Engine carbon Cleaning review

cavaian

Back in the day, used to decoke my ( 2-stroke ) scooter exhaust with an acetylene cutting torch.

Remove silencer.

Insert lit torch.

When carbon glows, feed more oxygen

Watch fireworks and when the smoke dies out, switch off.

Leave a long time to cool and then reassemble.

Worked for me! 

7205097dba76b86aee2e81b724658160401f6b30

• 1 month later...

Engine Carbon Cleaning deleted my comments and banned me from their facebook pages when I asked for actual evidence of their treatment's efficacy.

They spammed testimonials and anecdotes but couldn't provide any actual rigorous research to demonstrate their claims to be true,

They state that they introduce extra oxygen, but refuse to say how much or what % they aim for.

Silencing an inquiring skeptic makes it stink of quackery to me!

Me and a mate had ours done recently at a show. He's also a member here.

Granted my car has fairly low mileage but the guy still said it'd make a difference as apparently you should start doing it at 10k miles. The other car was a mk1 Octavia vRS with 105k miles.

Quiter idle on both for a day. After that I can't report any difference. Fuel economy is the same as before calculated the proper way not off trip computers.

Snake oil - could be right IMO.

• 2 months later...

Something similar done by Ed China on Wheeler some time back. He showed the gas figures before and after and the result seemed impressive.

Back in the day, used to decoke my ( 2-stroke ) scooter exhaust with an acetylene cutting torch.

Remove silencer.

Insert lit torch.

When carbon glows, feed more oxygen

Watch fireworks and when the smoke dies out, switch off.

Leave a long time to cool and then reassemble.

Worked for me! 

I remember doing this with a potato rammed in one end and hot caustic soda poured into the exhaust at the other end,,,,,,,where was "health and safety" we never heard of safety glasses and gloves then :peek: 

• 6 months later...

I have also had a really positive experience of carbon cleaning /snip/

The guy who runs it as his retirement project is passionate about the results. I certainly think my car is running smoother, feels less bumpy and is accelerating better. A quick and easy process which I hope will now result in better miles per gallon.

Edited by ColinD
Two posts, two links same co... spider senses tingling, prove me wrong.

Im sure it will make gains etc, just like stripping your manifold off and burning all the carbon out, same with the EGR valve.... But maybe instead of re cirulating the crude around and around, maybe try the elephant mod with a catch tank so the carbon muck isnt building up.

51 minutes ago, FromTheDarkness said:

Im sure it will make gains etc, just like stripping your manifold off and burning all the carbon out, same with the EGR valve.... But maybe instead of re cirulating the crude around and around, maybe try the elephant mod with a catch tank so the carbon muck isnt building up.

It's nothing like stripping stuff off and cleaning it though. It's paying someone else to pretend they're doing that; with no verification that they've actually done anything at all. It's a con. That's why new accounts keep popping up with links in them to this company, and why diligent mods and the site owner try to protect you by removing the links.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Like a lot of you here, i was very cynical of this process.  These machines are meant to split the water therefore creating hydrogen and oxygen.  As both elements will enter the air intake it will simply mix again and create water vapour.  That is what made me question the process.

So i thought i would try something out.  I booked a carbon clean for mine and a mates car, a 2002 Octavia and 2008 Astra.  Before the guy came we put a hose up the exhaust of the Astra and rinsed out all the carbon and soot deposits sitting in the exhaust (I do not recommend you do this to your car) until the water run clean.  Then the guy turns up with all his wonderful claims and starts the process.  Surprise surprise, he commented on how great the engine was in the Astra as there was very little carbon build up.  I think the truth is, these machines flush water through your system at a high temperature to clean it, but all you are seeing come out of the exhaust is the crap that is harmlessly sitting in the exhaust anyway.  

I too was removed from a Facebook page for asking about evidence led trials.  

If these companies were as trustworthy as they say, and if the technology worked as they claim, at least one of them would have taken an old coked up engine, done their magic with it, then stripped the engine completely to prove it was now clean.  It wouldn't take them that long and ultimately, it would make them a fortune.

I think this is just the latest snake-oil business that will earn a lot of fast money in a short time and disappear in a couple of years once people realise it's not all it seems.  Let's be honest, if it really did work, manufacturers would be clambering all over themselves to invalidate your warranty for using it as they would lose them a fortune on expensive parts and repairs.

On 06/07/2017 at 11:56, ColinD said:

@Hidenseek I've altered this post as it's almost a carbon; sorry, copy of the other post, both odd as first posts with no other intro. I might be wrong, please let me know. 

Think the tingle may have been correct Colin :D