Being asked to upgrade to Windows 10

Rustynuts

I've noticed this on quite a few computers I've been working on today. Windows 7 and Windows 8 ones.

I'm interested to know how the install works, as in will it be a clean operating system or like an upgrade.

If it's the upgrade route then I'm considering reinstalling Windows 7 clean on my PC then doing the upgrade to Windows 10.

I've been using Windows 10 on a test rig. From a technical point of view it feels no different to Windows 8, only a bit more user friendly. I will be happy to use it as soon as it comes out.

At the moment I am going to wait anyway.

Looks like this isn't actually an upgrade, just a chance to 'reserve' your copy due to one of the latest updates: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I can't see any harm in doing so but I'd wait until after it's released (29th July?) to see how well received it is and if you want to upgrade.

Rather annoyingly, I've got the notification on my desktop (which is my main computer) and not on my laptop which I use occasionally. If it were on the laptop I'd just run it on and see. Apparently Microsoft aren't offering the free upgrade to Windows 8 users, just Windows 7 and 8.1.

I have the notification on my Windows 8 PC (Work) and my WIndows 7 PC (Home). I guess the notifications are a roll out with a windows update based from Windows updates based from the article from langers2k

Try checking for WIndows updates, especially the optional ones.

I hated Windows 8 with a passion mainly because I neither have a touch screen nor like change for change sake as I am an old Git!  Got rid of the Windows 8 laptop when I left my last job as I was the Union Secretary and it came with the role.  Bought a Windows 7 laptop for my own use and far happier with it.  Will be interesting to see what 10 is like though.

Just did the reservation thing and opted to skip the email confirmation.......... why would I want more emails if it's not required lol 

• Like 1

Think I might wait to do mine until a few weeks are past as ,given previous experience, Windows editions are always buggy for about 1-2 months after release due to missing drivers etc.

• Like 1

I've been running Windows 10 Technical Preview for a couple of months now. It runs quite well even on an old (2008) Dell laptop. I'd still be hesitant to upgrade my main laptop from Win7 to Win10 though.

• Like 3

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/01/windows_10_release_july_29_free_upgrades/

Doesn't seem to be due for a bit.

I'd hoped I would be able to download an image or an ISO, I don't want to do an upgrade I want to do a clean install on a new disk.

I have run the Windows 10 dev for a while now and I don't think you will be disappointed aslong as you can adapt to change :)

So glad they got rid of the windows start tile option tho!

• Like 2

Apart from the fact that anything resembling Win8 is a no-no for me; I have noticed a possible kicker in the "Free Win10" offer.

It states "and free updates for a year".

That would suggest you are going to have to pay, either a reduced price or a subscription fee a year down the line - if you want to keep using it.

I've been running the tech preview for a couple of months on my Surface Pro and it's pretty good.

Microsoft have said that 10 will be the last full version of Windows as they have been wanting for years to move to a more incremental update methodologhy - presumably paid via subscription to give them a more consistent revenue stream :D

Got the message last night and registered.

Again just hoping I'll be able to do a fresh install somehow. Otherwise I'll have to clone the existing drive to an SSD and upgrade that.

Win8 was very good under the surface, Win10 should build on that with a better interface.

Microsoft can do things very well when they stick to making thing work. It's bells and whistles they're **** at.

Edited by Aspman

I'm waiting for the win10 ISO to appear in MSDN and then I'll be on it :-)

Desktop, Surface 2 and a couple of laptops.

I'm running Win 7 Enterprise on my home laptops and work rig - None of these have this option....Not like I'm going to upgrade them anyhow!

Win 7 SP1 has become the new XP, reliable (ish) and stable (ish)

• Like 1

This is being discussed on another forum I am on and apparently there is a Windows upgrade that is nothing more than an advert for Windows 10 so if you download it in your updates you will be pestered to death about upgrading to 10.  Just checked updates for my laptop (don't do it often enough) and sure enough it was there so I unticked it.  This is the offending upgrade.

http://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3035583

• Like 1

If you've got Win7 Enterprise running  I don't think you'll be on the radar for the free upgrade. MS will assume you'll be part of an enterprise licensing agreement and you'll upgrade in about 5yr.

If you've got Win7 Enterprise running  I don't think you'll be on the radar for the free upgrade. MS will assume you'll be part of an enterprise licensing agreement and you'll upgrade in about 5yr.

That's what I assumed! It doesn't make much difference to us, we're still considering our future OS options for our clients.

Got the message last night and registered.

Again just hoping I'll be able to do a fresh install somehow. Otherwise I'll have to clone the existing drive to an SSD and upgrade that.

Win8 was very good under the surface, Win10 should build on that with a better interface.

Microsoft can do things very well when they stick to making thing work. It's bells and whistles they're **** at.

That is going to be my plan for the "upgrade" - try to do a clean install on a fresh SSD.

Like you I think Win 8 was actually pretty good under the hood, it was just that the interface sucked if you didn't have a touchscreen or tablet. Even before Win 8.1, I had it looking and feeling like Win 7  but on steroids (Classic shell to give the win 7 feel on top).

Not seen Win 10 up close and personal but if the interface sucks again, I will be looking straight at Classic shell (or similar)

Like you I think Win 8 was actually pretty good under the hood, it was just that the interface sucked if you didn't have a touchscreen or tablet. Even before Win 8.1, I had it looking and feeling like Win 7  but on steroids (Classic shell to give the win 7 feel on top).

Surprisingly the interface sucks if you've got a touchscreen as well. It's like having two virtual OSs running at the same time and they can't decide between them which you should be using at any time. It's possibly even worse with touch since you can't throw your lot in with the Classic Shell

After trying a windows 8.1 Tablet I could actually see the point of Windows 8 RT. In that everything was touch enabled, there was no breakout to a desktop. Just a shame it didn't take off in terms of the apps.