Elite: Dangerous

Neo_VR

I have been trying to get into buying and selling rares (show yellow on the commodities market - if you buy them and then sell them in a system over 160ly distant you can get huge profits per ton).

So I have bought 16t of rares between two systems that are fairly close together, planned a route to my destination (another group of systems that you can buy rares in) and was so busy jumping into the systems en route, finding the next system jumping to it that I completely forgot to check the fuel (and the fact that not all systems have stations to allow for refuelling) that I ended up dropping out of FSD half way between systems. Lost the cargo (fortunately fairly cheap at its home world) and my ship and ended up back at the start point of the chain :swear::punch::wall:

Still only cost me an hour and about 10k for the goods. Back to trying it tonight if i get the chance to be online

getting fed up now. all day downloading, and it wont run error comes up stating missing file! :( says I need to download it again!!!!!!! useless.

What's the error? - I was getting xInput1_3.dll is missing.   Needed to install Direct X.

• Like 1

• Administrators

What's the error? - I was getting xInput1_3.dll is missing.   Needed to install Direct X.

Not just directx, this foxed me too. It's some other directx component thats on top of a normal directx install.  What you linked to... how did I not see that.

My only grip is my ingame map is still borked, so I can't see trade / map dat. Fix is to delete my .custom.misc files each time I start. 

Had a very close shave in a shiny type6. Decided to do some trading, flew to Sol; mandatory?, ended up via a stupidly hot star... dropped me out of jump due to heat.. in the heat, sauna time! So I could not cool below 90%... which means you can't jump, you'd blow up at 200%. So I left it flying away from this ball of pain for a hour and got to 87%... turned everything off, 85% falling... dammit not enough. Turn lifesupport, engines off.. yay. engage jump, wait for charge... heat climbing, taking damage again 150+ throttle up to engage, ok lets go, thrusters back on... 197, 198, 199 sod it long blink... jumped with 201% heat I should of been dead.

So watch out for super hot stars! Although looking back on the map it should not of been that hot as it's a really old one. Maybe the nav beacon has been moved by the rebels :p

After a brief excursion in a Adder (i've sold it as well)  I'm back in the Eagle and busily updating it slowly.  The upgrades seem to have improved it's survivability under attack  Might go on a grand wander and do some exploring as it seems you can still make money this way as well.

I've had a couple of close squeaks with hot stars as well usually when I've been distracted and haven't immediately pulled up and away from the star  -  probably the heat stink device you can buy get you out of these situations.

• Administrators

Definitely a heat sink, one of those lessons... and plenty of space on an empty fit ship.

Not sure where you're floating about, but I found an ok ( very easy & boring ) credit system. This is in LHS 3505, but any boom economy can have them apparently.  LHS3505 is good, RES site <1 min from station :)

So they show up in nav list as "Seeking Luxuries" and are like a USS or nav beacon, target and drop in as per... They buy Luxury items, they only seem to buy performance enhancers though YMMV. So find a staton exporting them for less than 7500Cr. Hewish does for example...  So pick up as many as you can carry and then nip over to the nav spot for them. Fly as close to the type 9's as you can and the sale is made. Fly back to hewish or your source and repeat. I alt tabbed one time, stationary in their spot, came back and I managed to get parked on the nose of the type9, they seem to come and find you.

Between 6 and 10mins if I ineptly overflew the platform for 800-900 cr per tonne profit. I did this 4 times sold everything and got the type6... managed to have enough left over to do a 100t run netting 90k profit... rinse a few times till boredom sets in, which was about 10 more runs. I did it so I could fund a trip to find a combat zone, I'll use the type6 as my big party bus and buy a eagle when I get closer to a zone. Just can't seem to find any zones. War seems to have moved on from my news notes.

Will be/would be great if you could transport your ships/kit... like in Eve, great for hoarders that experience

I'm enjoying it for the odd hour or two here and there... if I can't find a war to influence by providing lots of scrap, think I'll bank and go exploring.

I like the sound of that plan - probably easier than the rares selling I was going to try.

Hauler with 18t@800/run=14400cr every 10 mins - I like those numbers. Upgrade to a type 6 in no time. :thumbup:

• Administrators

I was a little oooh wow thats easy... it might not be as good profit as a solid trader / rares run... but it's easy and I can just do one between other things or ust chilling out without big risk... but it's boring.

Although found out that I can with 4pips in sys pretty much not worry about precisely docking which shaves a minute off ;) So far risked up to about a 50ms/sec dock, no damage. I will do it one day without shields forgetting... then there will bea little imprint of the shift key ( up thruster ) on my desk, finger and forehead.

Yeah it seems like it would be pretty much brain off type runs with little or no risk (like running out of fuel mid jump doing rares :swear::wall:  :@  ). What it lacks in profit per unit, it will make up in speed I guess.

I've got about 500,000cr so not needing too much more for a basic type 6 (selling the upgrades from my hauler first).

I do wish there was a way of leaving one ship in a location and travelling to another in a distant location ie if i buy the type 6 and an eagle (for bounties etc), I have to travel back to the station in one ship to pick up the other. I wish you could quick travel from one to the other (like paying a fare in the space station) or pay for the ship to be transported to you (even if it did entail a delay)

Would make switching between trading and other aspects a lot easier.

I may have to give the trading a go as at the moment im not doing very well with the combat side.

Got a tricked up Viper, and managed to get about 150k en-route to Sol.. but a bit stuck what to do now.. and the cobra is just a tad out of reach

• Administrators

I think at the moment that my biggest ship is the one I keep and fly about in, from here to there over 100ly. When I arrive I'll rent a wreck, side, eagle, viper, then sell before I leave. I loose 10% on hull price, I think the upgrades come back full price. So it;s like a 10% fee to rent the thing fora bit... thats my way of thinking though. I'm not willing to job my type6 in before I go exploring as thats a 100k rental... mental.

We should try and private group or meet open and do some npc tipping.

Well I've got the jist of it but I'm finding the grind a little tedious. Currently around Eravate region a long way from Sol. Still not making any real money so I've stuck some gatling type weapons up front and I'm going to take a chance at combat. Still stick in the sidewinder going nowhere fast.

• Administrators

Eravate is a great place to start and hang out. 

It's actually a pretty good trading spot too. Cannot recall the exacts but interstation and 1 jump stuff was plausible.  But I knew trading wasn't my game, but needs to be a little part of it.

The sidey is the the most maneuverable ship, so... load them guns and head to the nav beacon... pick off anything over 500Cr bounty, or you'll be at a loss on fuel and ammo ;) You may have to be clever and wait for the feds to clear the shields. Your MC just won't do it effectively. You'll have to fly the pants of it, to keep in the blind spots of those more powerful ships. The other option is one of these resource extraction sites, very busy nav points with pirates. Depending on luck, you either get lots of sidewinders, cobras or anaconda's. You'll be after sidewinders mostly still. If not lots of them after a few mins jump out and back in.  Watch out for the rocks and police, clip one with a stray round and you'll get a fine and be hunted quickly! I took to flying clingfilm style from the foes hull or positioning so everyone else was behind me.

If you do get a fine, don't head to the nearest station, or if you do, head for a small platform is best bet, no feds. If station, then ideally not one of the same faction, e.g. fed fine, go to independent or empire, or you'll not make it in alive.  If you can do a few missions, all the feds and friendly's turn green. So much easier to figure who and what is around you. I think they patched the bug where attacking wanted of the same faction brought you heat from the feds... wanted is now wanted.

You may get further and longer if you go with a pair of burst lasers, you can keep out there for longer, iirc burst are the most overall effective. Beams more, but need more energy. Don't forget you can just log off in space too, saves 0mins a day I reckon :)

Either way enjoy it! 

A lot depends on where/what you trade.

I use Slopeys BPC which is very useful for comparing prices in areas - set the current location, your credits(less allowance for insurance),your cargo capacity and your max jump distance and hit search. Will give you a list of profitable trades within reach (sortable by a number of variables). Depending on the system you can get about 15-20K per load in a hauler so approx 100K per hour

I have taken on a mission to deliver scrap, got to the refinery, and they wont give me permission to dock! any ideas?

Are you near enough. Failing that turn around fly away then come back and try. Sometimes it's weird like that.

• Like 1

• Administrators

If you're playing online open play and trying to dock at a platform, you can wait for ages. I mean 10+mins I've sat. If it's obvious, other ships hanging out, then I tend to quit, then go solo to dock, cash in, then quit and go back to open. Bit of a start stop fest, but better than floating like flotsom.

• Like 1

You need to be within 7.5km from the station when you request docking otherwise it will be refused.

Thanks

Just added a few of you as friends - my in game name is Cmdr Woodie

I'm sharkrider, so should work..... I'll add you if not :) when requesting comms to I need my mike in ?!

If you're playing online open play and trying to dock at a platform, you can wait for ages. I mean 10+mins I've sat. If it's obvious, other ships hanging out, then I tend to quit, then go solo to dock, cash in, then quit and go back to open. Bit of a start stop fest, but better than floating like flotsom.

ahhh this makes perfect sense! it was quite busy , ships in and out, first time I'd tried to dock at a "platform type place" they were fighting each other  and all sorts, I even joined in with a "wanted" person because I was bored! lol... back on it today before work tonight!