Locking Keys in boot

As per title has anyone done this? And if so how did you get round the situation? As there is a boot only button on the fob I'm sure people could/have been caught out.

Easily done, I did it, but fortunately outside the house. A work colleague has done it, but he was 200 odd miles from home. In his case one rather expensive train trip later to pick up spare keys after the AA couldn't get into his car without risking damage.

Last year wife locked the keys in the boot of our 2012 Octavia Hatchback. I called out Skoda Assist they (the AA) came out promptly. They could have prised a rear door sufficiently to get a hook in to unlatch and drop the back of the rear seat down and thus into the boot. However, the boot was full and reaching the keys - at the back of the boot would have been impossible.

The final outcome was that they either break a window or I do a 200 mile round trip to get my spare key from home - I chose the latter option! I suspect that some damage would have been done had they prised a sufficient gap between the rear door and car body, so going home to pick up the keys was probably the best answer to my problem.

Sorry that I couldn't be of help but I'm told that modern cars are very difficult to break into.

Regards

G

I attended a locksmith course two years ago with one of the big players in the South of England. The instructor was their 'go to guy' when it came to getting into vehicles.

It took him initially about 20 minutes to get into a MkI Octavia, but he soon reduced this to about 30 seconds once he got the knack.

He tried for nearly an hour to get into my MkII Octavia Scout without success. He even tried a brand new piece of kit that he had been using to get into various top end cars. Still no joy.

According to the survilence camera at the skoda dealer one guy manage to open 23 cars in 5 hours by unhatching front driver window without breaking or scratching the cars and got away with 8pcs amundsen and 11 columbus units, (octavia 5e)

Is this with all other doors locked? If not, theres an access via the rear bench armrests.... but Im guessing you just mean with only the boot unlocked...

As a matter of course, I always unlock by doing the full unlock button clicks...

Cheers for the replies, I had my settings to lock/unlock just the drivers door. Funnily enough since reading this and thinking about it a little more I've set it to open everything every time!

I nearly done it many times as had a habit of leaving keys on boot floor when just getting stuff out boot. Never actually did it though, Thankfully. The system in my merc is clever enough to not lock the keys in side the car unless it detects a second key outside the car, tried this by accident first day I got it and yep it does. (Not exactly wise as I'm sure insurance would be void!)

• Like 1

I locked main key in boot after opening boot only & not doing usual of key in pocket (2 crying, raining, needed to get pushchair back into boot as just done loan dealer car exchange). Thought all was well as dealer has just also reprogrammed spare key - zapped & nothing happened! I had to use spare as 'key' to enter car drivers door, while alarm going off, climb over the rear seats & pushchair (so lucky I didn't pull the cover over!) & rescue key. That wasn't stressful, will never lock key in boot again.....

Anyone tried the old trick of phoning home and getting your other half to press the unlock button on the spare key fob while you stand next to the car with your phone?

Anyone tried the old trick of phoning home and getting your other half to press the unlock button on the spare key fob while you stand next to the car with your phone?

Seriously??

Dim and distant chance in the old days when they were ultrasonic, no chance now they use radio.

I have a spare profile key under the car. You'd need a jack and to know exactly where to look to find it, and even then, it's not coded to the alarm or immobiliser. Then there's a full spare inside, but you'd have to take the interior out to find it if you didn't know where it was.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post as it might be useful to someone in future. I managed to lock both keys in the boot of my week old Scout in a hotel car park near Canterbury last Thursday night. Skoda Assistance said the nearest technician was in Croydon, but he would come out to me at 0730. At 0835 he rang to say he was in the car park and by 0850 he had picked the lock and I was on my way. To say I was impressed is an understatement.

Pretty sure there's a rear lid delay lock activation of about 30 seconds function. Can be done at the dealer's. So when you shut the boot it will not lock for 30 seconds giving enough time to realise what you have done. Irrc car's 2013 onwards. I also believe this function is supposed to be told to buyer's by the salesman. I very much doubt that this advice is being told to customers. Look in owner's manual read lid lock delay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk