Moments of joy in your day today

mender

On 17/03/2024 at 09:57, anton said:

Ah damn it ,i just have to say the above is not willy waving  😊 its the view from a café  not my place, did i intend to give that impression i lived there,? Yes, i am very immature ha

Well you failed, it looked like a café or restaurant view to me!

It looks familiar, what beach is it?

On 17/03/2024 at 12:23, skomaz said:

Yesterday I finally got round to sorting the boot lighting in the Kodiaq.

We have my daughter's wheelchair dismantled and tied in at either side of the boot so the two lights at either side of the tailgate are blocked and useless anyway.

Less than £10 later and I have a 500mm x 5mm 12v LED strip stuck to the underside of the roller blind load cover wired in via a small plug and socket arrangement to the left hand OE light.

It comes on with the OE lights and illuminates the whole boot with no issues and the plug and socket means I can still remove the roller blind when needed.

It'll need a bit of fettling at some point (a smaller JST plug arrangement and some black wiring ) but as a proof of concept I'm well chuffed with it for an hour's work.

I used something similar but attached them to the C pillars high and low facing forwards, these were a string of sets of 5 LEDs moulded into plastic spaced apart by the conductor wires, you can cut them off and use them individually and with care fix them using screws through the plastic avoiding the conductors.

It lights up the whole of the rear and far forward if the rear seats are removed or folded forward, the upper ones help considerably but I had not considered when I drive with a load projecting out the tailgate, the lights remain on and by dusk are intolerable like someone right up your chuff with a full set of Cibie Oscars on a light bar on full 🥴

The answer was to manually close the tailgate latch fooling the body control module.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

It is my mums 99th birthday on Sunday but there is a party with a local musician being held in the nursing home for her this afternoon.

The home has made the arrangements and they do events for the residents very very well and they have stuff of all sorts happening regularly. 

Since she was 80 she organised and paid for a weekend away for up to 32 of the family, children, grand children and great grand children.

There has only been 4 years that was not held at her birthday.

She is excited about today and a few of us will be there.

It is sad to see how much she has changed since having a fall last Easter and ended up in hospital then having to give up living in her own home. 

She is happy where she is and well looked after by the staff and gets plenty visitors. 

Many happy returns to your Mum in advance! Hope she has a grand day. :):party:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Well you failed, it looked like a café or restaurant view to me!

It looks familiar, what beach is it?

It's Polzeath beach, the cafe is in New Polzeath, only went as my fam were down here, I am a tight wad who sits on a rock with a flask

• Like 2

Reading that the Upper House of the Reichstag has passed the legalisation of cannabis effective from the first of April 

• Sad 2

@skomaz rather than posting in 'Dull Things' I'll post it here as it's far too exciting for there; IMO Top Gun has one of the best intros of all time - I love the way it slowly builds up and then goes straight into Kenny Loggins' 'Danger Zone'. It's a great soundtrack and I also had it but on Cassette along with a few other soundtracks.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

So today I finally got my Rasperry Pi speed-camera running properly. I had a problem with it only logging speeds upto about 53mph (we're on a 40mph road so it's a problem that this is even a problem).
Asked for a bit of help on teh forum I got the code from and it was a really simple (if you know it) tweak.

Problem now is that I can actually see how fast some of these b£$£%£ds are going.
It's only been logging properly for about 6 hours and I've got multiple cars going 75+ (one special little person I've got doing 74+ 3 times so far today in his black landcruiser).
Speeds are averaging 45+ and we have VAS signs within 300m.

For info system is calibrated on known values (i.e. me doing a GPS legal speed run).

Todays champion so far @92mph in a 40 -

Screenshot 2024-04-03 143558.png

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Aspman said:

…. 75+ (one special little person I've got doing 74+ 3 times so far today in his black landcruiser).

RPG (or maybe 4) ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

So today I finally got my Rasperry Pi speed-camera running properly. I had a problem with it only logging speeds upto about 53mph (we're on a 40mph road so it's a problem that this is even a problem).
Asked for a bit of help on teh forum I got the code from and it was a really simple (if you know it) tweak.

Problem now is that I can actually see how fast some of these b£$£%£ds are going.
It's only been logging properly for about 6 hours and I've got multiple cars going 75+ (one special little person I've got doing 74+ 3 times so far today in his black landcruiser).
Speeds are averaging 45+ and we have VAS signs within 300m.

For info system is calibrated on known values (i.e. me doing a GPS legal speed run).

Screenshot 2024-04-03 143558.png

That looks like a Land Rover Defender that thinks it's one of the blue light services...

You could try reporting to the local police but they'll need pukka calibrated data to prosecute.  If you need evidence for them to do something it might be worth getting a traffic survey company involved as they can probably put a couple of pneumatic tubes down and do a two week Automatic Traffic Count / Speed Survey using calibrated equipment for a few hundred quid (we usually pay something around the £350 mark for them).  If nothing else the data would be independent and the same as that generally used by Local Highway Authorities to justify speeding concerns etc. to help get the police involved.

I'm assuming you don't have the above linked to a front facing camera for number plate recognition?

• Like 2

So I have started moaning to the council and the local politicians. I've also flagged this again with Police Scotland.
The council reponse is basically to shrug their shoulders, I suggested the limit should be lowered to 30mpg their answer was that if it goes lower no one will pay attention to it. Great argument I thought.

We're had the pneumatic pipe system out before and that led to the VAS signs going in. The two weeks that was down gave a street record of 105mph in the 40.
Obv I'm not happy with folk scudding past but worst of all we have no paths here and the local kids all have to walk on verges or the road to get to the bus and there are no crossings for them. All with cars doing 80+ quite regularly.

I've signed up to volunteer with the local speedwatch and have my training on Sunday.

I've not quite fugures out how to get the data off the pi yet, but one assumes setting up a file share should be easier than a AI images processing.

But here is a cap of the top figures for the last 36hr. That table only has people doing 47+ (in a 40). The size of the scrollbar will give you an idea how bad it is. We're averaging 50+ some hours.

speedybast.png.8288fadb0c1fb00be86b8cef09ec6d9b.png

• Like 2

Maybe invest in a fake speed camera or some bolt down speed humps?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Maybe invest in a fake speed camera or some bolt down speed humps?

Will speak to the traffic cops on Sunday

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some clear joy,

We ordered a bread maker about 6 weeks ago. Who'd have thought there was a bread maker shortage.
Arrived yesterday.
Had a go last night, listened to it making odd noises in the evening and then we went to bed.

This morning, lo... a pretty decent wholemeal loaf waiting on us.
Quite pleased for a first attempt. And actually (bit sad I know) quite excited to try again.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Only 3 more uses until it hits the top or back of a cupboard for the next few years, until binned. 

:D

they are famous for it, but I hope not.

10 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Some clear joy,

We ordered a bread maker about 6 weeks ago. Who'd have thought there was a break maker shortage.
Arrived yesterday.
Had a go last night, listened to it making odd noises in the evening and then we went to bed.

This morning, lo... a pretty decent wholemeal loaf waiting on us.
Quite pleased for a first attempt. And actually (bit sad I know) quite excited to try again.

We have a had a few cheap bread makers over the years and they were not reliable and the results were largely disappointing.

All changed when we bought a Panasonic, which has proven to be reliable and consistently produce excellent results.

I also use it to make our pizza dough, and naan bread, but should experiment more than I do.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 2

The biggest problem with bread makers is that the blasted paddle always gets wedged in the bottom of the loaf, so someone gets sandwiches etc with a chunk missing. 😢

Disagree.

The biggest problem with our bread maker is the bread is too damned nice - I'm eating way too much! 🤣

Next biggest is the paddle...

• Haha 1

We've had a breadmaker for about 20 years from memory (maybe even longer) and have hardly bought 'shop' bread since we got one...   They are great things once you get used to them and sort a recipe that works with your machine (I've found the recipes in the manuals that come with them usually aren't the best - needing less yeast, less salt and more water.

As @SteveTheElder says the biggest problem is the bread is too nice and you end up eating far too much of it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

All changed when we bought a Panasonic, which has proven to be reliable and consistently produce excellent results.

Us too.  Really sad we lost it in the flood 😞

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

so someone gets sandwiches etc with a chunk missing.

Just think of it as the baking equivalent of a Polo mint :)

• Like 1