Moments of joy in your day today

mender

3 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

Any ideas as to the origins?  The carer's language is English but with a suggestion of - maybe - Icelandic hints?  The dog's names are also Scandiwegian in style.

Update: managed to decode the text at top right - Scagway, Alaska.  Is this their version of Doggy Daycare?

Edited by MikeTheThinker

25 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Any ideas as to the origins?  The carer's language is English but with a suggestion of - maybe - Icelandic hints?  The dog's names are also Scandiwegian in style.

I think it's Alaska?

https://www.youtube.com/MoMountainMutts

Just noticed that whilst i was researching where it was you found out where it was 😂

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I love that my Daughter, 28 years old and Store Manager in a major supermarket chain, still draws me a card every year on a certain day.  This year she's drawn a picture of her Granddad's (my Dad) Sunbeam S7 motorbike he had in the mid '70's:

IMG_9012.thumb.jpeg.157a39bc2198f12f22b647662b49845f.jpeg

I also got a near plate sized eccles cake:

IMG_9014.thumb.jpeg.4b033864ff5aa690acb621cdee9f33f1.jpeg

We had a day out today, going to West Bay in Dorset.  I love West Bay 😎

It was the last place I had a proper day out with my mum before she passed away in 2009 and where we had her wake. 

She lived in Broad Windsor not far from Bridport. 

Did you pass a very very long wall with a huge gate and two stone sculptures of Stags either side of it by any chance? That's the edge of Richard Drax MPs estate. 

5 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Did you pass a very very long wall with a huge gate and two stone sculptures of Stags either side of it by any chance? That's the edge of Richard Drax MPs estate. 

Yeah, 'course - there and back.  We love the area and I could see myself retiring to Bridport, or thereabouts 😎  Today's the day my Local Government pensions are payable from.  Not State Pension age yet, but does that make me a pensioner?  Heaven forbid 😱

G

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yeah, 'course - there and back.  We love the area and I could see myself retiring to Bridport, or thereabouts 😎  Today's the day my Local Government pensions are payable from.  Not State Pension age yet, but does that make me a pensioner?  Heaven forbid 😱

G

Congratulations Gaz ;)

no, not a proper pensioner until the state starts paying you :D

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mac11irl said:

no, not a proper pensioner.....

Pah, always the bridesmaid ...... :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So do I, sadly they are getting rarer these days along with London Cheesecakes and Belgian Buns, in fact good old bakeries have gone and pathetic supermarkets have replaced them with their limited offerings ☹️

Eccles cakes are still pretty easy to get up here in the North West and Chorley cakes are available too :) M&S do a nice Eccles, but they do sprinkle the pastry with sugar, which is an acquired taste imho (it won't stop me eating one though) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've just bombed into town and got her some lovely stems. 

This you 'bombing into town'? 

image.thumb.png.7ce07d9111a33e4c9f45e776eac2e0b3.png

26 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Eccles cakes are still pretty easy to get up here in the North West and Chorley cakes are available too :) M&S do a nice Eccles, but they do sprinkle the pastry with sugar, which is an acquired taste imho (it won't stop me eating one though) 

Probably one for 'Dull things' but my Dad's from Eccles. 

• Haha 3

Should've said in the other thread that we know Broadwindsor fairly well.  Our all time favourite B&B (now sadly closed 😢) was at Pilsdon.  We'd go through Broadwindsor on our way to The New Inn at Stoke Abbott.

I wish re the scooter 🏎️  Traffic going into town was atrocious.  And when I got to near the flower shop, the road is now 'No vehicles except for access 🚫'.  Should've cycled in, but the freesias are quite delicate, so might've got mullered on the ride back.

G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Eccles should be sprinkled with sugar ,chorley cakes are made with a sweet pastry so have no sugar on them ,plenty available here in yorkshire too ,as my belly will testify haha 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Eccles should be sprinkled with sugar ,chorley cakes are made with a sweet pastry so have no sugar on them ,plenty available here in yorkshire too ,as my belly will testify haha 👍

Sadly however, that is not the case down here around the London area, we are dictated to by the supermarkets , who will only stock what they make the most profits on and that I feel is because of the very high property prices and business rates here. 

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

Sadly however, that is not the case down here around the London area, we are dictated to by the supermarkets , who will only stock what they make the most profits on and that I feel is because of the very high property prices and business rates here. 

I think its a northern thing graham ,eccles ,chorley ,bit of stodge to keep us warm haha .

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

A colleague of mine, who has a Baker for a mum, told me it was the pastry difference that separated Eccles and Chorley cakes. I've had Eccles with both Sugar and no sugar, and I think I prefer without. But boy does that flaky pastry make a mess!. They are quite nice warmed up and with custard, but don't tell anyone I said that. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, olddog said:

Really hope its still made in Argentina.....but is it ?

No mention of Argentina on the back only Scotland and Poland and there's a GB customs code on it. 

• Like 1