Blocked fuel filler overflow pipe

The fuel filler overflow pipe on my Superb Greenline III gets blocked regularly with debris. I clear it by poking solder wire down the pipe. Recently I have drilled through the plastic plug at the top end of the pipe to widen the hole. Anyone else having this problem? Is there any harm in just removing the pipe completely to allow water to drain down the hole?

Hi again.  I have no problem clearing it, as I said, poking solder wire down the pipe clears it OK but it soon blocks up again with debris like small leaves etc.  I just wish i could find a way to stop it blocking in the first place.

Hi again.  I have no problem clearing it, as I said, poking solder wire down the pipe clears it OK but it soon blocks up again with debris like small leaves etc.  I just wish i could find a way to stop it blocking in the first place.

Plug it?

And remove plug when filling?

The fuel filler overflow pipe on my Superb Greenline III gets blocked regularly with debris. I clear it by poking solder wire down the pipe. Recently I have drilled through the plastic plug at the top end of the pipe to widen the hole. Anyone else having this problem? Is there any harm in just removing the pipe completely to allow water to drain down the hole?

Maybe try the Superb 3 forum too? If its a new car then this should be a warranty fix. If yours is a Superb 2 and its a typo please ignore this post  :notme:  :D

Maybe try the Superb 3 forum too? If its a new car then this should be a warranty fix. If yours is a Superb 2 and its a typo please ignore this post  :notme:  :D

It will be a Superb 2, but in Greenline trim they are called Greenline 3, somewhat confusing, I also have one.

• Like 1

Mine also tends to get blocked from time to time. Earlier today when I washed it I took the plunge and momentarily gave it a very quick blast with the power washer. A bit dodgy as its right next to the filler cap, but it cleared it alright. 

There's no spilt diesel to attract the debris, and the "small leaves" i mentioned are very small leaf debris that gets through the edges of the filler flap.  I feel like just removing the pipe and leaving the larger hole to drain water away, but is there any problem with doing this?   :think:

Not really as the drain goes straight out under the car, but the tube will stop and water coming into the filler flap from under the car,

in the 3 ½ years I owned my MKII I only ‘needed’ to clean the overflow pipe out a handful of times.

Not really as the drain goes straight out under the car, but the tube will stop and water coming into the filler flap from under the car,

in the 3 ½ years I owned my MKII I only ‘needed’ to clean the overflow pipe out a handful of times.

Very similar experience for me as well. After I have cleaned my car and I am doing the door jams and fuel flap I obviously check for water and if it is not flowing away I just use an instrument screwdriver to unblock the hole.

I had this issue on mine from buying it last year.... In the end I pulled the pipe up out of the filler opening by about four or five Iniches and blew as hard as I could but still had a blockage. I then tried a couple of suck then blow attempts and it cleared. No issues since then.

I think you would need the pipe there as it goes down into the back of the wheel arch and then empties the fuel out behind the back wheel. Without it the fuel would more than likely collect somewhere else on the inside of the bodywork.

I had this issue on mine from buying it last year.... In the end I pulled the pipe up out of the filler opening by about four or five Iniches and blew as hard as I could but still had a blockage. I then tried a couple of suck then blow attempts and it cleared. No issues since then.

I think you would need the pipe there as it goes down into the back of the wheel arch and then empties the fuel out behind the back wheel. Without it the fuel would more than likely collect somewhere else on the inside of the bodywork.

Yeah, mine is blocked too, so I'll give your "suck/blow/suck/blow" method a go... :D 

Yeah, mine is blocked too, so I'll give your "suck/blow/suck/blow" method a go... :D

Just be prepared for a small mouthful of crud and diesel dregs..... A quick swill out of my mouth with some water soon got rid of the taste. ;)

• Like 1

I have the same problem, I have to clean out the hole regularly, I usually spray lubricant right into the hole afterwards, seems to help. In that same area I have a problem with a fuel cap cover that constantly jams, not nice when I'm running low on fuel!!!!

Be careful using WD40 (or similar) as this will attract dust and dirt and it will stick to the lubricant, which I'm guessing might exacerbate rather then cure the issue?

Exactly what i was thinking. :)

• Like 1

It's under the fuel filler cap and is the small hole to the bottom right of the fuel filler cap, just a small hole about 1mm in diameter.  It is a black plastic plug attached to a plastic pipe which drains spilt fuel and rainwater away from the filler cap and down the back of the wheel arch.

• Like 1

Hi All

Well I didnt even realise this was something to look out for, So I went out to check my car as I had washed it earlier and sure enough a nice pool of water at the bottom where the drain must be blocked.

I unblocked mine by grabbing a can of air with a straw attachment and gave it a blast and it cleared it and the water disapeared.

Think I will pick a extra can up from the pound shop next time and keep it in the boot.

I will keep any eye on this now I know

thanks

Pete

Edited by Squattingbeaver
  • Like 2

Hi All

Well I didnt even realise this was something to look out for, So I went out to check my car as I had washed it earlier and sure enough a nice pool of water at the bottom where the drain must be blocked.

I unblocked mine by grabbing a can of air with a straw attachment and gave it a blast and it cleared it and the water disapeared.

Think I will pick a extra can up from the pound shop next time and keep it in the boot.

I will keep any eye on this now I know

thanks

Pete

Good idea Pete..... Will have to remember this if mine blocks back up again rather than the mouthful of diesel soaked gunk.

• Like 2