What miles is the car run in at? vRS TSI

Hiya folks, I`ve been reading various posts about how peoples car isn`t run in at 4k miles etc. I was expecting to do about 1k miles at various loads, speeds and throttle openings then away we go for full revs and performance. I`ve got a holiday in Germany about 6 weeks after getting the car and will be doing a lap or 2 of the `Ring. The car will probably have about 1500 miles under its tyres by then.

I was told by my dealer here in Norway to "take it easy" for the first 1000 km. That is for a 2.0 TDI (184hp). I struggled to hold back, frequently checking the odometer. As soon as it hit 4 figures my right foot got a lot heavier!

There are 2 trains of thought on this. The first is the line the dealers take... I. E. Take it easy for the first 1000km/miles etc... Then enjoy at leisure. The other is to thrash it from day one. You will never get an agreement on a forum as to which is the best method.

In general, the thrash method is alleged to give (on average) better performance as it's more suited to bedding in the piston rings. The take it easy method is the more reserved if you are bothered about longevity.

I drive a company car and don't have to worry about repair costs so you can probably guess which method i lean towards.

Edited by Greg R

Mine says:

"Driving in the engine

The engine has to be run in during the first 1500 kilometres. During this period, the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.

During the first 1 000 km we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and to dispense with the trailer.

In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres the engine load can be increased up to the maximum permitted engine speed."
  • Like 1

Its sensible not just to run in the engine but all the components, the brakes and tyres are new as well so I treat those kindly for the first 500 miles. Personally I'm not a fan of running the engine in gently and always run in hard, none of my cars (including my CAVE VRS) use oil and produce good dyno figures

I think the posts you have read about not being run in at 4k refer to full 'loosening up' and fuel consumption rather than any run in period.

This.

The warnings in the manual about being sensible for the first 1000 miles or whatever are designed to avoid people causing damage.

The engine will still continue to loosen up for some time after that.

Just don't red line it.... But as others say, the tyres, brakes etc need bedding in first anyway. Just drive it as you would normally, unless youre going on a country road rallye

Just don't red line it.... But as others say, the tyres, brakes etc need bedding in first anyway. Just drive it as you would normally, unless youre going on a country road rally

Cheers folks, I`ll run it in how I see fit, working it rather than thrashing it :D The amount of threads on car and motorcycle forums I see of how to run engines in are many and varied! Just some engines loosen up after x amount of miles and I was just wondering about the TSI engine :D

Driving in the engine

The engine has to be run in during the first 1500 kilometres. During this period, the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.

During the first 1 000 km we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and to dispense with the trailer.

In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres the engine load can be increased up to the maximum permitted engine speed.

New tyres

New tyres have to be “run in” since they do not offer optimal grip at first.

Drive especially carefully for the first 500 km or so.

New brake pads

New brake pads have to first “grind in” because these do not initially have the best possible braking effect.

Drive especially carefully for the first 200 km or so.

• Like 1

Guys, unless you are all driving really hard I'm sure everything will be fine under normal conditions. My work Scout Paramedic DSG has been driven very hard since day one as it has needed to be. It has never missed a beat and only gets better.

My own TDi Mk3 DSG VRs. Combi is now on 2500 miles and she is in fine fine fettle. Even though I spend a min of 12hrs a day in a scout I still have a big grin when I see my VRs in the station car park. I'm not one for following how much fuel I use, I just know I'm happy with it, though I must admit it's a very small tank and she is using less now than the day I picked her up.

Don't worry, I'm sure the guys who drive it off the ferry into the giant car parks will have already run it in for you [emoji6]

My opinion (and I've done this for the last 2 new cars I've owned) is drive it how you normally would. The running in of engines has long gone with modern materials and processes used nowadays.

• Like 3

Don't worry, I'm sure the guys who drive it off the ferry into the giant car parks will have already run it in for you [emoji6]

My opinion (and I've done this for the last 2 new cars I've owned) is drive it how you normally would. The running in of engines has long gone with modern materials and processes used nowadays.

Exactly &  don't forget the guys in the factory who drive it round on the starter motor

All new cars are delivered with the engine management system in "get you home mode" which prevents you or the shippers driving the car hard.

Never heard that about being in a limp home mode , sounds fishy to me

All cars are also run on a rolling road at the factory, it's not 1953 with buckets of swarf needing flushing out at 500 miles