I have had my Octavia Hatch Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG now since early October. 11,500 miles under the belt. Overall I'm loving the car but I have a few really annoying problems that my dealer's service department seem absolutely clueless about and unable to help or fix (and in some cases made the problem worse). I need to go to them armed with facts and how to fix the problems otherwise they are going to try and keep fobbing me off.

- Xenon light goes all over the place

I specced the Xenons with LED running lights as an optional extra. My drivers side (UK driver's side) headlight has developed a mind of its own. It's important to note that this problem wasn't present the first few thousand miles I had the car and has gone from being rare to a regular occurrence. It tends to stray off to the far right (sometimes up to a 30 degree angle)- dazzling oncoming traffic. It's not AFS as the left one doesn't do it. I can get the beam to come back in line by putting on my front fogs for a second and then turning them off. Once i've done that, it's back to normal but then slowly drifts out of line again. When I took it to the dealer, they looked at me like they had no idea what I was on about. They said they would take a look at it after they finished my 10k service. After collection, the mechanic said he had "adjusted" the light. I didn't know what this meant as this didn't solve the problem I had described. That evening i saw what he meant - my entire driver side light was aimed down so the light would only throw about 2/3rds of the way in front of my car as the passenger side light did!! Has anyone had this before? Is it software? Is it hardware? What did you do to get it fixed?

- Front Assist/Adaptive Cruise Errors

I was one of the lucky people to be able to get Front Assist and I also specced ACC. I love them and actually use them way more than I thought I would. The adaptive cruise is SO nice on a 73 mile daily RT commute so when I don't have it, it's very annoying which makes this bug very frustrating. On a number of occasions, I will get a message on the maxi dot saying ACC/Front Assist not available. This either happens from starting the car or in the middle of using it as I drive. In both instances that error pops up and the function won't work until the car has been off for 6-8 hours. I've tried toggling settings, turning the car off and back on again, anything to get it to comeback on and it simply doesn't. There isn't anything obstructing the sensor or any damage to it. When I'm driving, it is always the case that the system is engaged when it stops working and produces the error. Has anyone else experienced this? When I had the dealers look at it they said they couldn't see anything wrong. I asked them to check the logs to see if there were any errors and they said they didn't see any (despite it erroring the day before I took it in). The only way of troubleshooting it was to drive it around until it happened. They didn't even know what the error message I was describing meant and needed to see pictures!!

- Map update not showing road names

This is a bizarre one. I used the Navteq site to update to the new maps on my Admundsen back in November. When I did the update, everything went fine in terms of decompressing and loading on to the card. When I fired up the car though, the maps didn't show the road names at all. There would be blue boxes where "M25" should be but no text inside, same thing with the green boxes for A roads. There were little name "anchors" on roads but no names. Everything else worked fine and it knew the road name I was on and would display this on the maxi dot with compass but just not on the map on the screen! I tried DLing both the whole and the multi piece download, both with the same results.  When I took it in, the dealers looked at me and said that a - there are no map updates or software updates as it's a new car (which is not what I've heard form others on here!) b - there is no way to update maps by downloading new ones c - they don't know what's wrong and it must be that I downloaded maps from a non-approved source. 

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone out there can help as these 3 niglling bugs are starting to ruin the experience for me!!

For the ACC error, when it occurs was it raining heavily or foggy/misty?

The vag group use a LIDAR system for ACC which might not work well in bad weather conditions.

I had a Focus with ACC which was the same in heavy rain.

It would display a message saying something like "ACC unavailable, sensor blocked"

Can't comment on the first two sorry as so far my xenons have been great (touch wood) and I don't have ACC.

I do however have the same problem with the nav. I don't remember if the road names/numbers were there when I first got the car but they are not there on either of the two updates I've done. Both updates I've done via the Skoda website too.

If anyone knows why or how to get them on I'd also appreciate a fix for this :-)

I've only got the xenons but I'm afraid to say mine did the same.

I've no idea what was the cause or the fix as the car has went back, sorry!

I'm sure there was a similar post somewhere else.

No but the drivers seat base on my 2 and a bit week old less than 1k mile Elegance is already lifting away from the seat foam and has to be flattened by hand.

Skoda really cant seem to get anything other than cloth seats right it would seem; having had perfect cloth trim but baggy full leather and now Alcantara leather mix across my last three Skoda cars.

Edited by pipsyp

ive had my acc fail once when I started the car, got an orange light, turned off and its never happened since.  Re the rain Ive been through mental rainstorms this winter and its never failed once.

Sounds to me like its very broke.  You should write a log in a diary of every occurrence and take it to the dealers.  If you dont get any luck with the "theres no errors in the scan" then take it up with Skoda UK and list when its failed.

not sure on the others sorry.

No problems with the bi-xenons on my car thankfully and haven't done a map update yet (thought I'd get the dealer to do this when it goes in for its first service in a couple of months time - then it's his fault if it goes wrong)!! Can't comment on the ACC as haven't got this option on my car.

I've only had mine a couple of days and so far so good. But with your problem with your Xenons, is your driving mode set to SPORT?, have you tried disabling AFS on the driving mode screen (Eco)? Does it still do it then? Not sure about how the 'technician' repairing it by pointing it down at the road though.

My Xenons are set to the most active mode (sport i think). They do move a lot with only minor steering wheel movements, but is much more 'relaxed' when in Normal mode.

I've got Front Assist, and is working fine so far. Finger crossed.

My satnav was delivered with up to date maps thankfully and all road names are shown on the map. Not sure if i want to do any future updates until it is sorted though

- Map update not showing road names

This is a bizarre one. I used the Navteq site to update to the new maps on my Admundsen back in November. When I did the update, everything went fine in terms of decompressing and loading on to the card. When I fired up the car though, the maps didn't show the road names at all. There would be blue boxes where "M25" should be but no text inside, same thing with the green boxes for A roads. There were little name "anchors" on roads but no names. Everything else worked fine and it knew the road name I was on and would display this on the maxi dot with compass but just not on the map on the screen! I tried DLing both the whole and the multi piece download, both with the same results.  When I took it in, the dealers looked at me and said that a - there are no map updates or software updates as it's a new car (which is not what I've heard form others on here!) b - there is no way to update maps by downloading new ones c - they don't know what's wrong and it must be that I downloaded maps from a non-approved source. 

Have you not sorted the road names problem you posted on the 11th Nov 13? I would suggest you get the dealer to order a new SD card from Skoda or ask Skoda UK to sort it.

One reply to previous post was from "dellfan" who seemed to do a download OK - you could PM him to ask what he did.

When you did the download did you do a copy of the SD card before formatting. If all else fails copy the original files back onto the card.

The offside headlight is supposed to drift to the right at lower speeds, this is City Mode I think, all covered in the handbook. It is designed so it lights up the kerb on the opposite side of the road so you can spot pedestrians.

It should drift back when stationary, or at higher speeds, or when you engage fog lights.

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

The offside headlight is supposed to drift to the right at lower speeds, this is City Mode I think, all covered in the handbook. It is designed so it lights up the kerb on the opposite side of the road so you can spot pedestrians.It should drift back when stationary, or at higher speeds, or when you engage fog lights.Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

I agree, my old Superb II used to do this when in slow moving traffic, but when I came to a halt, it would move back to the left and you could sometimes see this in reflections off the vehicle in front.

The AHL system operates in the following modes.

Out of town mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is similar to the low beam. The mode is
active if none of the following modes are active.
City mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that it illuminates the adjacent
pavement, crossings, etc. The mode is active at speeds of 15-50 km/h.
Motorway mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can respond
in time to an obstruction or other hazard in time. The mode is active at speeds
above 110 km/h.
Rain mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can reduce
the glare from oncoming vehicles in rain.
?
?
The mode is active at speeds of 50 – 90 km/h and if the windscreen wipers continuously
operate for a period of time longer than 2 minutes. The mode is deactivated
when the windscreen wipers are switched off for longer than 8 minutes.
Fog mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver is not dazzled
by the reflection of the cone of light by fog in front of the vehicle.
The mode is active at speeds of 15 – 70 km/h and if the rear fog light is switched
on for a period of time longer than 10 seconds. The mode is deactivated when the
rear fig light is switched off for longer than 5 seconds.
Dynamic cornering lights
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted to the steering angle so that
the road in the curve is illuminated. This function is active at speeds greater than
10 km.h and in all AFS modes.
Tourist light
This mode makes it possible to drive in countries with opposing traffic system
(driving on the left/right) without dazzling the oncoming vehicles.
When the “tourist light” mode is active, the above-mentioned modes and the side
swivel of the headlights is deactivated.

Hi,

I also have this Xenon troubles, but on mine it only happens when it's raining, and at all speeds. So it's not the city mode.

Sometimes they point straight then all suddenly my driver one move to the side.

See my old post :

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/303488-adaptive-headlights/?hl=%2Bafs#entry3630843

Dealer asked me to try to switch them to manual, but this disable the AFS and both beams are moving back to the correct position. Switch them back on auto and few minutes later they move back to this strange position. No news from dealer since...

Hi,

I also have this Xenon troubles, but on mine it only happens when it's raining, and at all speeds. So it's not the city mode.

Sometimes they point straight then all suddenly my driver one move to the side.

So your problem is rain mode?

it says 'to reduce dazzle from oncoming vehicles'. My guess is that by lighting up that side of the road more than normal, your eyes will be more used to the light so the oncoming headlights wont 'appear' so bright against the otherwise pitch black road.

Rain will deflect light upwards a little which will also make the oncoming headlights seem brighter to you in the rain, so i reckon it is functioning as intended when you see the driver-side light moving to the side when its raining of foggy

Edited by Rob123
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this - It's in the dealers now and I'm in a loaner for the time being. I'll update everyone when I have the car back. Thanks for everyone's help!

• 1 month later...

Mine has the 'Tired eye' on drivers side, whatever the speed but only on full beam. Dealer says there is an update to be done to cure this, sevice time they can do it.