The 280PS Thread

I put a sodding ding in my wing!

Pulling out of Macca's after our first breakfast there since the day after my kid was born 18 months ago, got a full arm of lock to reverse out of the bay and nudged the pole that was right next to my front right tyre. Fortunately the blue paint on the pole rubbed off fine and it looks like with the ding fixed it'll be fine.

What a prat. First time I've ever interfered with anything in 15 years on the road, t least it wasn't serious.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, xman said:

As you have the L&K, didn't the Parking sensors scream at you and front or manoeuvre assist or whatever slam on the brakes?

If it's anything like mine then the sensors have been screaming for so long by that point I have already tuned them out:sadsmile:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

If it's anything like mine then the sensors have been screaming for so long by that point I have already tuned them out:sadsmile:.

So true! The parking sensors on my Superb are super sensitive that they scream constantly every time something comes near. Extremely difficult to judge how close I am to what, bad graphics too. My 9 year old Fabia gives a far calmer, clearer and progressive sequence of beeps and you instantly can judge the distance.

I too very often just cancel the Superb's screaming, its like the boy who cried wolf!

On 15/02/2019 at 00:55, xman said:

As you have the L&K, didn't the Parking sensors scream at you and front or manoeuvre assist or whatever slam on the brakes?

There may well have been screaming but I expect that anyway. It didn't stop me probably because it was so slow and so close. The car had probably not even moved 4 inches. 

Just my own brain melt. 

35 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

There may well have been screaming but I expect that anyway. It didn't stop me probably because it was so slow and so close. The car had probably not even moved 4 inches. 

Just my own brain melt. 

My only similar incident in a car with parking sensors (but no reverse camera) several years back was precisely because the sensors were going  crazy as far as half a meter from the closest object, and after a while I got used to it and knew I have a fair bit of margin even after the "highest alarm" sound. So effectively I was parking based on my own estimation whenever parking meant approaching something with less than 0.5m of clearence - which effectively turned the sensors useless.

I would expect on a modern car there is some adjustment as to how early/late the tone goes up? Either by in-car menu or VCDS?

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

My only similar incident in a car with parking sensors (but no reverse camera) several years back was precisely because the sensors were going  crazy as far as half a meter from the closest object, and after a while I got used to it and knew I have a fair bit of margin even after the "highest alarm" sound. So effectively I was parking based on my own estimation whenever parking meant approaching something with less than 0.5m of clearence - which effectively turned the sensors useless.

I would expect on a modern car there is some adjustment as to how early/late the tone goes up? Either by in-car menu or VCDS?

I don't know that there is but it would make sense. I think these go solid tone at 30cm, but it might be less. I seem to recall that you can have solid tone and still have bars left on the visual display.

22 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

I don't know that there is but it would make sense. I think these go solid tone at 30cm, but it might be less. I seem to recall that you can have solid tone and still have bars left on the visual display.

Sadly not, Mine shows the closest red bar when I'm at least 10cm from the obstacle (the wall I'm parallel to and have zero chance of hitting). It will have been in "stop now, you're going to hit something" alarm mode for at least 5 seconds prior to that. Sadly the side sensors are just too sensitive and it isn't possible to adjust the setting unfortunately. The front and back sensors are great - I just wish I could either vary the sensitivity of the side sensors or turn them off altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Clockworks said:

Swapped my 2015 Touareg for a 2016 L&K 280 yesterday. I think I'll be reading the manual for a few days to figure out how all the gadgets work.

Right pedal go

Left pedal go a bit less 

sorted. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Leccy said:

Right pedal go

Left pedal go a bit less 

sorted. 

Lol, that's how I drove it home from the dealer.  I thought that the steering felt a bit funny, like it was fighting me. Turns out Lane Assistant was switched on, and I didn't realise that it would actually try and steer the car for me. That's witchcraft to a relative oldie like me

15 hours ago, Leccy said:

Bit the Bullet and picked up my 2018 280 L&K hatch in black today.  15 years of car policy 150Bhp diesels.  What a world of difference. 

My main concern front end was to get over the economy and I did a lot of trawling on here , so thanks for the resource.  

Just to say for anyone in a similar position to me reading this wanting to have a bit of fun on the weekends but also needing to slog up and down the M1 my first run economy with ACC set at 70mph was 38.8mpg on 95ron (with a few quick darts up the stoney Middleton shortcut to surprise a 5 series and myself by booting it) 

Try 99 RON; more go, for more miles IME. 

The engine is tuned to run optimally on 98+ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Try 99 RON; more go, for more miles IME. 

The engine is tuned to run optimally on 98+ 

Second that. Tesco99 only 5p more. I don't know how one can get 38.8mpg at 70mph though. Mine must be broken or my foot might be :P

2 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Second that. Tesco99 only 5p more. I don't know how one can get 38.8mpg at 70mph though. Mine must be broken or my foot might be :P

I can get 40MPG with the ACC set to NSL on a 200 mile run.  Sometimes traffic conditions are just too busy to play silly bugg3ers!   Not to mention the amount of camera vans and unmarked cars on the A19, we even have one that works at night!  

I can also easily achieve sub 20 MPG  :D

I've noticed that vPower is now advertised as 99RON now (sure it was 98 before?).  Anyway my local Shell garage has also dropped the price quite a bit too; so if I'm not near a Tesco then filling up at Shell doesn't seem as bad as it was a few months ago. 

19 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

When I picked it up the previous 250miles showed 24.5mpg.

I set it to Eco because that really doesn’t matter for motorway cruising through stop start traffic. 

For full disclosure that 38.8 was measured on trip rather than old school 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I can get 40MPG with the ACC set to NSL on a 200 mile run.  Sometimes traffic conditions are just too busy to play silly bugg3ers!   Not to mention the amount of camera vans and unmarked cars on the A19, we even have one that works at night!  

I can also easily achieve sub 20 MPG  :D

I've noticed that vPower is now advertised as 99RON now (sure it was 98 before?).  Anyway my local Shell garage has also dropped the price quite a bit too; so if I'm not near a Tesco then filling up at Shell doesn't seem as bad as it was a few months ago. 

I also seem to remember vpower was 98ron ages ago . They are now 99. Unused to happily cruise at 70 or below on long journeys with my last car.

Nowadays it's just too tempting to 'do some overtakes' to keep myself awake 

7 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

It always was 5p per litre more but my last fill up was 8p per litre more.  

Have they changed something or should I go and complain to Tesco that they are breaking their own policy?

28 minutes ago, Bud said:

It always was 5p per litre more but my last fill up was 8p per litre more.  

Have they changed something or should I go and complain to Tesco that they are breaking their own policy?

Where was that? Always 5p more around my end of Essex. 

Aldershot, I will go back and check the difference and then query it with Tescos.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 13:01, Clockworks said:

Lol, that's how I drove it home from the dealer.  I thought that the steering felt a bit funny, like it was fighting me. Turns out Lane Assistant was switched on, and I didn't realise that it would actually try and steer the car for me. That's witchcraft to a relative oldie like me

did hear a story of a Volvo that nearly chucked itself off a mountain pass due to lane assist:o

Picked up my 272 Sportline Plus Kombi last weekend but its been at the detailers all week!  I had the paintwork ceramic coated with G-techniq  Serum Ultra, plus the alloys, suspension and interior protected. Mike at Minutia Detailing did a great job correcting all the minor flaws in the paint too and took some pictures for me - which I've added to the post. Now looking forward to actually getting to drive it!

What have they been doing needing it for a week? It looks very nice with the arty shots :thumbup: