What Mods Have You Done To Your Car?

Guys ;) If you click on my username profile and then gallery, you should see 2-3 pictures of the front grille, in time, I will be doing a better job on the grille & spray the lines, red & green rather than the wrap but the wrap does the job for now

1) DTUK FSR+

2) Black magic front grille

3) OE Mercedes LED DRL's grafted into the fog light housings

4) Dedicated 10w LED cornering lights

5) DTM front splitter

6) 50w HID ballast upgrade and 5500k D2S bulbs retaining AFS functions

7) "twindicator" sequenced rear LED indicator mod

8) LED front indicators

9) Multiple VCDS tweaks

All that and it's just 2 weeks old :-p

E13EE939-8240-4E4B-8BA7-1E14B7464E9B_zps

DFFD317D-DEDE-43E7-A350-D77E4ED20CF6_zps[/url

[url=http://youtu.be/R1N6Gl6vU5Q]http://youtu.be/R1N6Gl6vU5Q

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat - I did them but still can't decide. They do look better in person as they are brighter and much more visible than the camera shows them to be.

Legal - as far as I can tell having spent some time reading the MoT manual they fill the required criteria, although just because something passes an MoT doesn't necessarily make it legal. They closely mimic the operation of the sequenced indicators fitted to Ford, BMW, Audi's etc but not exactly the same.

Once fitted they can be switched over between sequenced or flashing simultaneously to double the brightness of the indicator. These are LED replacements for the std 581 bulbs and are significantly brighter:

It just involved fitting the Amber indicator lights where the reverse lights go and reprogramming their function with VCDS

So what happens to the reverse lights then?

Having watched the video again I'm leaning towards the 'dislike' camp, it looks a little odd. What do they do when the hazard warning lights flash? Do the outer bulbs flash on each side at the same time then the inner or do both sides flash independently of each other? The Audi lights have several LEDs don't they, that flash in sequence from the inside of the cluster to the outside?

Change the bulbs - 1 blue 1 red and you've got an unmarked police vehicle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what happens to the reverse lights then?

Having watched the video again I'm leaning towards the 'dislike' camp, it looks a little odd. What do they do when the hazard warning lights flash? Do the outer bulbs flash on each side at the same time then the inner or do both sides flash independently of each other? The Audi lights have several LEDs don't they, that flash in sequence from the inside of the cluster to the outside?

Change the bulbs - 1 blue 1 red and you've got an unmarked police vehicle!

Yes, the hazzards flash inner then outer together.

Like I said, I will try it for a while and if I don't like it I can switch to simultaneous pulsing. Again they look better than the video shows.

The reverse light is now triggered by the L/H fog light channel which is set to inactive by default. I have 4 x 1w LED beads on a plate facing down and lighting the reflector up when the original reverse light would have been.

TBH - I'm not happy with the brightness, at night time it is fine but day time could be better, I'm going to look at higher power LEDS to replace them with

8A45E9D8-C3F8-4AE3-8120-7112CDC627C3_zps

The more I watch it the more I actually do like it! The hazard flashing looks smart too. It does look very much like a unmarked police vehicle, I wonder if the local plod will ever say anything, we all know they are not all that clued up with lights. The reverse lamp being activated by a different channel is all wizardry to me so excuse my ignorance when I ask if you have to code the L/H channel to be triggered to activate when reverse is selected? I take it the indicators are coded to flash the original indicator lamp and the reverse lamp (which has orange bulbs now)? Looking at them again I am certainly coming round. Videos never do lights justice.

The new improvised reverse light does look dim in the daylight, I wonder if there is anything you can do about that? First thoughts would be can you somehow integrate one of the Phillips DRL units into the rear bumper near the reflector unit and wire it to the new reversing channel? That would be super bright but not sure if you could make it aesthetically pleasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct with your assumptions, I think the channel for the L/H fog light is 26NSL, all you do is set channel 4 (which is set to inactive) to reverse light. Then attach the power cable from the LED to that pin on the light cluster.

I am toying with different ideas for the reverse light, problem is I want to keep it as OEM looking as possible.

I have been looking at moving the position and using a dedicated unit but locations are sparse.

As for the police or emergency vehicle, I don't display a white or blue flashing light so that will be ok. It's no different than a recovery vehicle with flashing ambers on, it's just making the vehicle more visible should the unspeakable ever happen :-)

And the hazards do look super cool in person :-P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Fitted the milotec rear diffuser today. No dramas and can easily do with one person and some masking tape despite the instructions. Recently installed the apr turbo muffler delete which was a little more tricky but a nice wee mod for beginners.

Is this the one mate?

3231_0.jpg?XTCsid=9845aa5f0e6de964e5315c

If so, it's next on my list! :wub:

Eibach sport springs -20mm

20mm wheel spacers rear, 10mm front

VRS seat handle inserts (Superskoda)

Rear door "VRS" scuff plates (Superskoda)

LED No plate lamps (Gen VAG)

LED reversing lamp bulbs

LED white interior bulbs

LED boot lamps (Gen VAG)

LED door mirror puddle lights

Gen Skoda carpet boot liner

Vibe duel coil 6.5" sub and enclosure (in place of the puny Canton attempt) 

Gen Skoda mudflaps

Rear under bumper diffuser (Superskoda)

Rear upper spoiler (Superskoda)

Rear part of roof and upper spoiler painted black to match sunroof surround

K&N panel filter and smoothed de-finned airbox

DTUK tuning box (approx 300bhp)

DTUK pedal box

Private No plate that reads BRISK VRs

attachicon.gifDSC_0199.JPG

attachicon.gifBrisky4.jpg

Looks good that! :thumbup:

Do you know the part number for the VAG LED boot lamp?

I like the front splitter v1, I'm tempted

I'm thinking about the Spoiler Cap in Gloss black.  I think it's an alternative to removing the rear spoiler and getting it wrapped. 

Meteor Grey 230 with a  Panoramic Sunroof so I'm going to get the rest of the roof wrapped gloss black and a Black spoiler

• Like 1

I'm thinking about the Spoiler Cap in Gloss black.  I think it's an alternative to removing the rear spoiler and getting it wrapped. 

Meteor Grey 230 with a  Panoramic Sunroof so I'm going to get the rest of the roof wrapped gloss black and a Black spoiler

I wanted my roof doing (mines an estate), in fact it even went to the place, but when they started poking around they were not confident about all the airbags in the roof when releasing the roofbars.  For your info, 3M do a Black Magic match (or whatever it's called) which is the metallic that the Black Pack (grille and mirrors) actually is.

I wanted my roof doing (mines an estate), in fact it even went to the place, but when they started poking around they were not confident about all the airbags in the roof when releasing the roofbars.  For your info, 3M do a Black Magic match (or whatever it's called) which is the metallic that the Black Pack (grille and mirrors) actually is.

Thanks for that, I'll look into the Black Magic wrap

Hoping to get my mitts on the 230 in a couple of weeks.

So had my car for 4 months. In that time I've done the following

Interior Lights swapped to LED

LED Rear Number Plate Lights

LED Reverse Lights

Swapped DRL Halogen Bulbs for LED

LED Footwell lights

Black Front Skoda badge

Removed HI-vis vest carrier and added underseat storage box. (now containing 2 hi vis vest and breathalysers. Guess who has been to France recently)

Added rear boot lip protector

Added storage nets

Added storage bag because..

Added 2 Amps, Bit one and Sub into spare wheel well, with some Rainbow Germaniums.

Added 3 storage bins

Added Front Dash Cam

Front and Rear Mud Flaps

VRS Style foot rest from Superskoda.

LED Fog light bulbs

Lots of VCDS tweaks

In the works

Rear Dash Cam

new wheel centre caps - current ones are suffering whiteworm.

Maybe rear parking camera

Maybe bonnet lifters

Edited by WayTooTall

So far (2 months):

Black cap for washer fluid

Porsche 911 cap for coolant

LEDs in interior lights

LED number plate lights

RS footrest

Phone-holder with charging

Genuine Skoda mudflaps front and rear

Genuine Skoda boot lip protector

Genuine Skoda RS sill guards for rear doors

Genuine Skoda sport decor on doors and boot

Genuine Skoda double-sided boot mat

Genuine Skoda bin

Team Heko wind deflectors

H&R 40 mm lowering springs

Japan Racing JR21, 8,5x18"

Osram LEDs for reverse and turnsignal in the rear

LED for rear foglight

396082-3756389.jpg

Some Rieger exterior styling parts and a non-resonated Milltek are things to come during the winter...

• Like 2