Phil's Fabia 1.8t Build Thread (ex 1.2 12v)

pip_vrs

Engine out and stripped down, everything looked like new except number 2 main bearing had a massive groove in it. It looks fairly fresh so were presuming it was because we had engine upsidedown and something had dropped in. Just goes to show how important the oil pickup mesh is, which had been stabbed so there were holes :angry:

just need a few bits from TPS and a full degrease before rebuild.

IMG_9220.JPG

IMG_9221.JPG

• Like 4

Garage is an absolute **** tip and oil everywhere.

picture of oil pickup which 'was replaced' by a garage before i bought the Ibiza. Would like to know which garage did this.

i was getting a really high pitch squeel on part throttle in corners, was exhaust gasket which one layer had split.

IMG_9222.JPG

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9229.JPG

• Like 2

Was unsure about taking my block into work to clean it up, its just a ballache to get it there etc.

So thought I'd try my pistons, I put them in the parts washer and tbh it didn't do a very good job.

I then thought id sit them in a degreaser for 5 mins.. wow theyre like new :D I just hope there isn't a coating and its destroyed it

IMG_9243.JPG

IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

• Like 1

New main bearings arrived, which I forgot to order last week.

Strange but there not exactly the same as standard. Standards have a hole above the oil way and groove on the block side, then they are smooth on the cap side.

The King Racing ones have 4 smooth and 6 with hole/groove..

IMG_9246.JPG

• Like 1

Asked on a 20vt facebook tuning page who all have come back saying no.4 bearing originally was grooved all the way round.

So either put it in no.4 or a lot of people have put it in no.3 as it's in the middle, which seems logical to me. All 'race' bearings are designed on the original 20vt engine apparently.

Looking at this link; https://www.performancebyie.com/mahle-motorsport-vandervell-race-main-bearing-set-for-vw-audi-4-cylinder# it says "This set includes 10 half shells, 5 with oiling grooves . The oiling groove is to be installed on the top side of the journal to provide oil to the full journal." which makes more sense to me.

What did you take out?

6 hours ago, sharkrider said:

Is this coming to Germany with us again? or are you chickening out and bringing a "comfy" car ? ;)

Not sure at the min, may have a new car lined up. Just need to see how much the A4 is worth if anything :D

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:48, andsoutham said:

M235i? ;)

Get on that RWD lyf 

Last time I owned a fast BMW it ended up backwards up a kurb..

10175206_384085031729818_167930281_n.jpg

10268965_711196395611796_2119870794_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Finally got the last parts i need to start building the engine up. Probably a few bits i'll need along the way but i have everything i can think of.

All genuine VAG parts, think about £2k worth of parts just for the engine.. :blink:

IMG_9556.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 1