Rust spots on lower door

triple7

Tony..very helpful. However the insides do look neater.

I'm going to leave it a week but I might try using a hair dryer to warm the foil to see if the bubbles can be shifted

(the hair dryer is Mrs 33Q's old one....I save everything!)

• Like 1

(the hair dryer is Mrs 33Q's old one....I save everything!)

A man after my own heart!

From experience, the bubbles will still be there unless you use something like using a pin to ***** the bubble and then expel the air (Warm the foil with hot(ish) water and use a credit card as a squeegee)..............Tony

My bubbles have disappeared!

Here's the inner edge of the foil:

post-59543-0-09047800-1433590842_thumb.jpg

But I have other issues:

post-59543-0-21927300-1433590861_thumb.jpgpost-59543-0-05734200-1433590874_thumb.jpg

Black patches along the bottom edge and a line left from the first replacement foil they didn't fit properly on one side.

The black bits look like missing paint. But how & why I don't know as they were not there when I inspected the vehicle upon collection.

I'm wondering whether they tesprayed the whole door as promised...

• 1 month later...

I noticed a blister on the r/n/s door if my yeti. I took her to Silbury Skoda who took photos, the following day they phoned me to say it was authorised. It was done last week and looks fine, however I had another look at the doors today (this time with glasses on), and have found blisters on the other 3 doors! I'll contact Silbury again tomorrow.

My only gripe is that I have to pay for insurance on the courtesy car so it costs me money to have a defect repaired under warranty.

If the Dealership insists on the Extra Insurance charge, then you contact Skoda UK Customer Services and tell them 

you are Invoicing them for your extra Expense or they can tell the People doing the Warranty 

work or the Dealer to add this to the Warranty Claim.

No need for you to be out of pocket because of Manufacturing Faults at the Skoda Factory.

• Like 2

My bubbles have disappeared!

Here's the inner edge of the foil:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

But I have other issues:

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Black patches along the bottom edge and a line left from the first replacement foil they didn't fit properly on one side.

The black bits look like missing paint. But how & why I don't know as they were not there when I inspected the vehicle upon collection.

I'm wondering whether they tesprayed the whole door as promised...

We had the same on our last Yeti following warranty paintwork.  The bodyshop told us it was something to do with a problem with water based paint.  Needless to say they repainted the affected area with no argument. 

Interesting that your bubbles disappeared.  We also had some bubbles under the foil and were told they should disappear within two weeks - they did.

Did another check on my yeti yesterday on my hands and knees (with my glasses on this time!), and have found corrrosion blisters on the other three doors.

It will be going back to Silbury tomorrow for some more photos.

Mine was September 2012 and there were rust blisters towards the front bottom edge of both rear doors. Didn't seem to affect my trade in unduly so obviously easy enough to fix

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Update on my "zinc inclusions" claim. SUK and my customer care manager finally got it all sorted after I had sent in my own photos.  All four doors were repainted very well by Blade Gloucester, just one return trip for drivers electric window playing up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I too had the paint blistering on the rear doors, and strangley on the leading edge of the front doors by the mirrors.

Skoda has agreed to a bare metal respray by a local VW approved independant body shop for all 4 doors. This body shop did paint depth checks and the lower parts of the doors have less paint than the tops, so could this be a painting issue?

So just awaiting the monster to return.

Cannot fault Skoda in this matter, they didnt argue at all.

Edited by Big Rich

• 5 months later...

Corrosion on the bottom of my doors too. Also paint bubbling / corrosion around the door handles, rear boot (around the reg plate) and the wheel arches. :-(

Anyone who follows this forum much will probably have heard of my ongoing issues with my Yeti (  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385693-100000-miles-of-poor-reliability-in-a-skoda-yeti-12tsi/ ) but having driven it 106,000 miles from new I have now decided to keep hold of it. It's become a bit like a teenage child.... you are driven nuts by the misbehaviour but in the end you might as well put up with it. Better the devil you know, and all that.

Corrosion on doors:

29y03gm.jpg

14vcjl.jpg

Corrosion on wheel arches:

65wpqp.jpg

5wwgv8.jpg

Paint bubbling above reg plate on boot:

1z68a5v.jpg

Paint bubbling around door handles:

ot2clt.jpg

1zwjk7k.jpg

Paint bubbling on door:

symnmt.jpg

Corrosion / paint bubbling underneath rear wash/wiper:

30k4nb4.jpg

Taking the car in for inspection on Monday to see if anything can be done about it. Hopefully SUK will come to the party so that I can keep this car running to 200,000 miles and beyond :-)

Edited by Abominable

Thanks for this topic,I'll be keeping a very strong eye on my elderly parents new Yeti.

Re post #89.

Skoda UK should arrange a transporter to up lift that Yeti and give you a similar age car with the same spec and similar mileage and no corrosion as a replacement.

That Yeti should be transported to the Skoda Factory in CZ and parked in the foyer as an example to all when Skoda where producing sh!te products and how they have turned the corner and no longer will.

They should be embarrassed at that Yeti and any other cars they produced like it.

There is no acceptable way of sorting that out with stripping paint, rust treatment and refinishing, 

it is the Volkswagen Group's version of Lancia from decades ago.

It is in Motor Trade terms, a Bucket of ****!

or maybe even a '**** bucket.'

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Funny, but mine is the same age and similar mileage and is nothing like that, and I am not known for caring that much about the state my car is in.

And to be honest, any car at that age and mileage could and probably would be exactly the same. Looking at those pictures a couple of minutes preventative maintenance every now and again would have stopped it.

I think you are looking for any excuse to "knock" the car.

• Like 1

'Same age and similar milage',  but is it the same colour?

If you had one as rusty as that would you be a happy clappy Skoda Fanboy chappy?

It is a bad yin, a soon to be scrapper unless it gets something done, you see the visible corrosion the rest needs an inspection properly carried out, 

Skoda / VW HQ @ Milton Keynes should be the ones to have that arranged,

there has been too many bad cars produced and owners ready to accept the remedial work.

If you are happy to have a pretty young car with a pathetic anti-corrosion and paint treatment then that is all about personal choices.

As to any car of similar age being probably the same.

Well yes it might well be, if a VW or Skoda.

http://rustingvolkswagen.co.uk

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Re #89 - terrible - but I simply don't understand how the car could have been left to get this bad before raising it as a issue in need of attention? Particularly as the car seems to have spent so much time in the dealers. Considering its age and value, rectifying this properly will almost cost more than the car is worth as its almost a total respray job (although I suspect SUK will try to put much of this down to untreated stone chips).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

Funny, but mine is the same age and similar mileage and is nothing like that, and I am not known for caring that much about the state my car is in.

And to be honest, any car at that age and mileage could and probably would be exactly the same. Looking at those pictures a couple of minutes preventative maintenance every now and again would have stopped it.

I think you are looking for any excuse to "knock" the car.

Got to agree with Graham on this. The last sentence just about sums the situation up.

Tony

Re #89 - terrible - but I simply don't understand how the car could have been left to get this bad before raising it as a issue in need of attention? Particularly as the car seems to have spent so much time in the dealers. Considering its age and value, rectifying this properly will almost cost more than the car is worth as its almost a total respray job (although I suspect SUK will try to put much of this down to untreated stone chips).

The boot has previously been resprayed due to paint bubbling issues, so this is a returning issue.

The wheel arches were also resprayed (and foils added), so again this is a returning issue.

The bubbling around the handles, rear wash/wipe, lower doors and upper wheel arches are a new development. A flake of paint recently fell off the lower door revealing the extent of the problem there.

The bubbling on the offside doors is also newly noticed. Let's just say they were due to stone chips, should the paint really be bubbling like that? There seems to be no corrosion protection at all.

Can understand the rusting at the bottom of the doors but why by the door handles?

And as for stone chips, I've had cars with them on which have been left for quite awhile before being touched in and they haven't rusted. The galvanising is doing its job. Unless that is breached rusting won't occur.

The paint isn't offering much in the way of protection, it's just to make it look nice. Many things, fencing for example, is just galvanised.

Edit: bit of an overlap with posting but most still applies.

Edited by VAGCF

The boot has previously been resprayed due to paint bubbling issues, so this is a returning issue.

The wheel arches were also resprayed (and foils added), so again this is a returning issue.

The bubbling around the handles, rear wash/wipe, lower doors and upper wheel arches are a new development. A flake of paint recently fell off the lower door revealing the extent of the problem there.

The bubbling on the offside doors is also newly noticed. Let's just say they were due to stone chips, should the paint really be bubbling like that? There seems to be no corrosion protection at all.

Crikey - didn't realise that! I'm just putting this out there as a thought - when I was in the RAF a lot of the forces personnel in Cyprus used to buy tax free RHD cars and bring them back to the UK. Ok - this was before galvanising of panels was commonplace, but these cars always rusted within months of hitting the UK climate because they received far less attention rust prevention wise during manufacture. I wonder if your car inadvertently didn't receive the UK spec rust treatment during manufacturer, instead getting the lesser warm dry climate treatment. Mind - how you would prove that!