Take it or leave it.

Hi,

first post on here and I'd hoped it'd be a pic of my first Skoda, a shiny new Octavia Estate VRS Tdi DSG but alas no. 

Car is at the dealers ready to pick up now but I asked them to just hold onto it for a while until I get some confirmation from Skoda that it won't be recalled due to the great VAG diesel emissions scandal. I phoned Skoda UK to ask them but they have no idea if my car would be effected in any way as they've had no info/guidance from Skoda HQ yet.

I'd love to pick it up asap but feel that if there's going to be any recall, bodging the car to meet emissions shenanigans then it's easier to say no you can't have my money (and it is my money as a private purchase) than it is to say please take the car back and give me my money back. I was initially looking at the petrol but chose the diesel for it's economy and the ease/value of resale. Doh!

So what do you think? Is it a mountain out of a molehill and just take what is still a very good car asap? Or sensible to delay until Skoda pull their finger out and let us know what may or may not be effected?

Feel like a 6 year old on Christmas eve who's been told Christmas is postponed/cancelled.

Would it likely make any difference if the car is Euro5 or 6? Not sure which it will be as it was ordered in June (of the January brochure which stated Euro5), built last week of August (MY16?) for delivery in late September. I saw a VW statement that said all cars 'BUILT' from September 2015 were Euro6 but built in August for delivery in September , not sure.

Cheers.

p.s. I know there's another thread about  the great VAG diesel emissions scandal but that seems to have become a diesel v petrol v electric discussion so thought I'd post here. It is an Octavia after all.

Don't worry about it, under the sale of goods act if it was part of the scandal then skoda uk would have to pay any increase in road tax etc due to misleading you into a purchase, any costs etc will most certainly not be on you so I wouldn't worry about it!

• Like 1

I'd go pick it up if it were me.  As Graeme said, not worth worrying about, better to have the car and enjoy it - somebody else will if you don't.

Gaz

Go pick it up, I very much doubt you have anything to worry about. This VW scandal is years in the making and I doubt they have an easy fix. I suspect that the government wil penalise the company in some way rather than the Consumers who bought not knowing.

So go and pick it up :-)

The thing is with this "scandal" is this was known about for sometime and nothing was said about it.

Is seems this whole thing is being brought up to have a go at VAG and German goverment which has close ties to the VAG board.

I would get your car an enjoy it, I don't know how you resisted this long with your new car just sitting there.....;-)

Cheers

JJ

If your car was built in August it is MY16 and therefore Euro6 compliant engine. (Ignore the brochure available at time of ordering, it was out of date - like me, you were probably expecting a CD player too when you ordered!) It seems to be the case so far that euro6 engines are not affected. I signed for mine today to pick up during the week, without any second thoughts!

Not sure if you have bought it yet, (bought but not collected), or if the purchase takes place upon collection.

However the new sale of goods rules apply from 1st Oct that gives more defined rejection rules (although this is mainly aimed at faults that cannot be fixed in one go) so might be worth checking which rules apply if you delay until Thursday.

Edited by SurreyJohn

As far as I know, even the tier 5 Octys havent been implicated yet. Of course, that doesnt mean they wont be.

Dont worry about it. Pick the car up, and be happy in the knowledge that as a diesel driver you are now killing thousands of people. Thats what I do :D

• Like 1

I have a MkII diesel VRS and it is likely my car is included in the VW omni-shambles - but guess what, it still starts first time like it did before this all blew up, I can still get up to 60mpg and it is still in immaculate condition with a fair few toys as standard.

If the trade in price drops (which I doubt) I will just hang onto it and run it into the ground.  Not a problem.

Was a great car last week and is still a great car this week.

Deception by VW is very naughty (and they should/will pay a penalty not me) - but cannot believe the shock, horror of some because they think a car is more polluting than thought.  Any car is bad for the environment.

If new legislation is brought in they will need to draw a line in the sand and not penalise the innocent motorist who is caught up in this.

Therefore, pick up you car and enjoy, weather is to be good for the next few days.

Cheers.

• Like 3

I have a MkII diesel VRS and it is likely my car is included in the VW omni-shambles - but guess what, it still starts first time like it did before this all blew up, I can still get up to 60mpg and it is still in immaculate condition with a fair few toys as standard.

If the trade in price drops (which I doubt) I will just hang onto it and run it into the ground.  Not a problem.

Was a great car last week and is still a great car this week.

Deception by VW is very naughty (and they should/will pay a penalty not me) - but cannot believe the shock, horror of some because they think a car is more polluting than thought.  Any car is bad for the environment.

If new legislation is brought in they will need to draw a line in the sand and not penalise the innocent motorist who is caught up in this.

Therefore, pick up you car and enjoy, weather is to be good for the next few days.

Cheers.

Exactly. Its time to move on. Fine VW however much money they want, and onwards we go. Hopefully this time without any cheat devices :D

I'm probably alone in suggesting you reject any diesel from VAG (assuming you have the option).

Meeting emissions legislation isn't usually negotiable and I don't see any reason why the authorities will not demand that VW recalls all affected cars, to have the software updated and/or additional components installed.

The result of those updates/changes could mean that the performance of the car is much worse than it is today.

That is pure speculation. We don't have details of the issue, how widespread and any potential fix. But we do know how the engine allegedly performs now. Life goes on and only worry about stuff you can control. It's hardly as if petrol engines are going to come up smelling of roses - big business always have skeletons in the cupboard, just takes time for things to go public/wash dirty clothes in public.

VW do need ten of the belt though - image has always been more important than product quality and dealer experience.

Like most, if it were me in your position I'd 100% accept it and move on.

However, I'm absolutely interested in what skoda come back with on this. VW MUST know for certain which engines are affected. So how long are they going to be able to get away with that not being public knowledge I wonder.

• Like 1

That is pure speculation. We don't have details of the issue

It's an assessment of potential risk, based on information we have today.

Life goes on and only worry about stuff you can control.

I fully agree with that outlook on life. However when the OP is spending tens of thousands of his own money, it's worth listening to all opinions.

It's hardly as if petrol engines are going to come up smelling of roses

Not sure how this comment is relevant? Do you have any concrete information that any car manufacturer has been cheating the petrol vehicle emissions legislation. Or how did you put it:

That is pure speculation.

:p

in 2007 we had the discussion about diesel in norway and the result was that diesel was the winner With less co2. Guess what.... i had just got my self a petrol car .

now we got the same discussion, but this time it is about nox so now the diesel is the bad one... Guess what...i just got my self a diesel....

well,it has been in the Cards for a while now that diesel cars will be taking a hit, i was expecting it to take some years  but the vw scandal gave it a real push.

i only got my self to blame for ordering a diesel so i Guess i just will drive it along and take what's coming, when/if it comes.

if i where to order today it would have been a petrol....

i am picking up my car Next week and thats it.....

i would not tell you what to do,it's up to you!

Edited by bytterga

Do you have any concrete information that any car manufacturer has been cheating the petrol vehicle emissions legislation.

If they can do this to diesels, there is a potential they can do it to petrols. Remember, it isnt just NOx to worry about. Perhaps the CO or hydrocarbon emissions from VW petrols dont comply.

What do we call it-

An assesment of potential risk :devil:

Everything I have read suggests the deception was through the engine control software, though nobody seems to know just how. If this is the case, VAG will only need to re-flash the software to remove the cheat. But of itself that won't reduce the NOx levels, so they might have to come up with some other bodge to reduce emissions, which could well reduce performance. Of course there's nothing to stop anyone subsequently having their engine remapped ... 

Feeling a bit smug that our on-order Octavia has the 1.8 TSi engine - until, of course, they find VW have been fiddling that as well!

Chances are the petrol engines do the same cheat to lower emissions in a test.

They will pay dearly for this as their sales of all their brands have grown on the back of low emissions for low road tax in the UK.

Maybe this will finally kill the stupid myth about German cars being the best?

All the idiots who pay for a VW badge must be feeling sick.