Dangerous and unsafe Yeti after 9000 miles

dmi

If the police allow me to add this link,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/366196-rear-discs-falling-apart/

What a strange comment!!

The dealer is saying the front needs urgent replacement and rear will need replacing.

Cannot post images as this formus will not allow it.

The discs are not worn just badly scored where the rust has been pushed into the surface.

The pads are almost as new, seems that the disc metal material is not durable enough.

It seems that I am facing a large bill for not driving enough and not using the brakes hard enough!!!

Not what I expect at 9000 miles of gentle driving over a 23 month period.

The warranty exclused parts suject to wear and tear but this is not wear and tear the metal is just not up the job and is not durable enough.

I think consumer law is clear on this, an item must be fit for purpose and durable enough to withstand normal use over a period of time in relationship to price paid.

This might be the last 23K I spend with Skoda after being a loyal customer for 15 years.

I note you still haven't answered the question about who told you your car was "dangerous and unsafe". 

As has been said ALL cars are nowadays affected by wear to the pads and discs, not just Yeti's or Skodas, so your comment "" This might be the last 23K I spend with Skoda after being a loyal customer for 15 years."" is not really relevant. The "problem" has been caused in most instances by the removal of asbestos from the braking material and it's replacement with sintered metal, which wears the disc surface much quicker. Your low mileage and gentle brake applications has not helped, and may possibly have exacerbated the problem. 

I've seen some corroded brake discs in my time as a MOT tester, but I have yet to see one that will fail the MOT, let alone a 'dangerous' one.  What are the brakes like?, do they feel OK?, do they pull up evenly?, are they binding?

Re your post #27

The thread is about Scored Discs and Corrosion, not the Wear from use or not used.  

(But a build up of surface corrosion will score discs often, the sintered metal in the Pads Corroding.)

The Warranty on Wear & Tear and use is one matter.

The Corrosion gets covered well covered in the 'Exclusions' by External & Environment issues.

ie, 

Weather, Salted Roads, Washing Wheels using Detergents etc etc.

Some people start cars, run them a short distance with light braking and clean the discs within a few hundred yards, reducing damage.

I dont think I am making it clear.

Pads and lining are wear and tear items as per the warranty.

Discs the metal bit is not mentioned at all in the items subject to wear and tear, therefore by default they must be an incuded item.

Page 4 states " Components subject to wear and tear"

First items " Brake linings and disc pads"  but no mention of the discs themselves.

The owners manual page 119 has a braking information section where it mentions waer and tear to the pads and corrosion to the discs themselves.

It goes on the state that applying the brakes frequently from a high speed  will clean the surface.

My dealer (I take it the Service manager) did not mention this at all, again I think someone was trying to make a fast buck at my expence, by falling to tell me this and by failing to know that discs are NOT included in the fair wear tear section.

However the document has a get out clause regarding driving styles and environmental conditions.

So what they are saying is drive your gently, drive your car in the rain and if your parts fail then touch.

Again fit for purpose and durabilty must overide this clause.

Looks like a case for Trading Standards.

My 5 year old 50,000 skoda has had 4 sets of Discs on now.

At the first Service at 4,000 miles when the Dealer Sold it to a Private Customer the 40 Point Report said 'Scored Discs'.

They then Skimmed them.

The next Major Service said Corroded and Scored Discs.

I Replaced them because they were so bad.

Its just the crap discs they use, the car sitting and surface corrosion and the rust build up around the rim,

and the annoying scrapping.

It is not a Trading Standards issue or the likes,.  There is no Manufacturing Defects.  Just rubbish Specifications of Discs.

Many here will drive for years, Discs and Pads will stay perfect. its Location Location Location and usage.

Discs on cars parked at the Roadside might corrode worse, cars parked near the Seaside etc.

The warranty is there to guard against defects in material and manufacture.  For a successful warranty claim either the materials from which the braking system are made of, or the way in which it was manufactured need to be defective.  Unfortunately brake discs corrode, it's a matter of physics and chemistry, they are meant to be used, it's what stops the corrosion getting to an advanced state.

Other factors, such as specifying rear discs, where drums would do just as good a job and wheels with large openings that allow the water through don't really help, but that's the design of the car.

With modern brake friction materials you can virtually count on replacing the discs with every second set of pads.

• Like 1

Hi dmi, have you had a 2nd opinion from another Yeti (Skoda) garage?

Reading the above posts I've just learnt that low mileage wears out brake discs.

News to me and I'm 72.

In 17 months of ownership and 32000 miles my discs are fine. There is of course

minor rusting on the outer edge of the discs, but I expect that.

To be fair, a Land Rover dealer tried that trick on me once. Which was on a 5 year old

Freelander and 35000 miles. They said that the discs were scored and grooved.

Well yes of course they were, because the pads will wear/eat into the metal with hard braking

and continual contact.

Just asked them if they were telling me the car was dangerous? Lot of huffing and puffing and told no.

Continual rubbing on a metal surface will over years wear down that metal surface.

There is a difference from a Braking Surface and another braking surface coming together and friction causing a braking effect.

A nice shiny disc and a flat surface, maybe a lip where the pad finishes and does not reduce the discs thickness.

The Surface getting scoring,

ie grooves being cut into the Disc because the hard rusted particles caught in the pad are cutting groves.

post-86161-0-77408100-1439063327_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-22424200-1439063337_thumb.jpg

Some would never have put a vehicle in for a MOT or even driven a vehicle with pads in that state.

Anyone with knowledge of vehicle mechanics should be ashamed IMO.

So what was the vehicle were they on and how old, or how many miles had they been fitted for.?

OK but lets be honest if you double it and DIY it aint going to reach £550

You may have 32k posts but at least others got the point....it's a RIP OFF.

I'm not debating the cost would seem high, but not everyone can DIY and certainly not everyone should. It's unfair to simply brand a dealer a ripoff merchant as you are implying. A dealer will quote the RRP for parts as supplied by Skoda, they have little to no input on this. Labour for a main dealer is going to be £70 plus VAT at the least these days. 1.1 hours book time for fronts and iirc 1.4 for the rears. So that's over £200 before you have even added parts.

Now the argument if they need doing is up for debate and is really down to the personal view of the tech inspecting the vehicle. He/she is damned if they do and damned if they don't to be honest. Put down brakes are corroded and they get complaints, decide that they should leave em and get your arse pulled into court because someone a few weeks later at a tyre place told them their brakes are seriously corroded, been there myself.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer who told him his car was dangerous and unsafe. I think I know the answer!

Good luck with Trading Standards, I doubt you'll get very far.

Seriously doubt it's unsafe, tech probably wrote corrosion on job card, and service advisor saw it could need new discs when it may not, take it for a drive, clear up corrosion and take to an independent garage if in doubt for a second opinion. However I'd suspect that there will be little to worry about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously doubt it's unsafe, tech probably wrote corrosion on job card, and service advisor saw it could need new discs when it may not, take it for a drive, clear up corrosion and take to an independent garage if in doubt for a second opinion. However I'd suspect that there will be little to worry about

Spot on, this happens a lot.

I used to report discs corroded as an advisory to cover myself. This is added to the health check sheet that is then processed by the parts dept who add prices. The service team get it, see the parts prices and add the labour. Before you know it the muppets have called the customer and told them they need discs and pads all around.

• Like 3

Spot on, this happens a lot.

I used to report discs corroded as an advisory to cover myself. This is added to the health check sheet that is then processed by the parts dept who add prices. The service team get it, see the parts prices and add the labour. Before you know it the muppets have called the customer and told them they need discs and pads all around.

Yeah, got to cover yourself all the time tbh, can't trust anyone. I just take the car up the road, give it a few 60 to 0 stops gently and safely. Clears them off and then decent conditions to inspect them :D

The obvious next question is - what are you going to do to minimise this corrosion issue in future?.

I wonder if there is a form of outer wheel cover that you can buy to minimise the exposure to the elements on the outside at least.

The obvious next question is - what are you going to do to minimise this corrosion issue in future?.

I wonder if there is a form of outer wheel cover that you can buy to minimise the exposure to the elements on the outside at least.

The corrosion is caused by water vapour in the air reacting with the steel of the discs .(ie Rust)

Whilst moving the corrosion isn't formed as the discs are in use.

Your idea is pointless.

The corrosion is caused by water vapour in the air reacting with the steel of the discs .(ie Rust)

Whilst moving the corrosion isn't formed as the discs are in use.

Your idea is pointless.

That's obvious with regard to moisture but the outside 'may' get special treatment from passing traffic....we just don't know.

Manufacturers who store cars in compounds for extended periods do just that.

Hub caps anyone?

Using your brakes generates heat and this will encourage oxidation (surface rust) on the non braking surfaces ie the edges of the disk and the calipers. It will happen to the disc surface as well but the brake pads will remove it faster than it can form.

Thank you Colin

Yes the warranty does say the wear and tear parts are only pads and linings and not metion is made of the disc.

Is my dealing trying to con me or am I missing something.

Incidently he did not got any money from me for the service as it was covered by a compensation note from Skoda UK, compensation given because of the bad service I received when buying the vehicle from new.

To me it seems they are simply trying to 'recover' some of that goodwill.

Out here we have predominantly Japanese and S Korean cars and they seem to have vastly more wear and corrosion resistant steel(?) rotors compared to what seems a universal European adoption of cast iron(?) rotors.

A casual inspection of parked cars will determine whether the car is European or Asian sourced simply by the level of black wheel fouling.

I'd be interested to know if Hondas made in the UK source their rotors locally in which case there would be no difference.

• Like 1