VCDS options on Superb III

Just now, mtl said:

Now, you correct on both statements.

Cheers

Originally, by just a quick look I thought the orange was pulsating together with white. But looking now in slow motion I see that it actually makes the white pulsate, and when the white reaches MAX brightness it turns on the orange too.

Is it possible (technically) to make the orange one pulsating while turning off the white completely? That way it would be legal I imagine.

Prior to getting my headlight software update, after the indicator turned off, my DRL would fade in slowly to 100% brighteness.

Likewise, it would fade out slowly before the orange indicator kicks in.

Now, the DRL just simply turns off and on - no fading in or out.

I liked the previous way, but I don't know how to get it back.

Edited by JR RS

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

Is it possible (technically) to make the orange one pulsating while turning off the white completely? That way it would be legal I imagine.

Yes, it is and this is factory setting.:D

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, mtl said:

Yes, it is and this is factory setting.:D

Well, of-course it's not! 

By pulsating I don't obviously mean going immediately from 0% to 100% brightness (that's the factory setting) but progressively lightening up (0%-20%-40%-60%-80%-100% then back to 0%).

So, what the LED is doing in white in that video, if it can do it in orange.

Edited by newbie69

5 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

That way it would be legal I imagine.

Well, ask your MOT if they think if this would be legal ;)...

I think that EU laws on that are quite straight forward.

28 minutes ago, mtl said:

Well, ask your MOT if they think if this would be legal ;)...

I think that EU laws on that are quite straight forward.

Didn't you say on your previous message that pulsating orange would not be against EU legislation?

In any case, forget about being legal or not, is it technically possible to have a progressive orange light indication? 

Anyway the question was not what would the police or MOT in my country think about it but simply the capabilities of the controller and hardware:

38 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

By pulsating I don't obviously mean going immediately from 0% to 100% brightness (that's the factory setting) but progressively lightening up (0%-20%-40%-60%-80%-100% then back to 0%).

So, what the LED is doing in white in that video, if it can do it in orange.

On 28/03/2019 at 19:28, djduese said:

If you want to open sunroof completely by comfort open you have to set SAD Richtung Komfortoeffnen to open and in controller CA "Ziellage bei Komfortöffnen" to "Schiebelage"

I have tried this yesterday. I get a “no response from controller when trying to acces the CA controller. 

Something to do with my type of cable? Is anyone else having these issues? 

Anyway, thanks for the information. Hopefully i can get it sorted someday. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

@Tin82 what cable are you using? 

I’m using a HEX-V2 cable. 

The CA controller is the only one I cannot access on my MY2018 car. 

In my fathers MY2019 Kodiaq i cannot access any controller. 

Do you think i need a HEX-NET cable? Would a VCP also do the trick?

32 minutes ago, mtl said:

HEX-V2 should work fine.

Do you have a genuine Ross-tech cable or a clone?

^^^ This

providing it’s a genuine cable it will be fine, if it’s a clone then it will be a coned HEX+CAN in a V2 case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

^^^ This

providing it’s a genuine cable it will be fine, if it’s a clone then it will be a coned HEX+CAN in a V2 case. 

Bought it second hand. Looks real and i can update. Will look into it. Thanks for the info. 

If the serial number is all 00000’s then it’s a fake, there are some identical looking fakes around. 

Post a full scan up and that may confirm it. 

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

If the serial number is all 00000’s then it’s a fake, there are some identical looking fakes around. 

I do not think we would need a full scan, it is 99,999% sure what is happening here ;). And I would say that also Tin82 knows that very well.

13 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Ok. I could not find serial number all 00000’s in my autoscan. But i opened it up and compared the guts to the insides of an original cable. Some guy online made a comparison.  It wasn’t original. Luckely the guy i bought it from lived in the neighbourhood. So went back with a friend and now, after having to be an asshole, got my 275 euro back. Money is not fake, i checked. 

So now i don’t want second hand anymore. 

I will buy new:

hex-v2 or hex-net. 

Is it, apart from the wireless, the same?

or is hex-net more future proof? 

Thanks for the heads up. I could not find out why i could not access my fathers Kodiaq with a hex-v2. Now I know. 

Thanks again. Happy I found out ontime. 

Ps. The fake cable looked very real: detachable usb cable, rosstech velco and a paper guide. 

Edited by Tin82

24 minutes ago, Tin82 said:

Ok. I could not find serial number all 00000’s in my autoscan. But i opened it up and compared the guts to the insides of an original cable. Some guy online made a comparison.  It wasn’t original. Luckely the guy i bought it from lived in the neighbourhood. So went back with a friend and now, after having to be an asshole, got my 275 euro back. Money is not fake, i checked. 

I will buy new:

hex-v2 or hex-net. 

Thanks for the heads up. I could not find out why i could not access my fathers Kodiaq with a hex-v2. Now I know. 

Ps. The fake cable looked very real: detachable usb cable, rosstech velco and a paper guide. 

275eur second hand? :o  Does the Netherlands pay a special "VCDS tax"?  At least you got your money back.

Are you working with it professionally?  Because if not there are other, legitimate alternatives for much less money.

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

275eur second hand? :o  Does the Netherlands pay a special "VCDS tax"?  At least you got your money back.

Are you working with it professionally?  Because if not there are other, legitimate alternatives for much less money.

I guess so. A new hex-v2 unlimited vin costs €440. I know its cheaper at rosstech. But than custom fees apply. Also i am now cableless and a bit impatient. 

I just use it to play with my car and love tinkering with it. Love some of the mods i’ve done. I know about VCP. But now that i am used to vcds i decided to stick with it and cough up the extra euro’s needed. 

0598DA0F-5391-4E0F-AB5E-9DA19A689473.png

5 minutes ago, Tin82 said:

I guess so. A new hex-v2 unlimited vin costs €440. I know its cheaper at rosstech. But than custom fees apply. Also i am now cableless and a bit impatient. 

I just use it to play with my car and love tinkering with it. Love some of the mods i’ve done. I know about VCP. But now that i am used to vcds i decided to stick with it and cough up the extra euro’s needed. 

0598DA0F-5391-4E0F-AB5E-9DA19A689473.png

Well up to you really how you like to spend your money, but with the PRO version of OBDEleven (bit less than 70eur in total for dongle + app) you'll be able to do all that tinkering and more, at a fraction of the cost of even the 275 eur you paid for the 2nd hand VCDS cable there, let alone the 440... 

5 hours ago, Tin82 said:

I will buy new:

hex-v2 or hex-net. 

The software on the HEX-V2 and HEX-NET is the same and they will  both work on all cars, the difference is the interface itself, HEX-NET can be used on a mobile phone (the VCDS-Mobile software is nowhere near as nice to use as the full fat software for coding, but is ideal if you just want to do a scan of the car)

You can also use the full software wirelessly which can be useful, other than that there isn’t much difference between them.

As for ‘other cheaper legitimate options’ I suppose it all comes down to whether you consider if by using Ross-Tech’s  info (data, label files and so on) without permission as being legitimate or not?

Some people will ultimately let the cost be the deciding factor as we all like a bargain, others prefer to support the people who actually do the R&D and developed the software in the first place.

Second hand Ross-Tech interfaces also demand almost new prices as well, so if you do decide to sell it at a later date the cost to you would have been minimal.

9 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Well up to you really how you like to spend your money, but with the PRO version of OBDEleven (bit less than 70eur in total for dongle + app) you'll be able to do all that tinkering and more, at a fraction of the cost of even the 275 eur you paid for the 2nd hand VCDS cable there, let alone the 440... 

I looked at the obdeleven and it looks nice tbh. Maybe later when it has ios support. Would be nice to just keep in the glovebox. Thanks for the idea

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The software on the HEX-V2 and HEX-NET is the same and they will  both work on all cars, the difference is the interface itself, HEX-NET can be used on a mobile phone (the VCDS-Mobile software is nowhere near as nice to use as the full fat software for coding, but is ideal if you just want to do a scan of the car)

You can also use the full software wirelessly which can be useful, other than that there isn’t much difference between them.

As for ‘other cheaper legitimate options’ I suppose it all comes down to whether you consider if by using Ross-Tech’s  info (data, label files and so on) without permission as being legitimate or not?

Some people will ultimately let the cost be the deciding factor as we all like a bargain, others prefer to support the people who actually do the R&D and developed the software in the first place.

Second hand Ross-Tech interfaces also demand almost new prices as well, so if you do decide to sell it at a later date the cost to you would have been minimal.

Thanks for confirming that the hex-v2 is also futureproof. I will go for the hex-v2 because i dont mind the cable. 

The silver lining is that i can now help my father to mod his Kodiaq. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

But being legitimate or not is (thankfully) not decided by each one's views and back-ground, there are regulations and accredited bodies that control and decide on this. So, as I had asked in the past and I didn't get a reply: Is Voltas IT proven to be using Ross-Tech trademark software/knowledge? Is there an actual court decision or even a legal dispute between the two companies on the matter? Surely if what you claim is true Ross-Tech would have taken the necessary action? I am asking not for the sake of arguing but out of interest of finding out as I am not aware of any.

On top of that, I am not aware of another non-legitimate product/service that is offered via a HTTPS certified website and is also present for purchase on Google Play. So it must either be that those guys have really high connections with legal authorities over the world (highly doubt it) or there is just no valid ground for claiming copyrights.

And again, there are different markets and having an affordable alternative for the non-pro's out there, instead of having to buy a clone cable is definitely good. Forking out nearly 300eur or more to simply fool around with fancy light settings and activate a few funny options is beyond overkill. Not that I have a problem with whoever is doing it, just make sure you made an informed decision is all I'm saying, apparently many are still only aware of the VCDS's existence.

2 hours ago, Tin82 said:

I looked at the obdeleven and it looks nice tbh. Maybe later when it has ios support. Would be nice to just keep in the glovebox. Thanks for the idea

It sure is simpler if you already have an Android device. Even just having to go buy one especially for the OBDEleven, set it up etc would probably be enough to just stick with VCDS.

Although if you did, it would probably be the VCDS cable that would stay in the glovebox all the time :D  Happened to me when I first went OBDEleven, before realizing I didn't really used it anymore and sold it, although at a much cheaper price than what you bought yours :worried:

2 hours ago, Tin82 said:

Thanks for confirming that the hex-v2 is also futureproof. I will go for the hex-v2 because i dont mind the cable. 

The silver lining is that i can now help my father to mod his Kodiaq. 

If you will be using it only on two cars, you can buy HEX-V2 limited to 3 VIN numbers for 199USD. It can later on also be upgraded to 10 if needed. For a person that needs only for his car, this is the best solution from my point of view.

10 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

But being legitimate or not is (thankfully) not decided by each one's views and back-ground, there are regulations and accredited bodies that control and decide on this. So, as I had asked in the past and I didn't get a reply: Is Voltas IT proven to be using Ross-Tech trademark software/knowledge? Is there an actual court decision or even a legal dispute between the two companies on the matter? Surely if what you claim is true Ross-Tech would have taken the necessary action? I am asking not for the sake of arguing but out of interest of finding out as I am not aware of any.

On top of that, I am not aware of another non-legitimate product/service that is offered via a HTTPS certified website and is also present for purchase on Google Play. So it must either be that those guys have really high connections with legal authorities over the world (highly doubt it) or there is just no valid ground for claiming copyrights.

And again, there are different markets and having an affordable alternative for the non-pro's out there, instead of having to buy a clone cable is definitely good. Forking out nearly 300eur or more to simply fool around with fancy light settings and activate a few funny options is beyond overkill. Not that I have a problem with whoever is doing it, just make sure you made an informed decision is all I'm saying, apparently many are still only aware of the VCDS's existence.

I have already written this here: Voltas has used print screens of my YouTube videos for their app thumbnails. And print screens were cut in such a way that my logo was deleted, so it was done intentionally. Without my permission.
After I have contacted them regarding this, they were blaming it to some other users and blah blah, but they have finally taken them down.

Anyway, I have already written also this: be very carefull when using Obdeleven, especially apps. I have been putting together already a large number of cars which had major problems after playing with Obdeleven on them. I could not believe what a mess Obdeleven did on them. One car (Audi A4) nedeed a full factory FW upload, so that the problem was solved.

Anyway, it is good that there are alternatives, but it is a must that you are aware what each tool does.

Edited by mtl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtl said:

I have already written this here: Voltas has used print screens of my YouTube videos for their app thumbnails. And print screens were cut in such a way that my logo was deleted, so it was done intentionally. Without my permission.
After I have contacted them regarding this, they were blaming it to some other users and blah blah, but they have finally taken them down.

Anyway, I have already written also this: be very carefull when using Obdeleven, especially apps. I have been putting together already a large number of cars which had major problems after playing with Obdeleven on them. I could not believe what a mess Obdeleven did on them. One car (Audi A4) nedeed a full factory FW upload, so that the problem was solved.

Anyway, it is good that there are alternatives, but it is a must that you are aware what each tool does.

But surely copying thumbnails or other graphic material, as stupid as it may be, is a completely different thing to trademark technology?

I would rather agree with the app argument. I have hundreds of credits (you get one every day if log in) but I have never used any of them. I prefer the traditional adaptation/coding way. But I suppose, selecting an incompatible option from a random adaptation even via VCDS would cause harm, there is no fail-safe there either, no?

Totally agree that you must be informed and aware of anything that you do when messing with that stuff in general.