Elite: Dangerous

Neo_VR

I had a very small go at the CQC beta (1 game) and it's exactly what I thought it be like. Basically it has Deathmatch modes and Capture the flag modes, you join a game (automatically selecting your opponents) and go out and blast away. You collect xp and this unlocks upgrade to your feeble ship (only the very small ships allowed). In game you can fly though hoops that give temp bonuses (shield, stealth etc). The scenarios are all based around different areas ( ice fields, stations etc) .

The actual game bit isn't original and is the same format as the first multiplayer game I played (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) but I can see it will be fun if you what to have a 10 minute blast blowing things up.

Well ive decided to change my tact a little and given my allegiance to Mahon, do some proper trading.

Ive bought a kitted out T7 with a 200-odd cargo capacity, and now im trying to find some decent trade routes that also let me earn merits.

• 3 weeks later...

That feeling of satisfaction, when you take on an anaconda by yourself in a vulture, and he shoots out your sheilds, AND your canopy, and you are at 63% hull, but you carry on regardless and destroy the ******.... get the bounty, AND make it back to a spacestation before the O2 runs out!

• Like 2

Anyone tried the CQC yet?

It's quite good if you fancy a bit of dogfighting and you are a few thousand ly away.

No, and I don't appreciate the 'Helpless' rank either. I'm DANGEROUS I tell thee!

Good idea to do it when exploring to break up the endless monotony.

No, and I don't appreciate the 'Helpless' rank either. I'm DANGEROUS I tell thee!

Good idea to do it when exploring to break up the endless monotony.

I did feel "helpless" rather than "expert" when I gave it a go ;)

Still chugging away at it here..

bulk (legitimate) trading isnt as lucrative as i hoped.. or im not doing it right. 

I did chop in the T7 for an Imperial clipper the other night as one of the CG's meant it was sold at a large discount.

I need to up my game to get enough money together for a python!.

I've started Exploring again -  in the area I'm in every single system is "Unexplored"  (3.5kly out)  -  using EDDiscovery to log my journeys as well.    See how far I can go before I get bored again.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive managed to grind my way up to a Trade spec python now... 282 cargo and a handful of shield boosters.. Ive managed to find myself a "fairly stable" three jump trade loop thats netting me circa 4k a ton.

Looking forward to the 1.5 beta due to drop any day now to play with some of the new ships.. bet the cobra mk4 will melt itself with 5 hardpoints!

Ive managed to grind my way up to a Trade spec python now... 282 cargo and a handful of shield boosters.. Ive managed to find myself a "fairly stable" three jump trade loop thats netting me circa 4k a ton.

Looking forward to the 1.5 beta due to drop any day now to play with some of the new ships.. bet the cobra mk4 will melt itself with 5 hardpoints!

Still exploring - but there is going to be a sort of community explorer's trip to Beagle Point (65kly away) and I might accompany them on it. It's going to be surveying trip and to see how well the SRVs work as well (in the Horizon's update).  Probably take my Asp but might depend on how good the Jump range on the new ships.

It looks like players will be able to "craft"  superfuel  (and other stuff ammo etc)  that will allow for longer than normal jumps - but there isn't any info on how this works  but hopefully it may help to get to those harder to reach areas.

The Python can carry 284 tons with a size 3 shield?

I never bothered with shield boosters. If you get interdicted, simply stop and jump away. If you get interdicted by a big ship, you will be mass locked if you try to supercruise but not if you hyperspace jump. Worth knowing if you're in a T7 or T9.

I'm currently trading between two systems 14.5 light years apart. The yield is 4059 per ton round trip which is netting just over 10 million per hour.

Made my highest single transaction profit yesterday.

Screenshot_0032_zpsfnushwrl.png

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick spin (literally - I couldn't get the controller bindings quite right!)  around on Mitterand's Hollow  (Epsilon Indi) in my SRV  after landing the Asp.  I have some pictures I will post later on.

I die a lot.

Not making much money.

Still in a Sidewinder with pop-guns.

I take it there is a degree of grinding I have to get through.

Been slowly flying towards Sol out of curiosity though I'm aware I can't get there yet.

• Like 1

I die a lot.

Not making much money.

Still in a Sidewinder with pop-guns.

I take it there is a degree of grinding I have to get through.

Been slowly flying towards Sol out of curiosity though I'm aware I can't get there yet.

Get out the of starter systems -

Set up your system scanner to a fire button and scan every time you enter a system -it only detects the nearest object automatically - you have to activate it - the basic scanner doesn't do the whole system but has a limited range (can get a few thousand  cr for a few hops though. You can sell the data at Universal Cartography at stations (exploring is easy money initially but doesn't pay as well as trading / combat when you have better equipment)

Don't engage in fights (yet) - run away-  if you get indicted either try to escape or drop speed to zero and submit and then make a run for it (boost  Boost boost!) and jump.

Always make sure you have enough cash to cover the insurance!

Ask you friends for a sub ;)

You can join a faction and do that for a bit - I've not done this yet but others can comment on how profitable it is.

Get a fuel scoop.

Trade in "rare" commodities for a bit. 

Go to Sag A or Beagle point. (Distant Worlds - expedition leaving in Jan 2016)

I'm not into "grinding" away at one thing  so it takes me ages to get anything done. 

Edited by io1901

I did get a fuel scoop to save worrying about running out.

PITA at the moment is that most systems don't have anything on the bulleting boards I can take.