove box that did not shut as the push button did not retract back and also my key fob blade that did not spring open when the button was pushed, all covered by warranty as the car is 9 months old. 

The only thing they did not remedy as they were unsure if it was an actual fault was my headlight washers which I thought operated after every 5 depresses irrespective of whether the ignition is on/off - mine seems to reset when the engine switches off, so the first push after every engine start washes the headlights, I'm sure but not certain that it didn't do this previously - is this normal?

Kind regards,

Mike

Mike, that's normal.

Each time you start the car, the count is reset, but the headlight washers will only work with the headlights on.

There was a thread about this a while back and it was suggested that if you don't want the headlight washers to work on each first use, just clean the screen with lights off before driving away.

Saves a bucket load of screen wash. :)

Thanks for the feedback regarding the headlight washers, thinking about it now it was in the summer when I tested the washers and that's when the lights wouldn't be on anyway. It's only now when in use more, dark mornings & nights with dirty roads I have noticed.

Hi,

Just to add to anyone who is interested; I thought it was just a matter of drying out my mats after the leaking sunroof episode, but have only discovered today (As first weekend to check) that the carpet under the mats is soaked through on the passenger side & the rear nearside too. The water seems to be trapped in 'indents' in the car's bodywork in the foot-wells and I had to press a sponge on the carpets to soak up the water - I think I've mopped most of it up (after an hour) but it will take longer to dry out though. Just hope I don't have a reoccurrence and is probably the reason why I still have excessive condensation (water dripping on windscreen) inside the vehicle during cold periods.

Many thanks,

Mike

i had a seal leak in my BMW z3 roadster so I feel your pain ........

the best way to get it back to normal is get as much as you can via towels and the like . then get some of those dehumidifiers   not electronic ones the ones you use bags of beads to soak it up ...... 

put them in the car and it will amaze you how much they pick up .... 

also when in the car run you heater at full as much as you can , but also have your air conditioning on recirculate  also . the air-con on when using heat it actually dries the air for you .........

The best way I have heard of is to remove the carpets and keep them warm and well ventilated until properly dry. My friend Dave the painter has done this in his spray booth. In summer op-en air will do the trick.

I used to run a Peugot 306 cabrio which had a phase of filling it's boot with water.

I would definitely turn off (any) recirculation. Good luck.

I would definitely turn it on (so long as you make sure the aircon is on to dehumidify the air).

You want to make the air in the car as dry as possible so it extracts moisture out of the carpet, so keep the same air in the car (by using recirculation) and keep extracting moisture from it (by ensuring aircon is on).

You'll never get the air as dry if you're constantly drawing moist air in from outside.

Our Mondeo leaked a lot of water in through the sunroof, the floors were soaked - and there's load of think soundproofing under the carpets that acts like a sponge to hold the water.

I first got as much as I could out, by putting layers of dry towels on the carpet, then standing on them to try and soak as much water out as I could.

Then on every drive, straight away turn on recirculation and aircon.

Got there in the end. Removing carpets was too much faff, to many bits of trim to remove (and break in the process!).

Pasquale,

Pop into Robert days or Asda. They do moisture soaking bags for about £5 or £10 for the large one.

Filled with silica gel and reuse able after heating in a microwave.

They'll help soak up a lot of the moisture.