Start-stop system errors

I have to step quite firmly on the brake for the engine to stop.

I don't have to brake at all. In very slow moving (i.e. mostly stationary) traffic I have sometimes moved a few car lengths forward by getting it rolling and then knocking it out of gear and letting it coast to a standstill (assuming I judged it well enough that it stops a sensible distance from the car in front, which certainly doesn't happen every time, but sometimes). In this instance I have noticed that it seems to cut the engine just a split second before the car actually stops, so I believe that the conditions for cutting the engine are; 1) out of gear with clutch up, and 2) speed less than 0.2mph (roughly!).

I remember reading that the turbo is oil cooled, and the oil keeps flowing and cooling the turbo even after the engine is stopped. (Don't take my word for it though.)

They are, but when the engine stops the oil does not get circulated and the turbo can be damaged, hence you should always let the engine idle before turning off to extend the life of the turbo.

For TSS, if you have just come off a high speed run, the TSS doesn't cut in until the diagnostics say it can operate again.

It was on because the setting "Auto" is on, when on Auto AC is in fact turned on. AC does not just cool interiors, it works well in the colder months by reducing the moisture in the air thus reducing misting inside the car. You basically pass the cooled air across the heater matrix, so you get hot air out the vents with no moisture.

I get the point, but even if this per definition is air conditioning, I am surprised it needs that much power for the ventilators to keep running during an automatic engine stop, and hence the start/stop system should be working.. The real power consumption unit in the AC is of course the compressor, and that was not turned on. But apparently something in the AC does disable the start-stop system without the compressor running, so you must be right :-)

I do see the point with these messages not being real error messages, this saved me a visit to the dealer (who told me to have it checked when I mailed him).

I get the point, but even if this per definition is air conditioning, I am surprised it needs that much power for the ventilators to keep running during an automatic engine stop, and hence the start/stop system should be working.. The real power consumption unit in the AC is of course the compressor, and that was not turned on. But apparently something in the AC does disable the start-stop system without the compressor running, so you must be right :-)

As I understand it, in many modern cars the compressor is always running when the engine is and the AC system is just controlling the flow of coolant.

(Some cars however are able to run the compressor independently from the engine, but that's usually reserved for hybrids and electric cars since it's more expensive to have a motor just for the compressor.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just today I noticed my epc light on and start stop system error message in the car menu on the bolero. I was sat with the engine running, aircon on with the door open whilst picking my kids up. I'm hoping the problems gone in the morning. I don't want more problems with my car.

Just today I noticed my epc light on and start stop system error message in the car menu on the bolero. I was sat with the engine running, aircon on with the door open whilst picking my kids up. I'm hoping the problems gone in the morning. I don't want more problems with my car.

Would help if you said what the message said.

That's what it said in the information. " stop/start system error". I'm hoping it was relating to me having the passenger door open too long with the air con on and engine on.

My stop start system rarely works, pretty useless really. But then I put that down to the number of short journeys that I do, however I know it works when I do a longish trip >100 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

The other day whilst sat at traffic lights, clutch pedal down, engine idling then all of a sudden I get system error stop/start, epc light on and limp mode. After switching off the car and restarting it went. My service guy picked the car up the other day and the epc light came on again but no limp mode, plus it showed no errors logged when they hooked it up at the dealership. They said all they could do was log the issue with skoda uk and wait and see what the outcome is.

The other day whilst sat at traffic lights, clutch pedal down, engine idling then all of a sudden I get system error stop/start, epc light on and limp mode. After switching off the car and restarting it went. My service guy picked the car up the other day and the epc light came on again but no limp mode, plus it showed no errors logged when they hooked it up at the dealership. They said all they could do was log the issue with skoda uk and wait and see what the outcome is.

I bet there is an error code logged - find someone with VCDS

My money would be on the engine ECU or ABS module :)

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past 2 weeks driving to work and back I've found that when I manually disable stop/start I don't have any warning lights or errors, but the days when auto stop/start is active I get the EPC on and the message stop/start error on the infotainment display. Strange how my dealer says it isn't logging an error code when it happens.

I bought my vrs as an ex demo with 300 miles on the clock in Jan 2014. Since that time I have done 5000 miles and the car has spent 99 days in the dealers whilst they try and repair it. I have a reoccurring fault with stop start and epc/engine management system lights coming on.

Dealer claims they can never replicate the fault and it never logs an error code. I do however always take a photo of tge fault messages with the mileage as proof.

So far they have replaced ecu, turbo , sensors and all the wiring to the stop start, but still the error comes back every time.

I have been trying for a replacement vehicle for a year and now resorted to using the financial ombudsman to support me.

I still have not been offered a swap or new vehicle.

AndyP and SamIOW - there will be error codes logged - get someone with VCDS to do a scan when it happens again

+1

There has to be an error stored if the engine warning light comes on.

If the dealer has witnessed the light but says there is no codes then the vehicle is clearly faulty & they should be investigating.

Going back a few replies - on the last Octy (MY14, 1.4 TSI DSG), there was a spot on the brakes that would bring it to a stop, but not allow SS to kick in.  Press the pedal a little more and it would stop.  I tried to catch it out, but failed and after a while gave up thinking about it.

On the Passat I'm current piloting (MY14 2.0 TDI 177 Manual), your foot has to be almost off the clutch pedal as it doesn't quite return enough with my foot just resting on it - I assume it's a clutch switch possibly needs a tweak but life is too short for me,

I've also seen some misguided STATUS messages - like "Engine must be running" when it actually is.  It might be VAG-ese for "has to be running for x seconds after startup" (one of the several conditions that must be met for SS to work).  Again, I've got past the point of worrying about it.

Not wanting to be a killjoy but (legally - if that's the right term) if you permanently disable the SS by coding then you have changed the theoretical CO2 figures - I believe.  No different to changing stock 16" wheels to aftermarket 19" wider ones (as bigger wheels usually  come with wider tyres, more resistance and a higher CO2 figure).  Whether or not this would be enforceable (might be in California  :p ) is another matter entirely!  Back when SS was an option (a few years ago) you had a lower CO2 figure for the SS variant of a car.  If you now remove the SS, you should have informed DVLA accordingly - theoretically, of course.  If the system happens to be in fault (by unplugging a having a faulty sensor that only affects SS), then...?

Same topic on MK7 Golf forums..................

However there is a solution to the problem...............

Fit a bigger & better battery!!!!...................Stop/Start requires you have a battery controller module & basically VAG fit small EFB batteries (penny pinching) & the battery can't re-gen enough when doing town driving or mid distance driving. So loads or errors get thrown up!

However you need VCDS to re-code the battery module properly.

Read my thread & how to here.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

:nerd:

Going back a few replies - on the last Octy (MY14, 1.4 TSI DSG), there was a spot on the brakes that would bring it to a stop, but not allow SS to kick in.  Press the pedal a little more and it would stop.  I tried to catch it out, but failed and after a while gave up thinking about it.

On the Passat I'm current piloting (MY14 2.0 TDI 177 Manual), your foot has to be almost off the clutch pedal as it doesn't quite return enough with my foot just resting on it - I assume it's a clutch switch possibly needs a tweak but life is too short for me,

This is normal on a manual, the clutch has to be fully released before the engine will stop. Pressing the clutch down triggers the restart.

On a DSG you have to release the brake to start the engine (the opposite of the clutch) so its logical that one has to be pressed fully down & the other has to be fully released.

I've also seen some misguided STATUS messages - like "Engine must be running" when it actually is.

There is another very old thread about this but basically what it says is correct. It can just be interpretted several way.

(I also assume like you it was a SW glitch & it didnt realise the engine had been started. It was actually explained to me by my German salesman so I guess the wording comes partly from the German translation).

It means the engine must "continue to" be running - something in the system is preventing the engine from stopping.

This message in particular seems to do with regeneration on diesels so I don't know why it didn't say "Regeneration requires engine to be running" as with the AC, battery or other messages.

Same topic on MK7 Golf forums..................

However there is a solution to the problem...............

Fit a bigger & better battery!!!!...................Stop/Start requires you have a battery controller module & basically VAG fit small EFB batteries (penny pinching) & the battery can't re-gen enough when doing town driving or mid distance driving. So loads or errors get thrown up!

However you need VCDS to re-code the battery module properly.

Read my thread & how to here.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

:nerd:

Errors or informational messages as to why SS is unavailable?

There is a difference between a SS system error and it being permanently unavailable and an informational message such as the badly worded 'Engine must be running'

Each time I've had an EPC light and stop/start error my s/s system has been active. I have no issues when it's manually deactivated. Today driving home I pulled up at a set of lights, chose neutral, handbrake on, the engine turned off. When I dipped the clutch to start the engine nothing happened and the maxidot said "Manually start car" I had to turn the key. The s/s system is getting mor and more unreliable. As a precaution I checked my battery status and it's at 80% so the issue doesn't lie there. I look like booking it in with the dealer yet again.

Each time I've had an EPC light and stop/start error my s/s system has been active. I have no issues when it's manually deactivated. Today driving home I pulled up at a set of lights, chose neutral, handbrake on, the engine turned off. When I dipped the clutch to start the engine nothing happened and the maxidot said "Manually start car" I had to turn the key. The s/s system is getting mor and more unreliable. As a precaution I checked my battery status and it's at 80% so the issue doesn't lie there. I look like booking it in with the dealer yet again.

I don't think the battery status indication is very accurate, so wouldn't believe that.

• Like 1