Rust spots on lower door

triple7

There is no doubt that the move to water based paint is a retrograde step in terms of stone chip resilience - the front of our 26k mile 1 Series looks appalling! A real retrograde step where the 'tree huggers' have prevailed, but ultimately a cosmetic issue than can be resolved with a panel respray.

However, the rust issue is different and needs addressing - we simply aren't used to cars rusting theses days.

My bubbles have disappeared!

Here's the inner edge of the foil:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

But I have other issues:

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Black patches along the bottom edge and a line left from the first replacement foil they didn't fit properly on one side.

The black bits look like missing paint. But how & why I don't know as they were not there when I inspected the vehicle upon collection.

I'm wondering whether they tesprayed the whole door as promised...

Did they cut into the paint in order to trim the foil? just a thought.

The pattern of the reflected hose (OP's photo) looks rather a neat

decoration.

I don't know what they did - but whatever they did, they didn't do it properly!

Got it redone without any objection and it has been fine since then. Although I hope to give the car its first proper clean for too long next week and I'll get a better look at the doors then.

If anything is wrong, I've planned on going back to Herefordshire in a couple of weeks so will be able to take it up with them then (and the diesel engine emissions issue as well).

• 3 months later...

Spotted small rust at bottom edge of O/S rear of my 2013 Yeti today and joined this forum as a result.  Very enlightening , thanks.  Will contact my LD on Monday...... fingers crossed

Good luck getting that resolved. Hope it proves to be minor. I may be mistaken but if yours is a Facelift its probably the first report. That sounds ominous.

• 1 month later...

Well, guess what... I have the same. Took to skoda in Winchester today - had a bit of a row with the bodyshop manager who was trying to convince me that they were down to stone chips and that he would therefore not even submit a warranty claim to Skoda as "there is nothing to claim for".

We had a bit of a set two where I pointed out the blisters and showed him there was not a break in the paint on some of them, but he was adamant that there is.

I cited to him the numerous stories of this issue, and "Zinc inclusions" in particular to him, to which I got a very condescending answer that he had read stories of "unicorns" but that didn't mean they existed. I resisted the temptation to say something I would regret but that comment isn't going to leave my head for some time.

He also reeled out the lines of "never heard of this problem before" and "there has been no technical bulletin about this - so it's definitely not a common problem".

I suggested that even if they were stone chips (which they're not) why is it that stone chips elsewhere on the car have not turned into blisters or rust, but on the bottoms of the doors they're all bubbled. I asked him if this was acceptable on a car that will turn 3 years old on 1st March. He had no answer to this.

Anyway they had 5 other Yeti's in the yard - all of varying vintage from 2011 to 2015. And EVERY ONE had rust spots on the lower doors. So if you're reading this, and you own a Yeti, then you probably have them too, you just haven't noticed them yet.

That changed his tune. So he took some photos & has now he's spoken to VAG who have requested more detailed photos. So they're coming out to me tomorrow to take close ups of the blisters.

Reading Llanigraham's advice, I'll drive this to Swansea if need be to get a dealer that will actually get this issue sorted for me under warranty, but for now I'll see what the Winchester dealer does for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

137699, that's an interesting - and concerning - report.  This isn't a coastal issue, it it (airborne coastal salt)?

This is not a coastal "problem" but a well known and well reported problem.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

This is not a coastal "problem" but a well known and well reported problem.

I appreciate that this has been going on for a very long time on pre-facecelift versions, but it did seem that Skoda had sorted it on FL versions - reports of it affecting FL versions are rare.  

In fact I think this is the only report on these forums, though there's a reference to 5 vehicles between 2011 and 2015, some of which may be FL.  Winchester's not that far from the coast, and it just occurred to me that the salt-laded sea air might just be a factor here.  Does seem unlikely though, I accept.  Equally implausible, though, for Skoda to allow this problem to persist for so long, right through a facelift, despite the opportunity to rectify it.

I live facing Douarnenez  Bay here in Finistere, my house is directly facing the Western Approaches, about 3/4 km from the beach/sea edge, my car is a late 2013 produced Adventure, first regd late Feb 2014, so just approaching its 3rd anniversary, I bought the car in Aug 2014 with little mileage, it had obviously sat in a field somewhere for 6 months - the car crossed the channel almost immeadiately, has never been garaged and to the best of my knowledge has no rust spots - last washed/checked Jan this year, maybe I have been lucky, who knows, but there are occaisions of very 'wild' weather, spray etc throughout the year which sort of dispels the idea of wind laden salt causing problems!

Edited by Frenchtone

looks more of a skoda problem than coastal problem and rusting from the inside out through the doors /galvanisation and paint,a number of reports on here and still surprised  many garages/dealers still in denial but what company want to be known for producing cars that rust so they don't have to honour their rust warranty.

• Like 1

The zinc inclusion "problem" is not and never has been a rust problem, and it does not result in perforation of the door skin from the inside. It appears to be a chemical reaction in the zinc coating that is applied to the door prior to painting.

I was told that Skoda did release a Service Bulletin about this matter, but it appears that some dealers don't read them!

And 'zinc inclusion' is regarded by Skoda (and VW for that matter - it's a common problem) as a paint defect, which means that by the time it starts appearing the three year warranty's probably expired.  Always the Sale of Goods Act to fall back on against the retailer, though, or for that matter S75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

2 hours ago, docc said:

And 'zinc inclusion' is regarded by Skoda (and VW for that matter - it's a common problem) as a paint defect, which means that by the time it starts appearing the three year warranty's probably expired.  Always the Sale of Goods Act to fall back on against the retailer, though, or for that matter S75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Mine, and numerous others reported here, had the "problem" within the first year of ownership, so well before the warranty ran out.

Paint doesn't rust,galvanised surfaces don't rust the only thing that rusts is metal,so who came up with the "zinc inclusions" if yetis have rust on their doors it's rust as far as I'm concerned and Skoda should honour the bodywork warranty by any name.

I do not understand why you are so fixed on the rust element. Mine had NO rust, but had blisters under the unbroken paint. Others have reported exactly the same symptoms, and have shown photographs of it. Mine were corrected by Skoda under the normal car warranty, as have numerous others.

And if you check the bodywork warranty you will find that it only covers body perforation from the inside, which all the cases I have seen reported on here did not have. 

And to add, the body of the Yeti is not galvanised; it is coated in a zinc based primer, and it is this that has caused the problem.

I can accept that a reaction between the paint and zinc coating being contaminated is some way during a production process causing the paint to blister/bubble that's one problem but people are reporting rust ,rust ,rust. Who's fixed on rust

When Skoda CZ get processes and quality control wrong, and then main Dealership employees without the training or qualifications dismiss issues you get vehicle like this.

The one that should have been a the Skoda Factory as an example to new employees what getting it wrong can mean.

This was a rusty heap.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/385693-100000=miles-of-poor-reliability-in-a-skoda-yeti-12tsi 

?

Has the recent thread by a new member with a Red Yeti with holes right through the top of the door been deleted?

That was a Body Work with 'Perforation' and needed dealt with.

People need to remember that the Warranty requires 'Bodywork Inspections' which used to show in the 'Service Book' and get written up at 

Minor and major services.

So be sure where you are using 'Main Dealerships' for servicing Fixed or Variable that they print out the 'Body Work Check' and that you do not just have it on the Computer System as the Technician has checked and marked any damage or faulty paint and bodywork or poor repairs.

As to those that get 'Work done' within the 3 year Paint Warranty, good for them, the issue is those going between the 3 years then the 12 year for 

Body Work and Perforations. 

Of not mechantable quality does not finish at 3 years with a Paint Watrranty, and does not have to go to a 'Holed Panel / perforation', 

before it can be considered as a failure of 'Manufacturing or materials or workmanship',  or maybe it is a failure of After Sales from Skoda CZ.

That is the one.

Even the biggest Yeti fanboys can not just ignore things like that, 

even though they have great service and no issues other than the odd 'Paint Repair' Broken Rear Spring and other bitsand pieces that are just one of those things.

9 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Was this it,don't know if this is rust or zinc inclusions

IMG_1469.PNG

This is an extreme example of rust on a modern car. It must have developed over a long period of time, it can't have gone un-noticed at dealer servicing surely - why was nothing done about it at an early stage? Looks like neglect/poor servicing/ corrosive atmosphere - other causes are available!

There can be "rust" on the lower front doors where the vertical vinyl seal rubs with collected road dirt to rub the paint away. This can lead to tradional rust.

Zinc inclusions are something else as explained above - I've had them and deal with under warranty.

Care has to be taken about comparing like with like, which is difficult with an interwebby discussion.

Edited by Yety