top speed

On our last trip to Germany we got bored at one point. Floored it in on a quiet stretch.

It kicked down to 5th and stayed in that for ages until finally shifting to 6th as the road levelled off. We got 119mph on the GPS. Book top speed of the car is 117.

In our old car Seat Cordoba PD130 I once had 138mph gps out of it on the Autobahn. As far as I am aware it was standard but the book top speed was 128mph.

Phil

Despite all the Mk2s having clever fuel mapping systems I believe the top speed varies very much depending on the conditions.

Wind, weather, slope  can all make several MPH difference.

Octy Mk2 TSI FL VRS still pulling well at 135.  

Fabia 2 VRS stops pulling significantly over 125 I find and is very sensitive to wind direction as it is relatively un-aerodynamic and suffers from heat soak ie seem to go best after a few miles but not so well after dozens of miles expecially in warm weather.

As many of my biking buddies have found out, get done at twice the speed limit or more and you could be look at time in prison so keep it on the track. 

Despite all the Mk2s having clever fuel mapping systems I believe the top speed varies very much depending on the conditions.

Wind, weather, slope  can all make several MPH difference.

Octy Mk2 TSI FL VRS still pulling well at 135.  

Fabia 2 VRS stops pulling significantly over 125 I find and is very sensitive to wind direction as it is relatively un-aerodynamic and suffers from heat soak ie seem to go best after a few miles but not so well after dozens of miles expecially in warm weather.

As many of my biking buddies have found out, get done at twice the speed limit or more and you could be look at time in prison so keep it on the track. 

I've found going past 80 in a Mk2 Fabia vRS the front does go quite light.

mk1 estate fabia goes quiet at 100+

and an indicated 126 is rather windy in a mk1 mx5  :rofl:

not sure about the octy

I don't think there's a road long enough for my 105PD!

You'd be surprised.

As above ours got just over the book top speed relatively quickly with 2 adults, folding bikes on the back seat and the boot full.

Phil

Never noticed that Martyn. If anything mine becomes more planted at higher speeds. Solid as a rock.

Fabia vRS not Octavia. Sorry for the confusion. Oddly the Mk1 Fabia vRS was very stable at higher speeds. Must be the derv lump

To answer the first question, yes. Of all my cars up to now.

Living in Germany makes that a bit easier (and the autobahns I use to drive).

• Like 1