What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

It does, but it also has a motor and two wheels. Same as my first moped as it happens.

Anyway, I'm thinking of it more like a two wheeled Tesla than a penny farthing. Up to 17mph anyway.

Sounds ace. I have ridden one of those things that assist your peddling with an electric motor n they are pretty good.

Just oiled the chain on the Triumph ready for a ride tomorrow, must ask how much to fit the scottoiler that I have at home!

Never fitted one myself but the VFR i used to have came with one on. Once it was set up it was pretty good. Just a little fiddly and trial n error to get right really... especially as the outside temperatures change the viscosity of the oil so much. Well worth having though! 

Never fitted one myself but the VFR i used to have came with one on. Once it was set up it was pretty good. Just a little fiddly and trial n error to get right really... especially as the outside temperatures change the viscosity of the oil so much. Well worth having though! 

Apparently they sell the oil in 2 temperature ranges now where previously it was only 1 so that may help in that respect ;-) 

• Like 1

Apparently they sell the oil in 2 temperature ranges now where previously it was only 1 so that may help in that respect ;-) 

Ah, maybe. I just bought some on ebay :D

I've still got most the bottle in the garage. You're very welcome to it. if a meet does come together remind me to fetch it :)

• Like 1

I stopped using the Scotoiler as it seemed to be lots of adjusting and never finding and ideal. I was recommended Castrol Chain Lube Racing which has been great, you don't need much to get a well lubricated chain that lasts. Not needed anything else since.

• Like 2

I stopped using the Scotoiler as it seemed to be lots of adjusting and never finding and ideal. I was recommended Castrol Chain Lube Racing which has been great, you don't need much to get a well lubricated chain that lasts. Not needed anything else since.

It's all about finding a product that works for you isnt it. 

Currently using the WD40 Chain Lube as it was recommended by the Aprilia Guru when i had the T. It's good stuff tbh. 

Unless your Chris and have shaftdrive... :D

• Like 1

It's allows good to find that right product. Someone on here recommended the AutoGlym Engine Degreaser. I've used plenty of others before but picked some of that stuff up to make up my 3 of 2 on Halfords cleaning products and amazed at how good it was.

• Like 2

It's allows good to find that right product. Someone on here recommended the AutoGlym Engine Degreaser. I've used plenty of others before but picked some of that stuff up to make up my 3 of 2 on Halfords cleaning products and amazed at how good it was.

yeah i've got that too... its pretty good as a light degreaser. 

Still using my mystery tub engine degreaser which is probably older than me as a full on degreaser. It's ace stuff. Laughs at chain lube n it just wipes off. 

One of these days i will read the name on the tub :D

• Like 1

Ah, maybe. I just bought some on ebay :D

I've still got most the bottle in the garage. You're very welcome to it. if a meet does come together remind me to fetch it :)

Thank you, that's very good of you.

I stopped using the Scotoiler as it seemed to be lots of adjusting and never finding and ideal. I was recommended Castrol Chain Lube Racing which has been great, you don't need much to get a well lubricated chain that lasts. Not needed anything else since.

I agree that you need to keep an eye on them however they do what it says on the tin and remove the chore of using chain lube.

My main reason for looking to get one fitted is I've had it for years its BNIB as I didn't get round to fitting it on the Street Triple that I had.

Funnily enough I was going to ask what the "go to" chain lube was and I've got 2 suggestions already ;) the Sprint Owners Manual recommends "Mobil Chain Spray" although I've not seen that anywhere so far, I used some Silkolene Chain Lube that I found in the garage today just to get something on there, will probably go to a branch of J and S Accessories or Infinity Motorcycles whilst I'm out and about over the next day or so.

Edited by Prykey

Have a look at the Wurth dry lube as that's supposed to be the dogs

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/29605

or get a GS LOL.....

Cheers, that gets a lot of thumbs up from users, and Ride are pretty good at testing products to, cheers :)

I've found using a chain wax to be less hassle than the Scotoiler. Getting the Scotoiler set up after cleaning up the fling off, then not getting enough because the temps had dropped. Having two oil grades now might be better but you still have to drain and change the oil over.

Try a good chain lubrication before you invest in a Scotoiler although you shouldn't need to lubricate a new chain as the rollers will still be packed with grease.

• Like 1

Fabs, hope you enjoy Squires. It's my loca meetl, about 12 miles away. I would have joined you there today as the sun is out and it looks a great day but I'm having a few days away for the wife's birthday.

Fabs, hope you enjoy Squires. It's my loca meetl, about 12 miles away. I would have joined you there today as the sun is out and it looks a great day but I'm having a few days away for the wife's birthday.

Cheers. Ah didnt realise it was so local to you. Shame. Maybe next time eh!

Enjoy your time away!

Have a look at the Wurth dry lube as that's supposed to be the dogs

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/29605

or get a GS LOL.....

It is until you ride in heavy rain ☔️

The other downside is when touring, you have to carry a tin with you.

Scottoiler... fill it and forget.

I wanted to fit one on the NC but there's no vacuum take off and I'm not paying £200+ for the electronic version

It is until you ride in heavy rain ☔️

The other downside is when touring, you have to carry a tin with you.

Scottoiler... fill it and forget.

I wanted to fit one on the NC but there's no vacuum take off and I'm not paying £200+ for the electronic version

I dont think Chris forgot his when it spewed all the oil over his back tyre though :D :D. 

• Like 1

I have to say that I've had them fitted to all but 2 of the bikes I've had that have been chain driven and I've never had one dump the lube all over the rear tyre, however you do have to fiddle with them when the weather gets hot (that means the 10-days we get in the UK) other than that they are pretty much fill it and forget it in my experience.

However you still need to take a refill with you if you only have the standard reservoir and you are doing a long tour.

• Like 1

Went out yesterday for about five hours and was able to try out my replacement heated grips (the RH grip wires broke on the last set that I had for 10/11 years) and very toasty they were. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I dont think Chris forgot his when it spewed all the oil over his back tyre though :D :D.

Well, there is that.!

I've found an electronic job for the NC.

A PD oiler, kind of a mini Scottoiler but hopefully without the drawbacks.

And only £80 rather than the £200 I'd need to spend on the electronic Scottoiler.

Time will tell I guess.

Well not strictly today but rode from the midlands to the Swiss border on Sunday. Broke the journey in London sat night to get an early shuttle Sunday am.

Home to hotel was 640 miles, thick fog on the m25 and Calais but otherwise dry and the last 100 mikes of a roads like an empty race track being Sunday.

The xr was staggeringly good and no comfort issues. New roadtec 01 tyres absolutely superb.

Done another 200 or so miles here in absolutely disgusting rain.

The driving and roads here are in a different league to the UK, with the exception of tar overbanding on the motorway.

• Like 1

I have to say that I've had them fitted to all but 2 of the bikes I've had that have been chain driven and I've never had one dump the lube all over the rear tyre, however you do have to fiddle with them when the weather gets hot (that means the 10-days we get in the UK) other than that they are pretty much fill it and forget it in my experience.

However you still need to take a refill with you if you only have the standard reservoir and you are doing a long tour.

Neither had I up to that point.  Mine was fitted by the garage and worked ok and never gave me any problems until I was riding around Cadwell Park as part of the instruction team for track days being run by Roger Burnett and Ride magazine.  I was part of the road instruction team and was being shown around the circuit for when I had to take my pupils around it later in the day.  I checked the back tyre to see if I had gone further over than on my normal road use and found it to be covered in oil.  Good job I had stopped and luckily there didn't appear to be any on the track.  I did have one fitted on my second VFR and it NEVER worked properly from the day it was fitted.  Maybe I had bad luck with them but it certainly out me off them and to be fair they don't oil all of the chain anyway so you still need to do it by hand if you want to do it properly.

Having said all of that I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to have one fitted but would advise caution in that they can be problematic and do not oil both sides of the chain.  I have a Triumph Explorer now so don't have the problem. :clap:

• Like 1

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of the dual injector add on to ensure that both sides of the chain are lubricated, the PD Oiler gets some good press, however the oiling wick doesn't get an overall thumbs up so most users end up with a hybrid using the reservoir, pump and timer of the PD Oiler (its electric) and the oil delivery system of the Scottoiler either single or dual injector.

I'm slightly committed as I already have the Scottoiler "in stock" so will only be paying for the Dual Injector add on which is about £26 the PD Oiler kit is £81.50 including oil.

Totally agree either belt drive or shaft drive are far less hassle. 

Oh and in line with the thread I had the 1st Service carried out today at 501-miles :)