Real World MPG figures

4 hours ago, Jonnie5kelso said:

My 150tdi dsg is sitting at 

36.5mpg Since start. 

38mpg Long term. 

39mpg Since refuel. 

I have seen since start at mid 50’s when I’m busy on longer runs. 

That's interesting, my 1.4 petrol engine is on 37.6 mpg over 6,500 miles. Surprised it's as good as a diesel. 

18 minutes ago, facet edge said:

That's interesting, my 1.4 petrol engine is on 37.6 mpg over 6,500 miles. Surprised it's as good as a diesel. 

Not sure how representative Jonnie5kelso's numbers are. I asked a similar question elsewhere about moving up from CR140 MkII manual to 190 DSG. The 150 owners were reporting high 50s MPG for motorway (which is more representative since I was seeing low 60's from the CR140 and now mid-fifties for the 190TDI - all maxi-dot so probably overstated somewhat). I'm sure he will answer for himself, but I'm guessing either his car is new and not yet run in, or used for a lot of short, urban journeys.

4 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Not sure how representative Jonnie5kelso's numbers are. I asked a similar question elsewhere about moving up from CR140 MkII manual to 190 DSG. The 150 owners were reporting high 50s MPG for motorway (which is more representative since I was seeing low 60's from the CR140 and now mid-fifties for the 190TDI - all maxi-dot so probably overstated somewhat). I'm sure he will answer for himself, but I'm guessing either his car is new and not yet run in, or used for a lot of short, urban journeys.

Certainly doesn't reflect my 150TDI's numbers. Even taking into account that mine's a manual, and going by the potentially inaccurate maxidot readings, there's a huge differential. Currently my long term (c.8000 mils) is at around 51mpg and the current tank is around 54mpg. A combination of rural lanes, A roads, some motorway, and a few few short runs. A real mixed bag of usage.

56 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Certainly doesn't reflect my 150TDI's numbers. Even taking into account that mine's a manual, and going by the potentially inaccurate maxidot readings, there's a huge differential. Currently my long term (c.8000 mils) is at around 51mpg and the current tank is around 54mpg. A combination of rural lanes, A roads, some motorway, and a few few short runs. A real mixed bag of usage.

That's more like the difference I was expecting between diesel and petrol! 

Edited by facet edge
Fat fingers

7 hours ago, facet edge said:

Hmm, 

On my mkII the only time I've got close to 37mpg was fully laden 4 passengers up (3 over 6ft4") uphill at speed though France with the boot full of heavy luggage. Overall aerage 45.8 (tank to tank). an get 50mpg on a run.

Does the DSG hit the mpg?

4 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Honest John'a real mpg has the 1.4 TSI 150 DSG at 39 so I'm not miles away from that.

I had a slow but easy run along the coast, a distance of 15 miles, driving like Miss Daisy and I got 45mpg but I'm afraid stopping and starting, short runs, any sort of brisk acceleration and steep hills will soon bring it down.

I've quoted the wrong post, this is in reply to bigjohn

Edited by facet edge
Wrong post quoted

2 hours ago, Jonnie5kelso said:

Mines is a Hackney Carriage Folks. Winter time. Sitting in ranks keeping warm. Short journeys. 

Ah, makes sense. No wonder the consumption is so high. During periods when I've done lots of short journeys (no sitting in ranks keeping warm though!) I've seeen numbers in the low to mid forties.

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly is mate - and that's the short one! Luckily not every day, but c30k miles a year. 

I worried about mpg when I signed up for a 190, as I was getting 60+ from the 140 SII. Was seeing 50 from the 190 in the first couple of weeks. Seems that was down to the cold weather as I'm getting mid-fifties now, which is what I hoped for / expected.

All figures are maxi-dot so I accept may be optimistic. But it's a like-for-like comparison which is all I need.

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Briskodajeff, 

Can you complete the info then on the 56 mpg.   

Like how long did the 75 miles take and what did it show as Average MPH?

Average speed c50mph. It's M4 / A420 so few hold-ups; took about an hour and three quarters. Very early start so little by way of traffic.

FYI On local runs I can see as little as 25mpg.

Edited by BriskodaJeff
  • Thanks 1

Thats how i find 150PS SCR / DSG as well. My big Fat Alhambra and others including 190's Ateca and Karoq.

Average Speed Camera 50 mph areas 60+ MPG, 60 MPH cameras 55 mpg ish,  70 mph Camera Areas 45-50 mpg indicated.

Long runs 10 miles to a litre up to 13 or 14 miles to a litre if using coasting function.

• Like 1

2.0 TSI DSG

My commute is ~4 miles.  My running average is low 30s.

On a longer run using motorway (with the usual holdups), I get 42-44.

Pretty happy with that.  Basically the same as our 1.6 manual Renault Megane.

27 minutes ago, dg360 said:

2.0 TSI DSG

My commute is ~4 miles.  My running average is low 30s.

On a longer run using motorway (with the usual holdups), I get 42-44.

Pretty happy with that.  Basically the same as our 1.6 manual Renault Megane.

Sorry if this is a bit OT... Do you guys doing the short journeys use start/stop? And does it make any difference to consumption? I turn it off as soon as I start the car (I really don't like it) but wondered if I'm missing a trick when doing one of my very rare local jaunts. 

36 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Sorry if this is a bit OT... Do you guys doing the short journeys use start/stop? And does it make any difference to consumption? I turn it off as soon as I start the car (I really don't like it) but wondered if I'm missing a trick when doing one of my very rare local jaunts. 

My old 1.9pd indicated that it used 0.5/0.6L/hour on idle and if you flick your units of measure display from mpg to km/litre (temporarily) I'd expect very similar or better results from a 2.0d. 

So I guess it depends how long you think your vehicle idles during a trip on how much fuel you might save. 

Couple of factors though: I believe there is only a net benefit if the engine is off for more than 20 seconds and there are some apocryphal stories suggesting that lots of stop/start can shorten the life of the expensive AGM batteries.

My Octavia does not have auto stop/start but I manually turn it off when caught at traffic lights with a known long cycle, or if I'm unlucky enough to get caught at the local freight train crossing with a >1km long goods train going through at 30kph (or less), or similar situation.  I feel I get some benefit and I'm more in control than the auto stop/start on hire cars that annoyed the whatsit out of me.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Thanks 1

I did a quick 10k report back in January, at that time I reported the following: -

"Over the past couple of months, I’ve noticed that the MPG’s dropped to the high 40’s from being consistently in the low 50’s. I’ve put this down to a change in the weather… more idling time whilst defrosting, traffic moving a little slower, that sort of thing. I always check the MPG tank fill to tank fill so these reading are quite accurate, I find the on-board computer is always a couple of MPG optimistic."

My commute is 24 miles, a mixed bag of Motorway, 50mph A roads and a little town traffic.

Since then, and through the worst of the bad weather, I had a couple of tank fills drop to around 46 but I'm pleased to say it's back into the low 50's.... last tank fill was just shy of 51 (genuine) and it's currently looking around 52 - 53.!

Happy days :)

PS I never use stop/start.

Edited by Whaty

Best I got on my 280 was 37, on a very gentle, long run of 200 miles or so, on mainly motorway at max of 70, with frequent 50s as you find on our motorway network.

Round town, is not so good, only ever get low 20s. Don't ask me what the maxidot was showing, when it was snowy!!

Well that'll teach me to boast about my consumption figures! Last night - return journey. An unholy trinity - A420 closed, leading to a detour round most of the back roads of rural Oxfordshire, followed by an accident which closed 2 lanes of the M4. I found out about it from the radio as I joined the back of the queue - thanks Satnav:angry:.

Here is the outcome.

20180322_200048_2.thumb.jpg.c5039731acef75f1c8b63ccfbab4105e.jpg

Journey time more than doubled, 12 miles extra run, average speed less than half. and 10.4mpg off the consumption. Have to say I am pretty surprised / impressed it did 45mpg (maxi-dot caveat accepted), since at one point I think I did 3 miles in an hour and had start-stop disabled the whole time, followed by some probably injudicious use of the loud pedal after we'd cleared the accident:blush

Oh how I love my DSG and Traffic Jam Assist on journeys like that:biggrin:.

• 10 months later...
On 01/11/2015 at 18:43, drewpost said:

Anyone have any experience on the 190 DSG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have L&k 2.0 190 dsg est I'm getting in mixed urban and A road 39-42mpg very disappointed. My old superb 170 dsg est I was doing 44 urban and low 50s on a run. I do have a slightly heavy right foot but all the same not impressed. 

I'm ashamed to say that the 280 achieved an indicated 41.5 MPG on a 200 mile run up the A1 last night.  Sport mode, NSL set on the ACC and off I went.   At one point the computer was nudging 45m MPG when I was in a 50MPH contraflow for a few miles but that soon went down. Based on my previous calculations that is still likely 39.5-40 MPG.   Traffic was free flowing so I just relaxed and watched the miles tick by. 

After a service and using Summer fuel I should be able to reach mid-high 40's on a similar run :D After reading some of the numbers that the 1.5TSi and 190 TDI are achieving, I'm mightily impressed.

The trade off is that I now have some 'spare' fuel to go and combust around the moors :biggrin: 

Edited by penguin17