Amundsen Sat Nav how to input destination by post code?

still trying to find my way around the IFE on my new Octy.

How do you enter a destination using the post code? I can't find it in the manual or the screen

Many thanks in advance

Thanks for the information, i to could not find the postcode option....  Why its not set up like a tomtom or garmin with postcode as main option is crazy...

It is a little unintutive in that you have to press the town option first, before the postcode pops up. I remember a while back the Octavia 3 was on a long-term test (Auto-Express I think) who spent weeks complaining the postcode option wasn't there - which devalued my opinion of his test - I mean, it's not that hard to work it out given weeks to do so...

The Amundsen sat nav in my opinion should be standard fit (from what I read I believe it now is on the vrs)

I got it free on my vrs but had I paid £700+ for it I wouldn't be happy.

It's slow, unintuitive and looks like a well out of date product.

The system in my wife's old seat Leon (63 plate) before she changed it was loads better.

She now has a qashqai and the standard system in that is a million times better than the Amundsen in my humble opinion.

Despite getting the Amundsen with my SE-L, whenever it arrives, I'll still be using my phone with NavMii, this accepts what 3 words addressing (here for info).

You wont get a more precise location.

Yes its a bit fiddly, but once you get the hang of it, it is extremely useful finding sites that do not have any sort of address, like WWI sites of interest in Belgium - which we went to recently.

If I can get smartlink to work then that will be even better as I'll then be able to use the app on the Amundsen screen... 

Any car makers built in Sat Nav is always gonna be worst then a TomTom or Garmin because they're not allowed to put in speed camara locations.

Doesn't matter how/easy/well they work the bottom line is they ain't gonna be as good. Lets be honest, they're for show aren't they, yes you can get from A to B with one but, anyone in the car at the time of setup/use is gonna be LESS than impressed and don't even start me on the pronunciation cos its the full muslim yeah, shiite !

Any car makers built in Sat Nav is always gonna be worst then a TomTom or Garmin because they're not allowed to put in speed camara locations.

Doesn't matter how/easy/well they work the bottom line is they ain't gonna be as good. Lets be honest, they're for show aren't they, yes you can get from A to B with one but, anyone in the car at the time of setup/use is gonna be LESS than impressed and don't even start me on the pronunciation cos its the full muslim yeah, shiite !

My previous 2009 Renault Laguna Carminat System had the speed camera locations with audio warning included, something the Columbus doesn't do even when the speed camera locations are added manually via POI.

Post Code Navigation on Amundsen 2

1: Start New destination

2: tap Town/City

3: then tap "ptcd " tucked away in the bottom left corner - you're getting there!.

4: Wait for it - you can't just tap in the post code,

5: Change the keypad from numbers to letters (bit stupid as all UK PC start with letters)

5: Enter the initial letter(s)

6: Change the keypad to numbers

7: Enter the initial number(s)

8: Change Keypad to letters

9: enter a space

10: Change Keypad back to numbers

11: Enter second number

12: Change keypad back to letters

13: Enter final letters

14: Tap the destination offered (if you managed to get that far before putting your fist through the screen!!!

******. The above will not allow you to enter a house number, so.......

When entering the postcode only enter 5 or 6 letters / numbers.

Leave the last 1 or 2 then press "Next" or "OK". You can then enter the street and number.

• Like 2

My previous 2009 Renault Laguna Carminat System had the speed camera locations with audio warning included, something the Columbus doesn't do even when the speed camera locations are added manually via POI.

Not sure exactly when it became law but, I can only presume it was aftter 2009 that car manufacturers were not allowed to have speed camera locations.

3: then tap "ptcd " tucked away in the bottom left corner - you're getting there!.

5: Change the keypad from numbers to letters (bit stupid as all UK PC start with letters)

14: Tap the destination offered (if you managed to get that far before putting your fist through the screen!!!

Leave the last 1 or 2 then press "Next" or "OK". You can then enter the street and number.

Brilliant, I passed this onto my Brother and it works a treat thank you :thumbup:

It means steps 8 and 10 also shouldn't be needed. Makes it easier to enter postcodes on my phone when I remember to miss out the space.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this.

I've just received my MY16 VRS and the steps above are correct. Step 9 is needed as the keypad is greyed out after entering the first half of the postcode.

It's poor design but it is what it is.

• Like 1

I've given up actually entering addresses in the car.  Too cumbersome.

I find it much easier to enter the address as a contact in my gmail, normally on my laptop/desktop the day before a planned trip.  This then gets synced to the car via my phone, and can be pulled up easily, even (dare I say it) using voice control. 

You just need to check that gmail/google contacts has put the postcode in the correct field, or else Amundsen gets confused.

• 1 month later...

Found the above info really useful after the 'Boss' had borrowed the car for the Sat Nav and entered where she needed to go, when it came time for me to find somewhere the PTCD button had disappearred.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found a short-cut (as I am too old to spend all day messing with newfangled devices).

At pt.7, touch small icon near top middle of screen with two small lines and two stars.

You will be presented with a list of all postcodes with your prefix, example SE4xxx.

Scroll to find the exact postcode you require using the right control knob or slider on screen - touch and you are done.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Hi, We have just bought a new Dec 2015 Yeti L&K Outdoor 4x4 which has Amundsen Navigation but I can see no small button on the address input screen so to get to postcode input which is infuriating. Does anyone have any ideas please. As this topic seems to relate to the Octavia maybe I should have started a new one but as we only joined 10 mins ago we couldn't seem to see how to do that.

Other than the postcode input issue we love the new Yeti as it's ideal for our two greyhounds (we have bought firm density foam to cover the back with the seats folded plus the Amundsen system links to my IPod 5 much better than our 2013 5 series. We have also bought winter tyres Nokian WR D4 which were recommended and their great in the wet but likely now we won't get any snow.

Thanks,

K and K

We have just bought a new Dec 2015 Yeti L&K Outdoor 4x4 which has Amundsen Navigation but I can see no small button on the address input screen so to get to postcode input which is infuriating. Does anyone have any ideas please.

I think you will find that the Amundsen fitted in the Yeti is similar only in name to that in the Octavia 3...

• 2 months later...

Found the answer on Amundsen in my MK3 (built aug 2014) - Change the country from 'United Kingdom' to 'England' and PCDE button becomes visible on the address screen