Car battery exploded

There is no vent plug on that exide battery, modern lead-calcium batteries don't vent gas but recombine internally,,hence the maintenance free.

Acid spillage is either a cracked case or, as I believe here, thermal runaway

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=rZYZVY2IIInvaMGygvAB&url=http://www.alber.com/Docs/Brochure_WhitePaper_Thermal.pdf&ved=0CCMQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNERPycXrnAbbowuOKag2fxFQsvWHA

The acid boiled and forced its way through the safety vent which is the charge indicator window.

Fyi same battery big sticker warning of plug

• Like 1

Watching the video confirms 100% that there are vent plugs that need removing.

If you bought the battery and fitted yourself even if the warning sticker was missing it should be in the booklet on the side, think you will struggle to get anywhere with Exide.

If you had the battery fitted by a competent person and the plugs are still in, then you have a chance to complain..

• Like 2

Hehe, good find.  I reckon that label was maybe missing from the OP's battery, or in the 'wrong' language.

I apologise for doubting you Richf.

Sounds possible then that the OP might have been sold a dodgy battery posing as a genuine Exide one ? Just a thought. :notme:

Fyi same battery big sticker warning of plug

I stand corrected! I could'nt recall those transit plugs and I've fitted 2 new exide batteries in recent years. Must be early onset of dementia! Apologies.

Cheers for all the help guys, I expect it is this issue of the plugs, this is me currently -> :wall: However, it is a lesson learnt, and something I can warn other people about. Bought a new battery today and the plugs are clearly visible on it, will be inspecting the one that blew up next week when I go back to Southampton.

eYpT7X.jpg

aSDFXP.jpg

Decided to wash, polish and wax the car, only for a seagull to **** on it a couple of hours later. Not been the luckiest of people this week! 

coDFFj.jpg

LRvHl9.jpg

Either that or leaking acid in transit

The battery is in a Skoda :notme:

Might be worth washing down surrounding area with a solution of a mild alkali ( BI CARB ?) to neutralise the acid and then a good hose down, followed by a coat of decent paint. NB- wear decent gloves and EYE PROTECTION  before going anywhere NEAR THE AREA.

It takes ages to do any damage, even after 6 month + nothing much will happen other than a green fluffy stuff around the area and a bad smell.

I know, there's a TERRIBLE fuss being made about it as if it were some deadly toxin.

Just flush the whole area with plenty of clean water and everything will be fine, I'm not averse to tasting battery acid if I'm not sure what it is, it's pretty disgusting but not dangerous when dilute enough.

• Like 1

It's a corrosive and it will be very strong on a new battery, wouldnt want it in my eyes but wouldn't want it sitting on metal parts for extended period of time either but it's not hugely dangerous

Dont underestimate Battery acid - its the weapon of choice in the middle east to blind and disfigure victims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/14/zanzibar-acid-attack-victims-skin-grafts_n_3754002.html?

Just because you are man enough to lick a miniscule amount of the stuff, doesnt make it any less dangerous. And they do make a complete mess of battery trays in very little time.

Dont underestimate Battery acid - its the weapon of choice in the middle east to blind and disfigure victims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/14/zanzibar-acid-attack-victims-skin-grafts_n_3754002.html?

Just because you are man enough to lick a miniscule amount of the stuff, doesnt make it any less dangerous. And they do make a complete mess of battery trays in very little time.

That's concentrated Sulphuric Acid, undiluted. I wouldn't dream of tasting that stuff, it's Satans semen.

It did most of the damage in the time it took for me to find it, which could have been as little as 5 mins (drove the car in the morning) to a few days before when I last checked my coolant ( I have a slight leak). On the engine cover there is streaks of acid burns, along with the metal box (ECU maybe?) at the back, and the lacquer on the paint at the rear right now looks horrible when wet. I immediately got a rag out, wiped most of it off, and rinsed it off with a little bit of water. It hasn't done any more damage and I took a bucket of water to it yesterday to doubly make sure its not done anything else. A couple of the bolts/screws had that greeny stuff, but easily wiped off. My concern is it could have potentially weakened some clips.

Wouldn't recommend licking the stuff! A little bit was bad enough on my fingers

Bet there was( or isn't) much left of the rag. I always wore overalls for battery toppingup duties, and even then I'd get holes in them .