Missold car - Incorrect VED band

Not so - both the Skoda 1/14 brochure and the current Skoda website show the 140bhp Manual Estate as 119g/km.

As here http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/new-superb-estate/performance

Also a number of dealers ( mine included ) are advertising identical specification used cars with £30 / year road tax.

I have taken note of the registration a number of similar cars advertised and if you put them into the DVLA website they are all shown as 119g/km. It appears mine is one of a small number that is not as advertised.

So to keep this thread sensible, I would be interested to hear from anyone else who may have the same problem on an early facelift car, and if so what their story is.

Please don't post responses telling me that I can afford to pay for the mistake or that you would be happy to accept the mistake - in my mind there is a principle at stake here and it may be about to affect other owners who are unaware of the issue and in a similar position to me.

Thanks to everyone who have posted helpful comments to date. In the case of the Renault dealership it sounds like they have done the only fair thing as only time will tell what the additional cost incurred will be.

Andrew,

Ok, I understand and apologies for my bluntness yesterday.

So....on the basis of how it was sold to you and what was sold to you, get an explanation from SUK as to the discrepancy. There are cases where a small changeover of spec can cause this and the increase of 2g/km in your case has added the additional RFL cost. Is your car identical to those units you've identified which show 119g/km, so the spec, the date of reg all match etc.? At the end of the day, the dealer is the reseller, but Skoda manufacturer the vehicle and they should give you an adequate explanation and arrange compensation.

Good luck! :) Rob

Not so - both the Skoda 1/14 brochure and the current Skoda website show the 140bhp Manual Estate as 119g/km.

As here http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/new-superb-estate/performance

Also a number of dealers ( mine included ) are advertising identical specification used cars with £30 / year road tax.

I have taken note of the registration a number of similar cars advertised and if you put them into the DVLA website they are all shown as 119g/km. It appears mine is one of a small number that is not as advertised.

Ah, that must be a later revision then. When the facelift version came out I looked at the emissions and it was only the version I mentioned that qualified for "cheap" tax.

Please don't post responses telling me that I can afford to pay for the mistake or that you would be happy to accept the mistake - in my mind there is a principle at stake here and it may be about to affect other owners who are unaware of the issue and in a similar position to me.

If it's just a matter of principles, then ask dealer/Skoda to make a charitable donation on your behalf. You can then do some good for all of your efforts.

Maybe some of the responses would have been different if your initial post had a different tone and you were not using terms like "missold". Using words like mis-sold implies that you are accusing Skoda of dishonest practices.

I suspect a different tone and less accusatory words would have got a different set of responses.

cheers, Steve

• Like 2

As per my link earlier, speak to Skoda UK it is not the first time this has happened... taken from the link... 

"Hi

I have the same problem with my 140 hp est.

I contacted skoda uk with my vin number.

Two days later I got a phone call from skoda uk, and was told d v l a had made a mistake.

Skoda sent me a letter with the correct details, and I have sent it onto d v l a with my v5 for them to correct the v5. "

"Potentially good news. Skoda phoned today to say the information they have provided to DVLA is wrong. The emissions for my car should be 119 but Skoda have sent the wrong figure of 121 to the DVLA which puts it up a band.

Skoda are sending me a letter which the DVLA will need ( have spoken to them), but it seems as though a mistake has been made but one that could potentially affect quite a few people.....

Will keep everyone posted."

"Good news. I have now had through a revised V5 from the DVLA with a new lower figure of 119 g/km which puts it in the lower VED band of £30. 

This will apply to anyone else with a 140 bhp Estate, so I'd suggest it's def worth doing and save yourself £75 each year..... "
Edited by stuarttunstall

Kind of you to offer to pay his £30 , as its not a big deal.

lol

I assume you mean £90 (the difference) and no, of course I'm not paying it. My point is that its a very small amount of money compared to the yearly cost of a car.

A couple of days ago I drove past a patch of broken glass on the road. What if I had punctured a tyre? Should I call the police and find out who had an accident there and then insist they pay for it or should I just spend £60 on a new tyre and move on?

Don't talk nonsense, and what on Earth does a nonexistent puncture have to do with this?. He may be keeping the car for five years in which case that's the best part of £500 extra. If they had just put an extra few hundred quid on the invoice would you also see that as acceptable?

AFAIK the steering is electric assisted on all Mark II Superbs.

it is indeed, just the same as the Octavia MK2 (and Later Mk1's) and all versions of the Fabia.

I had a similar problem when I bought my 2013 plate L & K Auto

The dealers sale sheet clearly showed a £175 Tax Disc.

When I came to collect the car the invoice included Road Tax of £205

I refused to pay the extra and this was accepted

Apparently the spec of the car Auto/4 x 4 took it one Co2 into the higher tax band!!

If I didn't like the car so much I would have created more of a stir.

However it does show how much lower Co2 levels are on newer models.

Thanks for all the posts.
I had been waiting for a conclusion before posting an update but this has still yet to be resolved.

The current situation is that:-

Skoda UK are adamant the cars CO2 is higher than the advertised figure and that DVLA are correct. They tell me that the dealership missold the vehicle to me and that my contract is with the dealership.

I spoke again to the MD of the dealership ( who I have bought several new cars from over the years ). He is adamant that Skoda had supplied information to dealerships stating that the cars were 119g/km and could be advertised as such. 

However they can no longer find any evidence of this information on the Skoda dealership website they have access to.

The dealership is taking no responsibility and deny they made any mistake. However they are supporting my claim against Skoda as they are adamant my car is as advertised.

Thanks to Stuart for his helpful post - I would be interested to know what the build date of his car was to see if it was made before or after my car. I am told the build date for my car was 11 June 2013.

I have asked Skoda what specification differences there are between with my car and the brochure/advert specifications I was given, but Skoda don't appear to be able to tell me.

I have also taken legal advice and I was told the case was clear cut in that the vehicle was missold to me and that as it does not meet the advertised specification the dealership is in breach of contract.

I asked the legal team how they would calculate the cost of the liability and was told that it should be the increased liability over the life of the car, which they calculated to be £800-£1200.

So in summary I am hoping that the dealership and Skoda stop passing the blame to each other and accept that I ( the customer ) did not make any mistake.
I think the simplest and right outcome would be that Skoda assist in getting the car details changed with DVLA, as there is now other evidence of this occurring to other owners.

I will keep the thread posted as to any developments.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Andrew, and I agree that you should be pursuing based on the increased life costs, again it's the principle.

I've just finally sorted a similar issue (although the other way with a Peugeot dealer) - we changed the OH car and when we paid for it, the dealer charged us £20 for VED but when we got the car home and I re-read through the paperwork the receipt from GOV.UK for the VED was £0. I spoke to the dealership on the Monday (after the collection on the Saturday) and they agreed it was their mistake, their accounts department had flagged up the £20 discrepancy. I then spent 4 months trying to get the £20 refunded back to me, the value didn't bother me at all, it was the principle.

Good luck with it.