mixing petrol and oil

D15VRS

I use a Gardening equipment that I have to pre mix Oil and Petrol, I have a mixing bottle that takes away all the guess work. I would like to collect views on the mixing procedure, I have always used 2 Stroke Oil but a Guy at work tells me to use Cooking Oil, ie Sun Flower, Crisp and Dry. What are your views on this practice, will it damage my Tools or work as well as. Thank You Chris.

My cost vs risk intuition says not to use cooking oil.

I have absolutely no expert knowledge or sources of information to support my unfounded opinion however.

• Like 1

Given that 2 stroke oils main job is to lubricate the internal piston bore, rings, piston etc. while running, then I wouldn't think that vegetable oil is going to be stable enough at high temperatures and revolutions to protect properly. If the bloke at work does it then I'd let him get on with it. I also use 2 stroke fuel transfer pumps etc. and the small amount of 2 stroke oil I use a year isn't going to break the bank at all. And it'll mean the engines are properly protected.,

• Like 1

Thanks for that, the Guy at work seemed adamant that there is no risk, So I opted to consult hive of all Knowledge, the good members of Briskoda.

• Like 1

Do not rely on the guy at work for anything other than retrieving food (which should arrive in sealed packets). Generally, mineral and organic fuels and oils do not mix well.

If he speaks again, carry a tea spoon and dink him on the forehead with it if he says something stupid.

J.

• Like 2

I seem to remember on our works training courses on portable 2 stroke kit ,that we were taught emphatically that ONLY 2 STROKE oil should be used. Anything else could ( and probably would) damage the engine.

Given that 2 stroke oils main job is to lubricate the internal piston bore, rings, piston etc. while running, then I wouldn't think that vegetable oil is going to be stable enough at high temperatures and revolutions to protect properly. If the bloke at work does it then I'd let him get on with it. I also use 2 stroke fuel transfer pumps etc. and the small amount of 2 stroke oil I use a year isn't going to break the bank at all. And it'll mean the engines are properly protected.,

2-stroke oil also lubricates the big-end and little-end bearings, and probably the main bearings as well.  I cannot imagine cooking oil would be up to the task.  For the small annual cost of using proper 2-stroke oil, I wouldn't risk anything else.

• Like 1

He may be adament, and may think his tools are running really well but odds are they are internally dyimg a little bit with every use.

he most likely got the idea from the fact that diesels can be run on veg oil, doesnt understand the purpose of the 2 stroke oil and so have come up with "a great idea". His stuff is probably revving way harder than it should be which may make usimg them quite easy but its a baaaad idea long term

As others, the oil in a petroil mix is lubricating oil, not fuel oil (although some of it does burn, hence the nickname "2-smoke engine").

Best practice is to actually mix the quantity you need when you need to refill the vehicle/appliance tank, since the oil is higher specific gravity than the petrol and they will separate if you try and store them in bulk.

Even the famous "Castrol R" castor oil was a specific lubricating oil, not a cooking or fuel oil.

• Like 1

Even the famous "Castrol R" castor oil was a specific lubricating oil, not a cooking or fuel oil.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm............. Castrol R

Now, shall I put a dash of Castrol R into the fuel tank of my 4-stroke lawn mower?  :sun:

How much is 2 stroke oil vs new equipment.

I'd stick with the proper stuff.

Says the man that runs his mower on super unleaded.

Given the cost vs (potential) damage of running with anything other than the recommended oil, I would definitely use the 2 stroke.

2 stroke oil @ approx £4.00 - costs pennies when diluted and is fit for purpose.

cooking oil @ approx £1.00 - doesn't cost that much less when diluted and is not fit for purpose. When the engine blows due to lack of proper lubrication, the manufacturer/ mechanic will walk away laughing leaving you with a pile of scrap as the bearings will be shot, the pistons will more than likely score the cylinder, the fuel will probably not burn at the correct temperature potentially damaging the piston/rings/head.

So save £3.00 every 50 (or so) tanks or potentially blow an engine worth £75-100??? I know which option I would take

Cooking oil might fry your engine, then your equipment would have had it's chips........ I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

Cooking oil might fry your engine, then your equipment would have had it's chips........ I'll get my coat.

Close the door on your way out thanks! The hinges need some oil though - wonder what's the best kind...

• Like 1

Close the door on your way out thanks! The hinges need some oil though - wonder what's the best kind...

I hear coconut oil is all the rage at the moment.. its solid in the tub but melts in your hands.. so you waork it into hard to reach places in liquid foem the it will harden up like grease...

the missus used as stretch mark moisturiser while pregnant.. it worked tbf..

i bought a tub of it in tesco one day, and a week later it was in "promotion baskets" all over the ahop, at the same price..

But wouldn't coconut oil make my chainsaw rev it's nuts off................ Oi! Who's nicked my coat.

How much is 2 stroke oil vs new equipment.

I'd stick with the proper stuff.

Says the man that runs his mower on super unleaded.

I was considering getting 5l of 98 RON V-Power shizzle for our mower :D

• Like 1

I was considering getting 5l of 98 RON V-Power shizzle for our mower :D

Honda Izzy going in for Shark remap next week.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1