The 280PS Thread

20 hours ago, hpoom said:

Just fitted my XLR, the same as @philpix A huge improvement. The car is now how it should have been when it left the factory. I mounted it the same as Phil but I am sure I will move it as I don't like it in that box. Just need to take a look and work out where to route the cable.

One question, the light stays on when the ignition is off. I have asked Phil if his does the same as only person I know with an XLR, but does the older Throttle Response also keep the light on, does it not power off when the car is off?

Just fitted my XLR, the same as @philpix A huge improvement. The car is now how it should have been when it left the factory. I mounted it the same as Phil but I am sure I will move it as I don't like it in that box. Just need to take a look and work out where to route the cable.

One question, the light stays on when the ignition is off. I have asked Phil if his does the same as only person I know with an XLR, but does the older Throttle Response also keep the light on, does it not power off when the car is off?

The light on the XLR controller stays on for about a minute then goes out. Hope that helps @hpoom

@U241170 I think the first question that needs asking is: do pedal mods actually improve anything or they are just workarounds/gimmicks for people with lady feet?

Warranty-wise I think what should a potential high heels wearing customer should have in mind is: depends on how hard you exert your car. You can run it hard on a race track without any pedal mods and then things can break down (most warranties have "no racing" clauses) or you can grandma-like drive with a pedal mod and not do any racing, so nothing breaks down for 100.000km ...

21 hours ago, BillyJim said:

@U241170 I can't give you a definitive answer. As you state that you're 'very concerned' you should put that question to your dealer rather than a forum of owners. After all, if you needed to make a warranty claim it would be the dealer sorting it, not us.

Mine came about as a result of a conversation with my dealer about chipping and warranty which led to my fitting a tuning box (suggested by dealer) and the Throttle Response.
The car has been back to the dealer for servicing with both fitted and in plain view** and it didn't raise any questions, but then again I wasn't having any warranty work done.

** My Throttle Response controller was originally mounted next to the Columbus as shown below and I only recently moved it to the cubbyhole, not to hide it but rather because during the recent {and brief} warm weather the glue of the velcro pad had become soft and was no longer supporting the weight of the unit.

IMG_0415.jpg.2c321cce62ea4242b9e24cc8713d6fc3.jpg

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is that any dealer from RO will certainly say that mounting a peddle box will void the warranty. At least this is my previous experience. Anything that is not factory option or catalog accessory.
That is why I am asking if is traceable that this device was mounted on the car (similar to some tuning boxes or stuff like that, where ECU stores some information that such device was used), and most likely I will have to take it off when I go into service.
Now, i know that this is not the correct way or at least not the fair one, but my choices are:
- mount this peddle box and not tell to the dealer
- leave the car as it is
There isn't any other. 

@U241170 AFAIK the EPROM of the ECU only sets a tell-tale bit if it is reprogrammed, as is done when remapping. It does not do so if using a plug-in that merely alters the input from the sensors, but if you're going to lose sleep over it then you'd best leave it alone.

• Like 1

@U241170 FYI - I took my car back to the local dealer yesterday for its 2 year fixed service. As before I disabled the tuning box before I left home but then entirely forgot to disable the Throttle Response. On this occasion I did ask them to check a couple of things on warranty which they did. They made no mention about the tuning box being fitted and that's in plain view in the engine compartment, nor the fact that the Throttle Control was active on my preferred second highest setting!

As an aside I was given a fairly basic diesel Octavia combi courtesy car with 4k on the odometer. Not sure of the spec but there were three buttons and seven blanks!

It made a change from the usual Fabia. It was my first experience of driving an Octavia and my first thoughts were positive, considering I had been contemplating 'downsizing' from a Superb II to a 'sporty' Octavia VRs III until they announced the 280. Unfortunately I soon wished they'd given me a Fabia. The suspension in Normal mode felt like the springs were made of pig iron with even the slightest undulation in the road feeding through the seat to my spine. I didn't dare try the Sport mode. Getting back into my 280 could only be described as sheer bliss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BillyJim said:

@U241170 FYI - I took my car back to the local dealer yesterday for its 2 year fixed service. As before I disabled the tuning box before I left home but then entirely forgot to disable the Throttle Response. On this occasion I did ask them to check a couple of things on warranty which they did. They made no mention about the tuning box being fitted and that's in plain view in the engine compartment, nor the fact that the Throttle Control was active on my preferred second highest setting!

As an aside I was given a fairly basic diesel Octavia combi courtesy car with 4k on the odometer. Not sure of the spec but there were three buttons and seven blanks!

It made a change from the usual Fabia. It was my first experience of driving an Octavia and my first thoughts were positive, considering I had been contemplating 'downsizing' from a Superb II to a 'sporty' Octavia VRs III until they announced the 280. Unfortunately I soon wished they'd given me a Fabia. The suspension in Normal mode felt like the springs were made of pig iron with even the slightest undulation in the road feeding through the seat to my spine. I didn't dare try the Sport mode. Getting back into my 280 could only be described as sheer bliss.

:):):)

That's the big problem with torsion beam suspension on standard Octavia (except 4x4 i think and 1.8 TSI/ 2.0 TDI - 184 hp).

It is bad as hell.

That way why I purchased VRS last time, before this Superb.

Anyhow, thanks for your input. It is good to know at least for my inner peace. :)))

• Sad 1

After spending a week going through the different engines, options and colours, as well as wondering about keeping my 9yr old Octavia vRS, I have decided on joining the ranks of you all in buying the 280 Superb.   

I looked at other cars, BMW 3 series, merc, Audi, but to me, for the money they were not that great.  They were not much bigger than my Octavia, and more expensive than the superb. The two cars I really wanted to like were the Alfa Romeo Gulia and the Jag XE.  The Alfa I really like, but TBH it's smaller than I want, and I'd want the Quadrifoglio, which I can't afford.  A colleague of mine had a Jag XE as a loan car, and the boot and rear leg room were disappointing, plus I'd rather have a XF, which again is too much for the spec I would like.

I test drove the Kodiaq and I really liked it, but I did not like the feeling of sitting on the seat, rather than in it that you get from the superb.

The VW Golf was too much for so little space and spec, and the Leon was too small too, and I don't want a Mondeo, as only an idiot buys a mondeo in a private sale brand new.

So the Superb 280 in sportline spec it is. 

I've ordered it in Dragon skin green, and I'm planning on meeting up with Dproom to look at his, and while I think it is a nice colour, I'm not sure if it's me.  I keep looking at photos of it as I need it to grow on me, but the other choice of colours is not that inspiring, although as I said in the sportline colour thread, I think it looks the business in white and black.

I've ordered it with

Heated windscreen and washer jets

Canton sound system

Traffic sign recognition

front parking sensors

heated front seats.

door pocket bin.

If I change the colour and save money on the paint, i am tempted to add the DCC suspension, but I am not sure if it is worth the £750. Also I keep looking back to the wireless charging, but I know I don't need it as it would need to be plugged in anyway for android auto, and a USB charger is only £8 on amazon.

If the children were older I would have looked at the heated rear seats and the tri-zone climate, but they are in booster seats and would probably break the control of the tri-zone so I thought I'd leave them off.

I don't have a build week yet, but I should find out in a few days

Also I don't think that dragon green would really go with the wife's orange focus

20170807_065520.png.1bb85d63f38b3e2607cd36eab8f3a979.png

Edited by roo
  • Like 1

I've got the DCC suspension. I've tried all the settings. They do make the car respond differently, too. The sport setting really stiffens and smartens things up. But, I leave the setting in normal 99% of the time. This is a big, long car and you probably won't be throwing it around that much. When you need to pass someone, I'm sure you will appreciate the 280 ps. I'm a bit envious...

I hope you got the ACC. You will find that addictive.

The Dragon green: when you get it home, rub a couple coats of Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax on it. I'll bet you will love that colour.

Snaps, please. :)

Oh, yeah: I drove the Giulia twice and still bought the Sportline. No regrets, either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.08.2017 г. at 10:21, U241170 said:

That's the big problem with torsion beam suspension on standard Octavia (except 4x4 i think and 1.8 TSI/ 2.0 TDI - 184 hp).

It is bad as hell.

Can you please ellaborate this?

I was questioning myself what is the difference in real life usage.

Torsion beam, on short and from my knowledge:

- more simple and by this also cheaper in maintenance

- more robust, not that many bushes to exchange

- lighter than independent suspension

-less comfortable, and in the case of O3 I heard allot of complains regarding comfort especially for back passengers.

- control of the car is not the best at high speeds and especially  on bumpy roads.

In normal life and if you are driving in relatively good roads, I din't think you will be feeling to much of the downside.

If you push the car to the limit, you will feel that you loose grip on the rear easier.

• Like 1

Rattles from dash area... right side cubbyhole. Centre of dash area. Upper cubbyhole glasses holder area. Adjustable seatbelt mount areas. Exhaust shield type vibrations at certain rpm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Rattles from dash area... right side cubbyhole. Centre of dash area. Upper cubbyhole glasses holder area. Adjustable seatbelt mount areas. Exhaust shield type vibrations at certain rpm.

Hi Nick.

I'm surprised, my old2012 Superb 2 is still quiet & rattle-free.

ISTR tha t your car was one of the1st 280's, early builds do sometimes have quality problems. 

Cheers, DC

Hey DC ... My sleeping habits are getting close to yours lol ! No mine doesn't have all those :-) in fact I'm rattle free at the moment  !   Just mentioning ones I've heard of or ones I've managed to fix.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2017 at 00:37, Nick_H said:

Hey DC ... My sleeping habits are getting close to yours lol ! No mine doesn't have all those :-) in fact I'm rattle free at the moment  !   Just mentioning ones I've heard of or ones I've managed to fix.

That's good to know. Rattles can be hard to find.

I'd still like a 280 but I'm waiting for the old girl to stop being fun to drive.

What is annoying is that we don't use the Golf that much, it's a very nice cabin & the toys are great but it's noisy, not the engine / exhaust just too much noise from the back of the car.

I know that estate cars tend to be noisy, (try driving a  new Leon Cupra ST...)  but an A4 Avant does feel refined & quiet. Maybe Audi do spend more time on materials & developement?

Cheers, DC.

I will be soon joining the ranks.

Just signed for a 2 month old ex-management 280 with 4.4k  miles.

A couple of things dealer is sorting after my look and drive, then  hopefully by next weekend I will pick her up.

A 280 sportline hatchback in black magic, with heated screen and HBA ( I would have specced) heated rears (I wouldn't have).

A PITA colour to keep clean, and I am sure I may end up getting a pro detailer to sort any issues caused by the improper wash regime its no doubt been subjected to so far, although it didn't look too bad TBH.

But it just looks so good in black IMO, I decided to suffer the consequences !

Pics will be posted once I have her :) 

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Picking up my brand spankin'  Quartz Grey 280 Sportline, with pretty much every option ticked, tomorrow! 

The three month wait is nigh on over! 

Very. Excited...

Watch this space. 

• Like 1

I got bored the other night and couldn't sleep so armed with my VCDS cable and laptop I thought I'd give the VCDS acceleration measurement function a try.

I put it into launch control and the first thing I noticed was that the revs would not hold steady at 4k, instead it was gently swinging between 3k and 4k.

When I released the brake the car accelerated, activating the VCDS timer, but there was a noticeable hesitation before the car went truly ballistic.

VCDS recorded a 0-100 km/h of 5.3 seconds +/-0.12 which, to be honest, I thought was a little disappointing considering the tuning box was allegedly throwing an extra 70 horses into the mix.

The road where I ran the test was slightly undulating and I tried a second run in the opposite direction and that was a tad slower at 5.4 seconds.

While I sat pondering why launch control was misbehaving it occurred to me that the culprit might possibly be the Throttle Response so I turned it off and tried again in the original direction.

This time launch control behaved exactly as it should, holding the revs at a constant 4k and there was no perceived delay when I released the brake.

VCDS now recorded a 0-100 km/h of 4.8 seconds +/-0.10 which, beating 5 seconds, induced a big stupid grin that lasted all the way home!

The lesson here is;- If you want to play silly buggers with launch control and have any kind of throttle controller fitted - turn it off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have just found this engine in the range and interested in it to replace my 7yo VRS. What are the real world fuel consumption for this car? Going to be looking secondhand so how long has this engine been available so how old is the oldest which I hope will be reasonable money. Thinking about the Executive spec.