Elite: Dangerous

Neo_VR

Well so far I have failed to hit anything with my frikin' lasers, but hit something big and solid in the training solo stage., Then I couldn't figure out how to leave the space dock (check list muppet!!) then I managed to hit the space station. Then I managed to accidently find a turbo button (J= light speed??) and crashed into a planet. then I managed to hit light speed and crash into a space station. Basically Brian Cox is lying. He says Space is just that. Lots of nothing with a teeny bit of something solid (leaving dark matter aside), at least in it's lumpy form. If that is true. I have an uncanny knack for finding the teeny weeny bit of lumpy stuff and avoiding all the nice empty nice stuff. My no claims bonus has gone and my premium will be horrendous next year

It's going well so far

Need to read some instructions, How on earth do you dock with anything (ie open a loading bay door?) ramming it doesn't work. Oh for the halcyon days of a dodgy docking computer and a BBC Micro

• Like 2

Well so far I have failed to hit anything with my frikin' lasers, but hit something big and solid in the training solo stage., Then I couldn't figure out how to leave the space dock (check list muppet!!) then I managed to hit the space station. Then I managed to accidently find a turbo button (J= light speed??) and crashed into a planet. then I managed to hit light speed and crash into a space station. Basically Brian Cox is lying. He says Space is just that. Lots of nothing with a teeny bit of something solid (leaving dark matter aside), at least in it's lumpy form. If that is true. I have an uncanny knack for finding the teeny weeny bit of lumpy stuff and avoiding all the nice empty nice stuff. My no claims bonus has gone and my premium will be horrendous next year

It's going well so far

Need to read some instructions, How on earth do you dock with anything (ie open a loading bay door?) ramming it doesn't work. Oh for the halcyon days of a dodgy docking computer and a BBC Micro

Have you tried the training missions?  They do help a bit -  the learning curve is a bit steep at first - I still don't know what all the buttons do - and don't forget to change the default key bindings if you don't like them.  

I should not try to fight ( Run!!!  if indicted - submit by slowing to zero speed then boost away from the attacker until your FSD has cooled down and then jump.) until you have upgraded a bit and play a little in "solo" until you are confident.  I think the best way to earn a little bit of cash first is to do a bit of exploring.  You will need to assign your Basic discovery scanner to a fire key (right panel - Fire Group) and when you enter a new unknown system press the fire button (for 10 secs) and you should "discover"  all the planetary object within 500ly.  You can fly to each object if you want and target them and do a scan.  You can then sell this data at stations that are 20ly away. (Universal Cartography).

If you need a cash injection I'm sure we can all help.  I'm CMDR IRON ORCHID if you want to add me as a friend.  

Have you tried the training missions?  They do help a bit -  the learning curve is a bit steep at first - I still don't know what all the buttons do - and don't forget to change the default key bindings if you don't like them.  

I should not try to fight ( Run!!!  if indicted - submit by slowing to zero speed then boost away from the attacker until your FSD has cooled down and then jump.) until you have upgraded a bit and play a little in "solo" until you are confident.  I think the best way to earn a little bit of cash first is to do a bit of exploring.  You will need to assign your Basic discovery scanner to a fire key (right panel - Fire Group) and when you enter a new unknown system press the fire button (for 10 secs) and you should "discover"  all the planetary object within 500ly.  You can fly to each object if you want and target them and do a scan.  You can then sell this data at stations that are 20ly away. (Universal Cartography).

If you need a cash injection I'm sure we can all help.  I'm CMDR IRON ORCHID if you want to add me as a friend.  

yeah, add us, I'm sharkrider (of course)

Thanks guys. I tried a little bit of the training and thought "sod it"  it will all come back to me enough from the early 80s to give it a go. With hindsight, that wasn't a sensible move :D btw I'm using  a keyboard (traditionalist) and I'm still going solo for a bit and just flying about......and crashing into things.

• Like 1

If you can pick up a cheap Xbox controller that helped me as I used it in conjunction with the keyboard and makes flying a lot easier

I'm using an ancient Saitek P750 controller (bought late 90's to play the X series of games) but I heartily recommend some sort of controller as it is better than keyboard / mouse. (Voice attack is  good as well  (voice control software ) - but you need a headset for that as well.) I've already blown my meagre games budget for the year by getting the game (£35 yikes I like to pay less than <£5), Voice attack ($9) and headset (£15)

• Like 1

I gave up on the keyboard and mouse for a joystick (Black Widow) - so much more user friendly. Actually feels like flying instead of working (I spend all day at a keyboard and mouse!). I found docking to be hellish with key/mouse but a breeze with a stick

Give it a bit of time to get used to flying about and the main keyboard/button actions and it will all come back.

well I can now take off and dock without scratching the surface of my craft. Although I did attack a space station to see what would happen :( I lost.

It's a bit of pain trying to find the right dock on some of these stations though,

The large stations are not too bad - if you look at the left side of the radar there is an indicator which shows your location relative to the target (whatever that happens to be at the time). It shows solid while in front and hollow if the target is behind.

Using that it isn't too bad to find the direction of the dock.

Attacking a space station is definitely not a good idea!

The large stations are not too bad - if you look at the left side of the radar there is an indicator which shows your location relative to the target (whatever that happens to be at the time). It shows solid while in front and hollow if the target is behind.

Using that it isn't too bad to find the direction of the dock.

Attacking a space station is definitely not a good idea!

Thanks

I thought the attack was worth a punt :D A bit like a puppy attacking an aircraft carrier. They'll be clearing up my exploded debris for weeks though, so I get the last laugh..........er................I think

• Like 1

well, after two maddening days trying to get the game installed on my new (cheap £300 least I could spend to run decent games) laptop , it works!!!! oddly graphics run at "high" where my apparently btter speced desktop run on medium! hhhmmmmm

laptop specs are AMD A10 (half speed of desktop) quad core ,8 gig RAM , 2 GIG dedicated graphics, (4 gig dedicated on desktop) , looks better !!! lol...

anyway , just glad to have navigated around all the oddities of this development game..... all good for holiday with gilly and alan now :)

• Like 1

well, after two maddening days trying to get the game installed on my new (cheap £300 least I could spend to run decent games) laptop , it works!!!! oddly graphics run at "high" where my apparently btter speced desktop run on medium! hhhmmmmm

laptop specs are AMD A10 (half speed of desktop) quad core ,8 gig RAM , 2 GIG dedicated graphics, (4 gig dedicated on desktop) , looks better !!! lol...

anyway , just glad to have navigated around all the oddities of this development game..... all good for holiday with gilly and alan now :)

I attacked another space station today. Maybe it won't get me to being 'Elite', but perhaps it will get me to 'Persistently Futile' :)

That's good to know as I'm looking at getting a laptop since my last one bit the dust. What model/ brand is it?

you really dont want to go attacking space stations ;)

I'm hoping to wear them down and once word gets around they will be scared of me and let me loiter in the airlocks :)

V

A couple of pictures of my gorgeous Python. It is an absolute beast of a ship.

Very nice  :) - just keep that power plant well hidden ;)

not really applying myself to this properly, but I have managed to buy some stuff and travel somewhere with it (it was so much easier on the BBC Micro), but having got a bit cross with a station and decided to attack it from within, I think I might have to concede, I am not yet powerful enough to destroy it. Anyhoo, my question is, when I practiced docking I had no trouble, but with real stations I don't get the auto lock once I'm down. I did notice that I was 180 degrees out on one occasion, but how can you tell if you are facing the right way. It looks correct on the final docking thing that pops up?

Also can you land on planets? Oh and can I blow them up?

not really applying myself to this properly, but I have managed to buy some stuff and travel somewhere with it (it was so much easier on the BBC Micro), but having got a bit cross with a station and decided to attack it from within, I think I might have to concede, I am not yet powerful enough to destroy it. Anyhoo, my question is, when I practiced docking I had no trouble, but with real stations I don't get the auto lock once I'm down. I did notice that I was 180 degrees out on one occasion, but how can you tell if you are facing the right way. It looks correct on the final docking thing that pops up?

Also can you land on planets? Oh and can I blow them up?

The bay number should be in front of you when you dock.

You'll never be powerful enough to kill a station and you can't blow up planets or land on them yet (but it is promised for the future).

The bay number should be in front of you when you dock.

You'll never be powerful enough to kill a station and you can't blow up planets or land on them yet (but it is promised for the future).

I can find the right dock, and from the pop up land pretty central, but I often overshoot when dropping out of the warp thingie so approach from around the other side. I wondered if this meant I was 180 degrees out when I attempted to dock. ie I had reversed in so to speak. I tried rotating the other way around and I got a lock.

I feel the need to blow up something really big though. Perhaps I have a problem?

That's good to know as I'm looking at getting a laptop since my last one bit the dust. What model/ brand is it?

Lenovo Z50-75 AMD A10 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive, 15.6 inch Laptop with 2Gb Dedicated Graphics and Optional Microsoft Office Personal 365

• Windows 8.1
  • AMD A10 processor
  • 2Gb ATI R6 M225DX DDR3 Graphics
  • 8Gb RAM
  • 1Tb hard drive
  • 8Gb Hybrid SSD
  • DVD-RW drive
  • Bluetooth™ 4.0
  • Wi-Fi
  • 1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI; 2-in-1 card reader
  • 720p webcam
  • Dimensions: 25 x 384 x 265 mm
  • Weight: 2.4 kg
  • Lenovo Z50-75 laptop

looks a bit plain, but good spec!

and Gilly, you know you were talking about SSD's? this has a "Hybrid" drive, with 30 gig SSD for mega fast booting, and the terabyte HD :)

got it out my catalogue, was £400 but I got my "rewards" taken off the price :)

Ah ha. Found you do have to be aligned facing in the right direction. I like to do a Top Gun fly-by and then travel inverted, at speed, until a daring and slightly 'saucy' little twist before landing like a seagull on a trawler........ Well I go screaming past hitting the brakes, try to turn back before I leave the solar system and then do a semi crash/lopsided landing. This leaves me facing 'South' instead of 'North' sort of.

Had fight with some peeps in space ships (3 of them). I was blowdeded up, but not before I rammed one of them :(