Which engine do you recommend for my needs

I presently have a 68 BHP 1.4 mpi Fabia 1 estate

The car is used as a little workhorse around town. I am thinking the lowly 1.2 might be fine with similar power, but should I consider others? A diesel would be good for economy but I don't want DPF woes with town driving.

I've enjoyed the simplicity and reliability of my 1.4 mpi. I welcome recommendations and positives/negatives

Thanks

There isnt a 1.0 in the mark 2 fabia.

Your options are-

1.2htp 70

1.2 tsi 86/105

1.6tdi

Wouldnt have a diesel for town work n short trips, its more hassle than its worth.

1.2tsi is a brilliant engine. Lovely to drive and you cant really tell its got a turbo as such, it pulls nicely throughout the revs. Itll do about the same mpg as the HTP but has abit more power, but its obviously more complicated.

The 1.2htp is the most simple, chain driven 3 cylinder, NA. Not the quickest car in the world but not bad at all. Happy on motorways or town driving. Known to be abit bulletproof and cheaper to buy than the TSI.

With your needs, sounds like youd be fine with a htp.

I've got one n dont do short trips. I live in a very hilly area too n its great. More progress can be made than people initially realise i think. 3rd gear overtakes arent as bad as youd think, and itll return 45-50mpg

Recently sold my son's 1.2 htp engined Fabia1, with almost 150,000 miles. Service & oil changes on time, absolutely NO engine problems at all. A good, strong chain driven engine. Around 50mpg on a run.

• Like 1