Rust spots on lower door

triple7

I don't mean to worry you any more than you already are, but I don't live near the coast either!

Like I say its nowhere as bad as yours, but I have found 25 blisters some have already burst and rusted. Might phone Skoda on Friday, they will have had the photos 2 weeks by then.

Mine were passed off as stone chips. Both front doors are covered below the rub strip and there's quite a few bubbles coming up above it now. I think I'll just get a freind with a body shop to take them back to bare metal and repaint the whole door.

Mine were passed off as stone chips. Both front doors are covered below the rub strip and there's quite a few bubbles coming up above it now. I think I'll just get a freind with a body shop to take them back to bare metal and repaint the whole door.

Did your Yeti ever get the rear arches resprayed and the protective foils added? It's my understanding that there was some kind of technical bulletin for that.

As for the paint chips on the door, it seems the early Yeti's had poor paint quality / door galvanisation as this, quite frankly, should not be happening. I've no problem with paint chips, but when the paint starts bubbling and peeling off as a result, then there is clearly something not right with that.

I am guessing you previously owned an MX5 from your username? So did I, and in 6 years of motoring on similar roads and similar mileage any paint chips I did accrue never developed into the paint peeling off revealing rusting metal below.

I can't help thinking us loyal early adopters of the Yeti are actually part of Skodas R&D process (ref: turbo shim, paint problems, HT leads, timing chain etc etc), and frankly, that is completely unacceptable.

Given the success of the Yeti it is time for Skoda to recompense us and sort these problems out. Just flinging new paint over the top is not going to be a long term solution. 

I take it you won't be buying a Skoda again?

I can't recall seeing a single report of this problem on a facelift Yeti, so by that point they probably had it sorted.  Early days, yet, though, as most facelifts won't be much more than 2 years old.

I'm afraid facelift's are similarly affected. I had this issue on my (pre-facelift) white 2012 Urban TDi, which eventually underwent a partial respray. More here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/270263-paint-blisters-on-doors/?p=3356603 and here (including original photos): http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/270263-paint-blisters-on-doors/?p=3846112

My current (facelift) 2014 white TDi is now showing signs of "zinc inclusions" - I've discovered x4 so far (tailgate, lower front door, bonnet and wheel arch).

Currently in discussion with local main dealer.

Edited by pinkpanther

There's no excuse for paint or bodywork preparation in this day and age. It's not like it's unproven cutting edge technology is it?

Similar paintwork problems referred to in various VW and Audi forums too.  Not just a Skoda issue.  Quite possibly not even a VW Group issue either - I wonder how many other manufacturers have much the same problem.  Recycled steel, perhaps?

It is very much a Volkswagen Group Issue.

Dacia introduced bargain basement models, had production issues and corrosion and dealt with the source of the problem ASAP.

The Volkswagen Group spend more on bluff, bluster, advertising and lawyers and fail to meet the need for Quality Control,

admit failings and resolve matters.

They have has a couple of decades to get to drip with Water Based paints, and fail.

They have had many decades to get to grip with Door & Hatch Rubber seals, they still fail.

They are not listeners or those that take action to sort out failings.

• Like 2

Paint problems are being reported across the market, not just Skoda. 

I heard of them from Peugeot to BMW.

Paint is now water based so is softer and in metallic needs a more resilient lacquer. It is much easier to chip than the old oil based paints.

There also seems to be problems with the zinc coating added as a first coat reacting either with the paint or with the steel. Whether this is due to poorer quality steel is undecided.

• Like 1

Of course there are problems, and many are dealt with, across the market.

Major VW issues though, and 3 monkeys from the VWG, 

non as blind as those that will not see.  Or can not tell when a job was done wrongly and badly. 

VW can make their own excuses, but they do not even do that, they just rubber customers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Yeti is currently in a Skoda dealership getting some of the corrosion repaired. The remainder of the corrosion is in discussion with another dealership.

I'm not going to say anymore on the topic at present as it looks like the whole this is going down the legal route (for the second time).

Owning a car should not be this stressful. 

Paint problems are being reported across the market, not just Skoda. 

I heard of them from Peugeot to BMW.

Paint is now water based so is softer and in metallic needs a more resilient lacquer. It is much easier to chip than the old oil based paints.

There also seems to be problems with the zinc coating added as a first coat reacting either with the paint or with the steel. Whether this is due to poorer quality steel is undecided.

My wife's BMW Mini has numerous stone chips down to the galvanising and not a sign of rust. Likewise with my son's Fiat and one I has previously, how ironic!

So even with water based paints adequate protection from rusting can be provided as long as the steel treatment has been carried out properly.

• Like 1

well im still waiting for AC skoda Inverness to get back to me, Skoda UK seemed genuinely apologetic when I phoned to see what stage my claim was at.  I have to whisper that nearly all of my bubbles seem to have some sort of white mark in the centre of them, a bit like light impact scuffs but the paint hasn't broken or chipped like a proper stone chip would.

close up bubble next to protective film.

passangers side paint defects/ zinc inclusion

Drivers side paint defects/ zinc inclusion

• 4 weeks later...

Warranty/rework #24: Corrosion on tailgate and offside rear wing repaired and resprayed (making that the second time the tailgate has been repaired / resprayed)

All four doors are still rusting though and no word from the dealer 2 months on. Corrosion particularly bad around all four door handles, rear wheel arches and lower lips. Would have had better luck if I'd bought a vintage Alfa. 

My 2012 Yeti had rust spots on the doors and dealer repainted 3 doors twice FOC and without any argument.

The car was 2 and 3 years old at the time of painting.

Edited by AlfredJ

• 3 weeks later...

You were unlucky in as far as only low numbers had this issue.  

Hardly fair to blame a Manufacturer for terrible Customer Services and after sales treatment from a bad Dealership or Dealership Employees.

It does seem the Dealers you are dealing with was and is the problem, that is not SKODA, just an agent for them and you.

When they are hopeless or disinterested deal with the Importer & Warranty Provider which is SKODA UK, 

and if necessary have them arrange Independent Experts or you arrange that at their expense if there are Fundamental, Design, 

Manufacturing, Materials, Workmanship or Quality Control failings.

You were unlucky in as far as only low numbers had this issue.  

Hardly fair to blame a Manufacturer for terrible Customer Services and after sales treatment from a bad Dealership or Dealership Employees.

It does seem the Dealers you are dealing with was and is the problem, that is not SKODA, just an agent for them and you.

When they are hopeless or disinterested deal with the Importer & Warranty Provider which is SKODA UK, 

and if necessary have them arrange Independent Experts or you arrange that at their expense if there are Fundamental, Design, 

Manufacturing, Materials, Workmanship or Quality Control failings.

Agreed, though in fairness, when you buy a car you are buying more than just the physical item, you are buying the brand which includes the support, service and warranty. Skoda are being let down by certain dealers, but you could argue that they should either never have appointed those dealers in the first instance or they should have sorted them out by now, even if that means removing their dealership status.

I don't thing anyone would argue that I have been very very patient in my ownership of this diabolical car. Skoda UK are already involved to the highest level, but things are still dragging on and on and on.....

I don't think it is thus unfair that I tell people, based on my experiences, not to buy a Skoda.

• Like 1

Two suggestions to progress this issue, lodge a case with Motor Codes or let lose on Skoda's social media. Certainly BMW owners on the BMW forum who have run up against the buffers with dealers and the BMW UK customer service line have had things resolved very quickly once placed in the manufacturers 'official' social media arena.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two suggestions to progress this issue, lodge a case with Motor Codes or let lose on Skoda's social media. Certainly BMW owners on the BMW forum who have run up against the buffers with dealers and the BMW UK customer service line have had things resolved very quickly once placed in the manufacturers 'official' social media arena.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good suggestions. 

Fortunately I have contacts in the media and the press, and, of course, there is always recourse to the Law.

Edited by Abominable

• 1 month later...

Abominable (and others).

All that rust is from the inside outwards so no amount of rubbing down and hole filling will cure it.  The rust will continue from the inside and continue to re-appear.  My 1935 Austin 7 was rather badly rusted in many places and I have replaced with much welding of patches...but then it has done many miles and is somewhat older than my Yeti!  A dodge in the days pre galvanised bodies (50s, 60s, etc. was to squirt old engine oil into all the hidden places like door inners, wing joints etc. and the oil....or more recently waxoil or the better version of it would seep into joints and also coat internal surfaces and keep the rust at bay for longer.  By the way the 7 had a double skin section that extends from the front of the door, below the bonnet to the radiator cowling and the inner surfaces that lie together were never painted from new!!! so no wonder the rust came through (from the inside) in several places (but only by the 70s/80s.  Now I have cured/replaced such bits it is ready to continue in use for another 70+ years before it MAY need seeing to again.  Ok I know it is an appreciating asset,but it does get used hard.

Nowadays the rust bubbling (from the inside outwards) should not be happening.  The vehicle is faulty from manufacture if it rusts like that.

The only cure for your case is for Skoda to give you another similar age/milage car in exchange and sell on your wreck cheaply to someone who knows its problems and does not care about looks and is going to give it a very hard time and high milage in a short time.  A farm vehicle perhaps for carting around.........

Sorry to perhaps upset you but your rust is not curable!

Dennis

Thank Dennis.

What you say is exactly what I have believed all along.

I have become caught in an interaction (or lack of action!) between the dealer who did the lower door respray a few years ago and Skoda UK. One arguing that the corrosion is due to manufacturing, the other that it was workmanship.

Muggins has been caught in the middle fielding 2 to 3 phone calls a week and being sent on various trips to dealers and bodyshops without the process ever moving on. 

Additionally, every Skoda dealer other than the one who did the respray work, has tended to run a mile. I suspect my car reg sets off an alert in the workshop and everyone runs for cover!

Finally I got my own technical report done by a Motor Engineer which confirmed a manufacturing defect and that the only resolution would be replacement of all four doors. He also asserted that due to the number of faults on my vehicle (now 30) that the car was not of merchantable quality.

Anyway, we seem to have finally come to a resolution through Skoda UK which I hope will conclude next week.....

• Like 3

So here is the solution, a new Yeti 1.2TSi S, almost identical to the last one in spec and colour but hopefully not in character or bodywork.

Skoda UK and West End Garage in Edinburgh came together to make me an offer on a new car I couldn't refuse. So I didn't refuse it!

I will not miss the old Yeti one bit. Even in the past 4 or 5 months you could see the rust creeping and the process to get it resolved was just turning to farce with nobody really wanting to take responsibility.

I can only say positive words about how West End handled the exchange. When you consider they probably won't make a penny out of the deal and that they have repeatedly had to rectify the poor workmanship from another Scottish Skoda dealer on the last Yeti, you just have to applaud them.

Please wish me luck with the reliability of my new Yeti and that the rust stays away; I don't want it ending up heading for the skip like the last one!

2v36mhu.jpg

• Like 3