mirrorlink

stug45

I'm pretty sure that Lollipop will bring compatibility to more phones buy it'd be nice to know for sure.

Its bad enough that MirrorLink won't work with my iphone but you can't order a radio with built in SatNav at all as a factory fit or dealer fit. That plus the loss of CD player makes it a giant leap backwards for mankind. My Monte Carlo Tech can do all these things. 

Its bad enough that MirrorLink won't work with my iphone but you can't order a radio with built in SatNav at all as a factory fit or dealer fit. That plus the loss of CD player makes it a giant leap backwards for mankind. My Monte Carlo Tech can do all these things.

I agree but I've had my Tech just under 2 years and I've never put a CD in the Amundsen so far, I either stream music from my phone or play from my IPod Touch buried in the MDI slot. I would say it's no great loss not being able to play CDs, technology has moved on but it's crazy Skoda has brought out Mirrorlink without making it compatible with most of the major phones out there.

Being a music nut (semi pro performer) I have literally 100s of CDs. I can't imagine how long it would take me to rip them to my iphone. Plus I would need a much bigger iphone.

Being a music nut (semi pro performer) I have literally 100s of CDs. I can't imagine how long it would take me to rip them to my iphone. Plus I would need a much bigger iphone.

I got myself a 64Gb SD card for the glovebox on the Mk3 - I started re-ripping my CD collection a few weeks ago.. so far 111 albums in about 11.8Gb.  Not bad going for using highest quality variable bit-rate mp3s in stereo format.  Should give me plenty of choice alongside the DAB radio should I need it.

Hi There,

While I am a Yeti owner - not a Fabia owner. I am very interested in your experiences with Mirrorlink! I just took delivery of a brand new vehicle with Mirrorlink via an Amundsen+ Nav. Though I'm getting a strange message about activation...

Don't suppose anyone has come across this before?...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9qm4jb2a0vxrok/Mirrorlink.jpg?dl=0

Apologies if my vehicle model disqualifies me from joining this conversation - if it does, let me know and I'll remove the post.

Cheers,

SB

• 3 weeks later...

Big step taken today and got a mirrorlink compatible phone.

If you're parked all functions of my Sony Xperia z3 work, except for video.

If you're driving, you're limited to ones allowed by Skoda (as listed on the website)

No others will be available until they update the firmware.

Only way to get the screen to display sat nav is to pay £71.99 for the sygic app.

I'm hoping by the summer, android auto is allowed on all phones and Skoda release an update for more apps to be allowed. However, this is reliant on mirrorlink and the car connectivity consortium to allow more apps to be used.

I have tried vw apps with it and they don't work.

So basically mirrorlink is useless until updates roll in!

• Like 1

Only way to get the screen to display sat nav is to pay £71.99 for the sygic app.

I didn't realise it was that much.

Don't tell them... or they block it ;) Seriously: this is weird: you can run only certified applications, that passed security tests but you can text which attracts your attention a lot. The only reason could be Skoda making extra money on certified applications...

If someone can get me a telephone number of whoever deals with CCC or mirrorlink along with Skoda in car entertainment and app creation or whoever deals with for the VAG group please pass it on:

1. I'd like to buy shares

2. Complain at the slow process

3. Tell them to corroborate with android auto and get an amazing interface that's already out there!

I've tried android auto and its not compatible yet. You need android 5/L/Lollipop for Google play to let you use it.

So in conclusion only the apps listed on Skoda's website work while driving. If you want an on screen sat nav, the app costs £71.99.

Once they start updating I'll post my findings. Its up to Skoda now.

Official reply from Skoda via telephone today.

Watch this space

I knew more about it than he did. However he did tell me mirrorlink is just an interface to connect.

He did not know that smart gate was available on the fabia.

We need to wait for app makers to set this up.

I feel that waiting will be the only option.

Not knowing enough about how it works. Does the head unit need to be updated? Or does the app have to have the key inputted into its code.

I think it may be the latter as I can see the vw apps on the mirrorlink screen however when I open they don't work with Skoda.

Let's hope the app companies work hard!

I have been speaking to my local dealer about Mirror Link as I am thinking of ordering a replacement for my Elegance Estate.

They tell me that the iPhone as not a supported smart phone and they have bee raising this issue with Skoda since the launch of the new model.

To complicate the matter they understand there is a dispute between Skoda and Apple with each side blaming the other with no sign of resolution.

However they have told me that the iPhone will connect using Bluetooth so at least hands free calls are possible.

In fact whatever he told me about the app makers is rubbish.

When you open the mirrorlink in the car it lists all the mirrorlink compatible apps.

You can open and use them when stationary. However when you drive, they do not work and the error message "this app is not accessible when driving.

It has to be locked by Skoda. Skoda must therefore update and allow use of the apps while driving.

Having tried Bringgo as another attempt to get sat nav, this is used by Vauxhall & Chevrolet through my link (which is different to mirrorlink but the same idea). As this app appears as a selectable app on Mirrorlink, it shows the app provider is happy to make their software useable through mirrorlink.

It is Skoda/Volkswagen/mirrorlink/car connectivity consortium who need to update the head unit to allow apps to be used while driving.

Obviously customer service cannot help.

Tip for those who want to use a phone based sat nav through the car:

Connect to Bluetooth only. Then start your phones music player.

Open sat nav (you'll probably use google maps) and start navigation.

You cannot use the car screen for visuals, however you can hear directions.

Do not bother (unless you're rich, but would you have still bought a Fabia?) to use Sygic. Its £72!

I would like Skoda to tell me what is going on with updates.

It is clear that the mirrorlink system recognises compatible apps by showing them on screen.

However, it is obvious Skoda/the software in the unit is blocking them from being used.

I understand there is a safety aspect they need to consider, but why is a sat nav app like google maps or Bringgo (Bringgo is used on my link for Chevrolet and Vauxhall) not usable.

If safety is paramount, why can text messages be read, written and sent while driving?

I can see why videos shouldn't be played while in motion, so why are they blocked when you're stationary too?

Can Skoda/mirrorlink clarify whether it is the app that needs the code to say safe to use while in motion or whether the list of safe apps needs to be added to the bolero head unit?