Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

Let us know which fuse you use. I'm after a switched live for phone charger and a permanent live for the dashcam when the car arrives. But I'm not sure which are switched and which aren't without having the car to jab with a meter.

Number 40 (full size fuse) is the one for the 12v socket which I believe is permanently powered.

I'll probably use 24 for a switched feed which is the panoramic roof, but if you've not got that as an option it won't be there for you.

• Like 1

If you use the diagram and fuse numbers in the manual/handbook it should give you a good idea but previous models have had a reversed fusebox but think it looked relatively accurate when I did mine. The dashcam thread I found on Briskoda suggested the rear-wiper for a switched live and this is what I used. Can't remember the number though sorry. It was low down on the fuse box though on the left hand side of a pair next to each other.

I have a hard wired camera in the front but on the read window I have a eprance 0801 powered by the USB port in the boot. Whenever I have it attached to the rear window, my DAB ceases to function. I originally had it on the top 2 lines so I moved it down and I still was getting interference.

Has anyone experienced this or, alternatively, anyone have their camera on the rear window without this issue?

Here's my 803 in place. It's barely visible from the drivers seat, and while it's not facing exactly forward it's a very wide angle lens so shouldn't compromise the footage.

Thanks, how are you finding the 803 and is the parking mode worth it? I can't make my mind up between the 803 and the action cam.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've been off work sick all week, so haven't been anywhere with it yet. That was yesterday afternoons work when I felt better for an hour.

Today has been spent wearing out the carpet between bed and bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

6a8b3f20e12a4b419d996682c7e66ffa.jpg

Does anyone who ordered the Blackvue have any idea how you wire this low battery device to? I'm planning on piggy backing a fuse so any help on the following wires would be great so I know which needs to go to the fuse, earth etc.

Black: Battery -

Yellow: Battery +

White: ACC

Looks like black is an earth, yellow is permanent live and white is a switched live (i'm guessing ACC means accessory)

Looking back at your photos you have put it right against the lane assist camera unit etc. Mine has bobbles over the windscreen glass here but I can't see that on yours....is it just the photo or is your glass clear? I was hoping to stick mine in exactly the same place as the bobbles should obscure a bit of the camera from the outside but the lens sticks out just enough to avoid them and would have a clear view. Just worried about whether it would stick to the windscreen or not.

Apologies for the poor descriptions above!

Looking back at your photos you have put it right against the lane assist camera unit etc. Mine has bobbles over the windscreen glass here but I can't see that on yours....is it just the photo or is your glass clear? I was hoping to stick mine in exactly the same place as the bobbles should obscure a bit of the camera from the outside but the lens sticks out just enough to avoid them and would have a clear view. Just worried about whether it would stick to the windscreen or not.

Apologies for the poor descriptions above!

I know what you mean, the the black dots are actually in between the two laminates of glass so that area if you feel it, is totally smooth.  Just be careful on how high you put it as you don't want it looking through an area of glass that isn't wiped by the windscreen wipers.

Almost 98% decided on a dual-channel Blackvue once I pick the car up next Tuesday. Anyone who actually has a car in their possession able to see a way to run a cable (unseen) from the front screen to the rear screen without affecting the 'head' airbags?

This thread has been a great help -- thanks! :)

I've finished setting up my Mobius camera today... I finally had the guts to take off the plastic cover to hide the wire to the left windscreen column (note: my column didn't have an airbag symbol on the plastic, but did have an airbag inside [i think that was mentioned earlier in the thread]... I just tucked the USB cable above the airbag "thingy", alongside the other wires).

The Mobius camera lens is on an extension cable, so the only visible bit is the lens itself.

Everything's stuck on with 3M Mini Command Clips -- I got the "water resistant" ones (think this might help keep 'em stuck if there's any condensation of the windscreen in the morning, etc)

I tried it stuck on top of the mirror, but it got in the way adjusting the mirror.  Where it is now gives easy access to the MicroSD card & I can see both LEDs clearly.

I've also ordered a supercapcitor to replace the battery... but going to check everything's running OK before I change anything else.

I'm also planning on wiring in to a switched live, but really don't think I have the confidence to be "messing around" with the fuse box (although I did get the glovebox out to look at it... which was a challenge in itself!)

:)

post-120197-0-84781800-1413307725_thumb.jpg

post-120197-0-31334000-1413307732_thumb.jpg

Almost 98% decided on a dual-channel Blackvue once I pick the car up next Tuesday. Anyone who actually has a car in their possession able to see a way to run a cable (unseen) from the front screen to the rear screen without affecting the 'head' airbags?

That's what I've got (the 650gw). I've managed to get the power cable running along the roof lining edge and down the left windscreen pilar to the fuse box but struggling with the cable to the rear screen. I can get to the top of the pillar between the front and rear doors but can't seem to nudge the cable between the top of the pilar plastic and the roof lining. As there is an airbag behind there that may be why.

I'm thinking it probably needs to run down to the fuse box with the other cable and then around the bottom of the door and to the back that way...there seems to be enough cable to do it that way anyway and it will allow me to bunch up any spare cable in the fuse box area. It was getting a bit too dark to carry on so left it with the front camera setup and working and will sort the rear camera over the weekend.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3
  • Like 1

Finished installing yesterday morning - Blackvue 650GW (front and rear camera).

Here is the front:

d932d7faf7c0673455a4ef6ae9805a33.jpg

1bc5ad60321c1eb0162a0f841ca4855e.jpg

e6eb9f392f4520b3322726c022298bbc.jpg

Here is the rear:

64ae81ac535b0c2b94c40a17ae47a496.jpg

637bc82f31ca0fe38b2c2cc5add59a1b.jpg

I ran the cables along the roof in the end and not the floor. I managed to use a flat head screwdriver with electrical tape wrapped around the end (to blunt it) and used that as a tool to poke the cable under the pilar bit where the front seatbelts retract from.

294ee6d196114359b3e670da15b069ac.jpg

Only thing I'm unhappy with is the fact there is a bit of cable hanging under the rear camera. As I have the hatch, not sure if it is the same with the estate, the way the boot opens means I need about 10cm of slack so when it fully opens it doesn't pull the camera off the window. I'm thinking of attaching a piece of black elastic to try and pull the cable back when the boot is closed.

Wiring wise:

I connected the camera into the fuse box using fuses taps on the fuse for the rear wiper and the 12v socket. The earth was just using a bolt near the fusebox. I used 3amp fuses - not sure if they are low enough but from reading up on the dashcam forum most recommended them.

Getting to the fuse box:

Got a little stuck with the glovebox until I read on here "just close your eyes and pull it". Did that and the glovebox came out easily. I haven't managed to reconnect the arm which you have to pop off first so just left it for the moment.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3
  • Like 1

This is pretty rough (was a while ago now!) but was around £140 for the unit and for the fitting dinner / £20 and fluttering on eyelashes / pleading to lovely brisky members for the install.

mmmm...

..goes off wondering if the eyelash fluttering at the next meet will work for me...