Superskoda hood power damper

I had this modification on my 2008 Octy vRS and really wanted to get it for my 2014 Octy vRS. So I've just gone and ordered the following from Onlinecarparts.co.uk, so hopefully everything will turn up and be just as required:

FEBI BILSTEIN, M6 Ball Socket x2, №: 04006

FEBI BILSTEIN, M8 Ball Socket x2, №: 04260

FEBI BILSTEIN, Gas Spring x2, №: 27709 - This is for the IBIZA II

Those that have fitted their's, does the M6 go on the bonnet or the wing?

Cheers

Hi Benjamin, I would like to go down this same route for this mod on my MY16 Octavia - please could you either post your results when you complete it, or PM me? I am especially interested to hear if you find the gas lift pressures sufficient (or too much) with these Bilsteins. Also, do you notice any flexing of the wing at the lower mounting point? 

Warrior193 

• Like 1

FEBI BILSTEIN, M8 Ball Socket x2, №: 04260 has a 13mm ball head that is too big for the damper.

The damper itself is ok, but even weaker one could do the job (250N would be just ok)

• Like 1

FEBI BILSTEIN, M8 Ball Socket x2, №: 04260 has a 13mm ball head that is too big for the damper.

The damper itself is ok, but even weaker one could do the job (250N would be just ok)

Thanks for that info WLange, can you tell me the correct size ball head required for the Bilstein damper?

Warrior193.

I guess most dampers have same size; that M6 above was ok - it was 8 or 10mm. I can try to cross-check it tomorrow.

General problem is that majority of kits offered on the market and solutions proposed in various forums suggest using dampers with excessive force (up to 500N). I did some calc and even half of that is enough to hold the hood. I ave used 525mm 320N set from SEAT and I have to say even that seems a bit overpowered.

Hi Benjamin, I would like to go down this same route for this mod on my MY16 Octavia - please could you either post your results when you complete it, or PM me? I am especially interested to hear if you find the gas lift pressures sufficient (or too much) with these Bilsteins. Also, do you notice any flexing of the wing at the lower mounting point? 

Warrior193 

Hello mate,

Still waiting for the kit to turn up. If it doesn't arrive before next weekend then my review will have to wait, as I'm away on business for 6 weeks.

I'll keep you advised.

I guess most dampers have same size; that M6 above was ok - it was 8 or 10mm. I can try to cross-check it tomorrow.

General problem is that majority of kits offered on the market and solutions proposed in various forums suggest using dampers with excessive force (up to 500N). I did some calc and even half of that is enough to hold the hood. I ave used 525mm 320N set from SEAT and I have to say even that seems a bit overpowered.

So are you saying that my M8 ball socket is way too large for this SEAT Ibiza damper then?... bugger!!

How can I tell what size I need then? Do I need 4 x M6 instead?

So my M8 will be to large then? Guess I need to order an extra 2 x M6 ball sockets for this to fit?

You do need M6 (body) and M8 (hood). The only problem is to have proper sized ball heads on them. I bought M8 from Bilstein and the ball was 13mm - way to big to fit into the clip of the damper...I still have 2 pieces - can be yours if you like ;)

Other one (M6) had the head just right diameter (10mm I guess) - both damper ends are the same.

You do not want them - smiley there in my post was an indication that I'm not being exactly serious;) M8 I have left have 13mm head that wouldn't fit to your damper. Anyway - I could give them for free, but since I live now in Germany, the shipping costs would make it rather poor deal. My suggestion is: buy the damper and the M6 ball head screw and then check the fit, measure the diameter and only then look for a M8 version with same head. I found mine on ebay. All this will take you another week of waiting but will surely save you from unnecessary expense of buying the M8 from Bilstein. Check the gas spring force!

Cheers!

Did mine last week.  Used these bits from eBay:

281908557057 - 10mm M8 Ball Stud

281924775546 - 10mm M6 Ball Stud

151884718815 - Gas Struts

Then used some stainless penny washers and touch up paint to make it look oem.

• Like 3

+1 from me ;)

only thing I would suggest is slightly longer struts (525 is optimal rather than 515/520) with a bit less force (I've got 350N and those seem to be a bit to harsh sometimes).

• Like 1

Thanks for that information.

I've brought the M8 and M6 however, I purchased the Gas Strut for the Mk2 Ibiza rather than the Fiat ones like you suggested. Lets hope it all fits.

Hello mate,

Still waiting for the kit to turn up. If it doesn't arrive before next weekend then my review will have to wait, as I'm away on business for 6 weeks.

I'll keep you advised.

Hi Ben, thanks, I've gone ahead and ordered the Bilstein Ibiza struts anyway. I got a fairly good price on FleaBay - I should be able to pick them up this week so just have to source the correct ball-head bolts. I will post my results as soon as I get it all together. Special thanks to WLange and Alex for their advice. 

Warrior193.

Hi all.

Been following this thread with interest as I plan to do same.

Some good advice here, thanks guys.

Edited by Mence

A question to all members who have done this mod - is it necessary to mount the dampers "upside down", Ie. with the ram pointing down and forward? Will this not work with the cylinder mounted to the wing rather than the hood hinge? To me the set-up looks a little strange/not OEM when they are mounted as in Milanj's post.

I am just waiting for the second damper to arrive - I went with the Ibiza 11 ones - Bilstein 27709 gas spring (525mm travel, 350N) the cylinder of the one I have received so far is actually branded "Stabilus, Lift-O-Mat"  and marked  7266HZ 0350N 058/16 CC 05. Offering up this unit to the hood in the open position looks to be a good fit so far, I will post when I receive the second strut and get them mounted.

Warrior193.  

A question to all members who have done this mod - is it necessary to mount the dampers "upside down", Ie. with the ram pointing down and forward? Will this not work with the cylinder mounted to the wing rather than the hood hinge? To me the set-up looks a little strange/not OEM when they are mounted as in Milanj's post.

To me this way looks more OEM and it seems it's usual way of doing it. At least by Googling it:

https://www.google.si/search?q=hood+dampers

Are they mounted the same way on boot doors?

To me this way looks more OEM and it seems it's usual way of doing it. At least by Googling it:

https://www.google.si/search?q=hood+dampers

Are they mounted the same way on boot doors?

The rear hatch on the estate ends with the ram uppermost (Ie. cylinder down) when open, so does the Wife's Jazz. I'm inclined to try mounting my hood struts this way when I get the rest of the gear.

Warrior193. 

The rear hatch on the estate ends with the ram uppermost (Ie. cylinder down) when open, so does the Wife's Jazz. I'm inclined to try mounting my hood struts this way when I get the rest of the gear.

Warrior193.

It should fit and work without problem also that way.

OK, slight change of plan - I pulled out the fixing-point bolts on one side yesterday and found that the 8mm bolt on the hinge mounting is actually quite long. The 8mm ball studs (10 mm ball) that I got from FleaBay only have 12mm of thread  - which does not leave more than about 3 or 4 threads engaged in the hood mount once you place flat washers under the stud. These bolts are originally tightened up to a fairly high torque and I wouldn't like to risk stripping the threads when tightening the new ones. The front (6mm) studs are OK as the wing bracket is not as thick. So I have now ordered some longer ball studs from an engineering company whose name is three letters, first and last letter is "S" (unsure if the forum rules allow me to name them!) and they can supply 10mm ball, M8 x 1.25 ball studs with 25mm long threads - product code SKU X4. These studs are zinc-plated, but they also can supply stainless steel if you want them. I will be much happier with these threaded fully into the hinge mounting plate.

This company could be useful to anyone thinking of doing this mod, as they supply a wide range of gas struts.

Warrior193. 

Time for a little rant as I'm a more than a little annoyed with the supplier who took my order for the second gas strut (I had to order 1 each from two suppliers due to low stock) No name - no pack drill but their first name is the same as the top English football league, second name is "Factors". No strut received on date stated, raised inquiry with FleaBay, got a message back from supplier " apologies, but item listed on FleaBay was actually a Monroe strut - not the Bilstein one as advertised, and would I mind if they supplied the Monroe strut instead" I contacted them directly and it transpires that they don't have the Monroe strut either (which they had offered as a substitute and was, allegedly, what they had originally sold to me) in stock, but it would have to be specially ordered from Belgium! At a substantially higher price! Grrrrrrrrrr.

There, I feel much better now, especially after I gave the appropriate feedback on FleaBay and spent 30 minutes in a darkened room. Another week to wait for a replacement from a different supplier, hey - ho.

Warrior193. 

• 2 weeks later...

Success at last, the second strut finally arrived from Germany this morning - mounted straight onto the ball pins with a little lithium grease and job's a goodun. Really pleased with the way that the weight of the hood is picked up once it's about 25% open, then gently comes to a stop on full extension. Just need to apply a bit of touch-up paint to the base of the ball pins. I'm inclined to bin the old support stay as soon as I'm happy that the new struts aren't leaking.

Warrior193.