Real World MPG figures

Noticed something, unless my mind was playing tricks; yesterday on the drive home from Preston across North Wales and down the coast the mileage rolled over 3k and the car felt more willing to rev above 4krpm. Also the fuel economy seems to have made a step change improvement, over the 200 odd mile journey I managed 51.2 which included significant A road overtaking wide open throttle moments.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I set my 190DSG in sport mode via the Columbus (not on the box) and I noticed the fuel economy improved over the normal set up on my run home from work. I'm going to leave it set in sport to see if it was a one off. First 400 miles covered has returned an indicated 38.7 mpg in varied gearbox settings though the first 103 miles was in London traffic conditions.

I'm trying to vary the rev range so I don't glaze the cylinders and not baby it too much. I'm hoping once I've got the first 1000 miles under the hood she'll start to loosen up and the economy will come up a bit, though it's obvious it'll never return the combined figures quoted in the brochure. There again, fuel economy wasn't the reason for buying the car.

On another note, Miller Oils have confirmed their Diesel Ecomax additive can be used on the Superb so I'll be dosing the tank with a squirt to see if that helps improve the economy. It has helped in all the diesels I've used it in over the passed few years. I'll post any improvements if I see any.

Edited by Devonshiredave

Picked up my SE 1.6 tdi late Friday evening, did a run of approx 100 miles yesterday 70% motorway the rest A roads, dash is showing average fuel consumption of 50/51mpg

I've just acquired a B8 Passat Estate 150 manual which replaced a Superb Mk2 Greenline Estate. After four years and 148,000 miles, the.Suoerb achieved 64.10mpg, compared with the 57.60mpg recorded in my remapped 1.9Tdi Superb Mk2 hatch.

By contrast, the Passat has now covered 3,400 miles in just over a month and where the average economy is 51.80 mpg after four fill-ups.The Superb GL was already in the early 60's at the same low mileage.

Like many S3 owner's, I'm disappointed by the comparatively poor economy, noting that around 75% of my driving is on motorway/A-Roads at moderate speeds.

450 mile done (yes comparatively less than most) mpg is sitting at 19.3... not impressed but I've heard others saying it takes a few thousand miles to configure the car but this is still ridiculous

• 2 weeks later...

After 2000 miles I am getting just under 29mpg out of my 280 and it seems to be getting better as the miles are put on.

As from next weeend the car will get a lot of long motorway trips, (North France, Stuttgart, Utrecht, Bordeaux, Le Mans) so am expecting it to get considerably better than that.

19.3 seems very low, are you doing only town driving ?

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

After 2000 miles I am getting just under 29mpg out of my 280 and it seems to be getting better as the miles are put on.

As from next weeend the car will get a lot of long motorway trips, (North France, Stuttgart, Utrecht, Bordeaux, Le Mans) so am expecting it to get considerably better than that.

19.3 seems very low, are you doing only town driving ?

Yes all of it is town driving, 7 mile commute start stop London traffic. coming up to refill time and only done 100 miles after £40 petrol, 18mpg average showing...

not impressed

19.3!!!!! Get it looked at.my 280 over 5400 mules has ave 31.8 quite pleased with that,i dont hang about,but 19.3,would be distraught!!! Kevin.

yea think I'll contact the dealer but having done 500 miles is it worth calling them up?

19.3 mpg sounds like you have a literal hole in your engine.

Thats exactly how i'm feeling.

Decided to switch off eco mode and switch to normal, at least i'm back to enjoying my ride experience.

6k miles in and it's a bit variable my 190ps hatch. Some days 50+ at high M way speeds is easily achieved (as in 90mph ish) other times trundling at 70 and I only get 47-48. Seems very fuel sensitive, mine doesn't perform well on texaco std.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just under 8k in and was returning about 53 or 54mpg. Switched to Sport mode for a couple of days and it dropped to mid 40's. Switched back to Normal and it's back up to 54.

Will conduct some tests in Eco mode over the next few days. The things I do to pass the time!!

All figures are from maxidot.

I am at 3k now. I leave it in normal, 50/50 town and motorway, averaging 43mpg on the maxi dot. Not great, I drive steady, rarely accelerate fast. Ah well the car makes up for it...

Regularly getting 60mpg (maxidot) from my 150 tdi. I don't hang around either with the ACC usually set between 75-85mph depending on the road.

I think 65 would be easily attainable

5,500 miles. Long term average remains around 43.4mpg. Used in 'Normal' or 'Comfort' all the time. Still awaiting an official response from Skoda UK as to exactly why the 190DSG 4x4 variant is so far off the stated figures and is actually returning performance below the urban cycle but it used on the extra-urban. The silence is deafening!

Will need its first AdBlue refill in approx 1,200 miles.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

5,500 miles. Long term average remains around 43.4mpg. Used in 'Normal' or 'Comfort' all the time. Still awaiting an official response from Skoda UK as to exactly why the 190DSG 4x4 variant is so far off the stated figures and is actually returning performance below the urban cycle but it used on the extra-urban. The silence is deafening!

Will need its first AdBlue refill in approx 1,200 miles.

I'm on similar on my 150tdi, manual. I'm going to change fuel and see if that make a difference as mines alomoat all been on local tesco fuel. Edited by Bugginbob

I'm on similar on my 150tdi, manual. I'm going to change fuel and see if that make a difference as mines alomoat all been on local tesco fuel.

I'm running on shell premium diesel, still getting 43mpg

Very pleased with mine so far, 190 SEL hatch manual. Averaging 52,3 on maxidot on this tank, mixed motorway A roads with a little urban.Only 800+ miles so far

This is as good as the Seat Leon STFR it replaced, which was no where near the Seat Leon STFR it replaced which would get in the 60 zone constantly.

Don't use ACC as i don't like it and probably drive it more steadily than the FR which was more nimble and sporty to drive

But if it continues in the same way will be very happy

We've driven two Superb demonstrators yesterday, unaccompanied both times, so we were able.

to play with settings & drive them with a little verve.

Both L&K 4x4, a 280 estate, which was showing 25.4 mpg long-term, & 26.2 mpg for our test drive.

The other car was a 190 diesel hatch-back, that had managed to record 35.2 mpg long-term & 35.1 mpg in our hands.

We were driving in & around the Horsham area . mostly on the A24 & A264 dual carrigeways + driving in & out of Horsham itself in the diesel.

We were not impressed, the 190 felt sluggish & the 280 was quicker, of course, but not enough to justify the increased price & running costs.

Both cars had covered 5K+ miles, so should they have loosened-up enough for the fuel consumption to have stabilized?

We decided to use my Superb Twin-door to get to & from the dealer, so that we had a yard-stick to compare with, but the old car

(20K miles) burnt less fuel, 35+ mpg there & back.

It also to be seems quicker & quieter, (19" wheels on both demonstrators + loud exhaust on the 280) it also has better throttle response 

& low-down torque than the 280, (not fair to compare it with the diesel!).

Maybe the 3-year old remap was worth the expenditure.....

So, apart from owning a new & much more modern car, mit many electronic toys to play with, is it worth me spending £25K +

my Superb as a trade-in, for a '16 plate, & higher running costs?

It was an interesting day-out, in the rain, so good for testing the AWD, & realizing that the hatch really does need a rear wiper!

DC

We've driven two Superb demonstrators yesterday, unaccompanied both times, so we were able.

to play with settings & drive them with a little verve.

Both L&K 4x4, a 280 estate, which was showing 25.4 mpg long-term, & 26.2 mpg for our test drive.

The other car was a 190 diesel hatch-back, that had managed to record 35.2 mpg long-term & 35.1 mpg in our hands.

We were driving in & around the Horsham area . mostly on the A24 & A264 dual carrigeways + driving in & out of Horsham itself in the diesel.

We were not impressed, the 190 felt sluggish & the 280 was quicker, of course, but not enough to justify the increased price & running costs.

Both cars had covered 5K+ miles, so should they have loosened-up enough for the fuel consumption to have stabilized?

We decided to use my Superb Twin-door to get to & from the dealer, so that we had a yard-stick to compare with, but the old car

(20K miles) burnt less fuel, 35+ mpg there & back.

It also to be seems quicker & quieter, (19" wheels on both demonstrators + loud exhaust on the 280) it also has better throttle response 

& low-down torque than the 280, (not fair to compare it with the diesel!).

Maybe the 3-year old remap was worth the expenditure.....

So, apart from owning a new & much more modern car, mit many electronic toys to play with, is it worth me spending £25K +

my Superb as a trade-in, for a '16 plate, & higher running costs?

It was an interesting day-out, in the rain, so good for testing the AWD, & realizing that the hatch really does need a rear wiper!

DC

May I suggest a smaller engine if they are available for a test drive. I know the 1.8 TSI that we have hear in Sweden is not available in the UK but testing if available a small engine won´t hurt. Who knows you might just be in for a pleasant surprise judging from some of the comments made by those having purchased more economical engines for their S3 here on Briskoda.