The 280PS Thread

On 4/27/2017 at 16:48, Seahawk92 said:

Found the problem for the launch control. ESC shouldn't be off, instead ESC Spor-mod from the menu. Then hard brake, ful, gas and let it go. Holly cow how fast this is!!!

Can you make it go past 80 ? :tongueout:

Edited by toni8b

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads-up on the DSG mount Dogbone insert that has been mentioned in other places like the 220 thread.

If you're contemplating it then you need the Version 1, not the Version 2 mentioned elsewhere. This is my mounting so I assume it'll be the same for all 280.

IMG_0433.thumb.jpg.7d0712cd7cd13d0ffb539764120c88d1.jpg

From the AwesomeGTI web site...

untitled-1__32236.1449614699_1280_1280.jpg.daeca7ba911a14b8fd65902e1eb4f8a6.jpg

For those who are wondering WTF, it's an insert that stops the DSG mount causing 'clunking' on gear changes induced by tiny movement of the gearbox.

I've had no problem with the DSG mount on mine despite upping the power so I haven't fitted one myself yet but may do so as a 'just in case' precaution.

It is well worth checking which mount you have then, I know Alex has one of the 1st S3s and mine was built in November 2015, this is my mount (Version 2)

IMG_2204%20copy_zpsbdjpiyzy.jpg

The difference may be because we have different engines (mine is a 190 TDi) or maybe they were changed just before November??

• Like 1

We just ordered our 280 today.

Lava (Petrol) Blue Combi, with Modus rims, in the Style trim. I think that's comparable too the UK's SEL?

And then, of course, a host of other options, such as DCC, the new Columbus Unit, ACC, Alcantara/Leather interior, Smart Light Assist,...

Edited by kriva

@Gizmo68 - time for me to eat humble pie. :sadsmile: You were right on the money about the DSG Dogbone Mount insert, if not the actual version.

I'd assumed the feeling of the DSG snatching gears after fitting the RaceChip Ultimate, and then only when under the harshest acceleration, wasn't related to the same thing you described after remapping your 190.

I finally got around to ordering the correct version of the DSG Dogbone Mount Insert and fitted it today and I was proved wrong (not the first time that's ever happened!).

£50 for a small bit of aluminium, then 5 minutes with a 21mm socket and it was job done. Would have been quicker but I had to find a socket that would fit inside the billet.

IMG_3033.thumb.JPG.3e6bdfff0c1df18a72c76121b3ea9aae.JPG

I headed for the derestricted roads of the countryside to try it out but first I had to negotiate the urban 20, 30 and 40 limits. From the start I thought it was a placebo effect that driving 'normally' seemed much smoother. It then dawned on me that I hadn't actually heard or felt a single gear change and I had to regularly check the maxi dot to see it indicate the gear changes.

On the thankfully almost empty country roads I put it to the real test. Kick Down (still amazed how it gets from 30 to 100 mph in just a couple of seconds), Launch Control, rapidly flicking between drive/sport/manual - quite simply I totally abused the DSG and never once did it kick, clunk, snatch or fart. It remained consistently smooth as silk.

From the outset I was sceptical and wasn't expecting much but it's proven to be the second best thing I've fitted to the car (the RaceChip Response Control still sits at the top of that list). I can highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Has anyone used an 280 on a racing circuit (tarmac) for more than one lap?

I have done 2500 km run-in for my 280 and i'm planning to take one hour ticket to race-track.

I'm a bit concerned how brakes and other parts like that event?

Are you serious?

Taking a large, relatively heavy car like the Superb on a track sounds like complete madness. It would feel and behave like a barge because that is what it is. You, the driver, would be thrown around in the seat, hanging on as best you could; a perfect recipe for losing control. Meanwhile, all the mechanical bits would take a huge beating. What on earth is the point?

Just because it’s a fast road car doesn’t mean it would or could be any good on a track. Quite the opposite: it would be crap. That even goes for most so-called ‘sports cars’, never mind big cars like this.

Do yourself a favour: spend the money on track time in a made-for-purpose vehicle.

This had to be joke…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

Are you serious?

Taking a large, relatively heavy car like the Superb on a track sounds like complete madness. It would feel and behave like a barge because that is what it is. You, the driver, would be thrown around in the seat, hanging on as best you could; a perfect recipe for losing control. Meanwhile, all the mechanical bits would take a huge beating. What on earth is the point?

Just because it’s a fast road car doesn’t mean it would or could be any good on a track. Quite the opposite: it would be crap. That even goes for most so-called ‘sports cars’, never mind big cars like this.

Do yourself a favour: spend the money on track time in a made-for-purpose vehicle.

This had to be joke…

Let's agree to disagree on this one. With a set of lowering springs and a set of anti-roll bars and an engine and gearbox mount I find it works quite well. If you want to take it a step further add some coilovers and I do not see why it will not be as good as any other super saloon. It is lighter than many of them and it has 4wd that helps in the damp.

Edited by superbtte

Yeah, alright, if you’re going to heavily modify it for track use, that might be a different matter.

However, don’t forget to ditch the standard seats, fit a proper racing seat with a full harness to match. Among other things, that is because if the driver isn’t strapped in hard – effectively becoming physically part of the car – it’s absolutely impossible to drive it well. You’d be a danger to yourself and others.

While you’re at it, you’d better install a cage for safety and stiffness.

Again, what is the point? All that money out the window when so much more satisfaction can be had with a made-for-purpose vehicle.

3 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

Yeah, alright, if you’re going to heavily modify it for track use, that might be a different matter.

However, don’t forget to ditch the standard seats, fit a proper racing seat with a full harness to match. Among other things, that is because if the driver isn’t strapped in hard – effectively becoming physically part of the car – it’s absolutely impossible to drive it well. You’d be a danger to yourself and others.

While you’re at it, you’d better install a cage for safety and stiffness.

Again, what is the point? All that money out the window when so much more satisfaction can be had with a made-for-purpose vehicle.

Just for reference to Sportline users who already have bucket seats (even though there are cheap solutions for normal seats users), the lowering springs, anti roll bars and a basic mount cost around £800 installed so I do not see these as heavy/expensive mods.  These improved handling dramatically. For reference I owned and used on the track many other cars in the past (including modified BMW's, Subarus, Hondas and many more) so I do have a point of reference.

I will now go and post on other threads :) and leave other people offer their input based on their experience on this matter. 

• Like 1

A long long time ago, when i was an amateur racer, with specially designed race-car (Super 1600 with about 150PS engine), i had opportunity to drive on that same track, standard VW Bora (with strongest engine what was also about 150PS). I must say that it was not the most horrible thing to drive. Only thing you can't do with it, is to apply corrections while cornering as car will start shaking (suspension is not lowered and limited). Other issue was, that having helmet on i didn't hear anything and was constantly running into revolution limiter with manual gearbox. This quite new Bora was used as a safety car and got quite heavy load for two days. As it was not my car, then i dont have any information of what was left from all then components.

So my initital question was just that, has anybody with "same stupid ideas" done something similar.

And while driving on a race-circuit, there is always possibility to drive carefully, not trying to touch all limits.

4 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

it’s absolutely impossible to drive it well. You’d be a danger to yourself and others.

Speak for yourself... :D What's the difference between driving a derestricted country road at around three figures and driving on a track day at similar speeds? 

The world of difference!

You can drive down the autobahn as fast as you like, in pretty much a straight line, and the worst you’re likely to have to do is brake very hard while maintaining that straight line.

On a (dry) track it’s full throttle (where you’re actually unlikely to reach autobahn speeds) until the braking point; brake as hard as possible, turn in while trying to find and hold to the limits of grip and floor it as you try to clip the apex, all while trying to keep control of a car that will feel like jelly and your body is itself all over the place.

No fun, unrewarding and ultimately just plain frightening and dangerous. Do all the above in a vehicle made for purpose, however, and it’s the most pleasure you’ll have outside the bedroom.

So again, what’s the bl**dy point? OK, the OP now suggests more of a cruise around the track. Do you need a track for that?

I actually think both arguments are right (how is that for fence sitting?).

Ideally you would go on a track with a suitable vehicle, albeit a Lotus or modified road vehicle for greatest satisfaction.

The OP has a vehicle that offers what would have been considered 'supercar' specification not so many years back.

Driving the car to its limits on public roads is simply irresponsible. I know too many instances of innocents being killed by such irresponsibility.

The OP is being totally responsible in wanting to go to a racetrack to explore the potential of the vehicle in a relatively safe environment. Why would you criticise that.

There are two drives from the TopGear track that stand out in my mind. The totally stupid balls-out approach by Tom Cruise and the contrasting lap by Lewis Hamilton on the sopping wet track which looked like a gentle cruise in the country yet was almost as fast as fellow F1 stars on a dry circuit.

On 2017-6-3 at 03:56, BillyJim said:

@Gizmo68 - time for me to eat humble pie. :sadsmile: You were right on the money about the DSG Dogbone Mount insert, if not the actual version.

I'd assumed the feeling of the DSG snatching gears after fitting the RaceChip Ultimate, and then only when under the harshest acceleration, wasn't related to the same thing you described after remapping your 190.

I finally got around to ordering the correct version of the DSG Dogbone Mount Insert and fitted it today and I was proved wrong (not the first time that's ever happened!).

£50 for a small bit of aluminium, then 5 minutes with a 21mm socket and it was job done. Would have been quicker but I had to find a socket that would fit inside the billet.

IMG_3033.thumb.JPG.3e6bdfff0c1df18a72c76121b3ea9aae.JPG

I headed for the derestricted roads of the countryside to try it out but first I had to negotiate the urban 20, 30 and 40 limits. From the start I thought it was a placebo effect that driving 'normally' seemed much smoother. It then dawned on me that I hadn't actually heard or felt a single gear change and I had to regularly check the maxi dot to see it indicate the gear changes.

On the thankfully almost empty country roads I put it to the real test. Kick Down (still amazed how it gets from 30 to 100 mph in just a couple of seconds), Launch Control, rapidly flicking between drive/sport/manual - quite simply I totally abused the DSG and never once did it kick, clunk, snatch or fart. It remained consistently smooth as silk.

From the outset I was sceptical and wasn't expecting much but it's proven to be the second best thing I've fitted to the car (the RaceChip Response Control still sits at the top of that list). I can highly recommend it.

So which version of the dogbone mount should we get for the 280? Also what is the torque spec for the bolt?

On 06/06/2017 at 01:28, cyberkank said:

So which version of the dogbone mount should we get for the 280?

My own MY2016 (Sep 2015) was version 1. Check yours before ordering one. I slid a camera phone underneath from the front of the car.

On 06/06/2017 at 01:28, cyberkank said:

Also what is the torque spec for the bolt?

100 Nm 130 Nm.

Edited by BillyJim