Does this screen grab mean windows 10 is on my PC?

justinbarrow

Was cleaning up the PC ready for windows 10 and notice that there is a cab file on my computer listed as Windows 10 which was created yesterday, Is this the download ready to be installed, I have attached a screen grab file to show what I mean.

Wonder if its going to be installed in stages as it must create a massive resource hog on Microsoft`s servers. Thnaks.

post-31780-0-73216700-1438083164_thumb.jpg

MS are sending out stuff to pull in the installer for 10. I reckon the .cab file is part of that as it supports Windows installation engines amongst other things. It'll be on many machines by now I'm sure. The downloads will be phased to lighten the load on the net and MS resources.

I was pretty sure this machine did not have a Win10 download request extant.

I just searched the C: drive for *.cab and didn't see the OP's Win10 cab, but did get over 350 cabs going back to 2007. Could this be why Windoze kills HD space?

I just searched the C: drive for *.cab and didn't see the OP's Win10 cab, but did get over 350 cabs going back to 2007. Could this be why Windoze kills HD space?

Yes, but you can use programs like Piriform's CCleaner to remove old "hotfix" cabs.

I've seen a few positive reviews now.

TBH I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm not in a position to clone my current drive yet and I want a fall back.

I'll probably stick it on the laptop though. That has far less stuff.

I've been running the preview builds since October and it's pretty solid now.  Well worth the upgrade and by no means scary like windows 8 for those used to windows 7.  Best of all it's free for the first year.

For those unsure I read through the FAQ's and you can install a fresh copy rather than upgrade which is how I suggest it should be done. Be sure to back up all your stuff before even attempting moving to Win 10.

• Like 1

For those unsure I read through the FAQ's and you can install a fresh copy rather than upgrade which is how I suggest it should be done. Be sure to back up all your stuff before even attempting moving to Win 10.

I would normally do the same........... but I am feeling lazy today. Backing up all just in case for now. USB 3.0 FTW! 

backing%252520up.png

• Administrators

Been running the RTM for a week now (Build: 10240).

If you upgrade you can revert changes and go back to Windows 8.1 - This will only last for one month.

There is a tool out that will download Windows 10 - ISO and USB options so you can do a clean installation. However at the moment I would recommend upgrading your current OS so the product key changes and activates as Windows 10 key then perform a clean install after. That should stop you running in to any installation issues.

Install tool (Windows 10)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Like 1

OMFG ran update (downloaded ISO first and kept a copy and burn a boot disk one too)............... NOTHING WORKS! ARGHHHHHH When I say nothing, I really mean nothing in the 'update' sense no programs seem to be happy to run on it at all. Chrome = dead, VLC = dead, Tracax = dead, AVG = dead auto prompted to reinstall though).......... Even my wallpaper on desktop is gone, in this day and age how the hell can an OS update be able to go so crap! New start menu is crap too, I don't like change :( Firefox = works and thats only thing so far that feckin does! 

This is a decent spec Win 8.1 machine which was fully up to date and I expected the update process to largely work with little niggles, not 90% fail! 

Going to be a LONG night I fear.... stage one fresh install as it seems I have to reinstall everything like it's Win3.0 to Win3.1 all over again....... At least Win 3.1 came on 4 floppy disks! 

w10.png

I've got it currently installing very slowly on my Intel Atom based Acer tablet (1GB Ram and 32GB HDD), currently at 22% done and progressing.