Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

clunkclick,

nowhere does it say that it will use 1 litre in 600 miles does it ?

Even with many cold start short journeys.

They do not need to leak oil or blow it out the exhaust if it is Bore Wash causing the Oil Consumption it can be burnt in the Cat,

and the dealers Technicians should have had a Oil Consumption test carried out.

& Skoda UK would have been paying for it.

Somebody in this thread thinks its 1 litre every 600 miles:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/225992-14-engine-oil-consumption/

The BBZ engine in mines a near relative of the AUB.

Apart from the last two years the car has done a lot of mixed motoring - 14 mile return daily commutes, 400 mile motorway return journeys and 1,000 mile returns on continental expressways.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Clunkclick,

Techie is well respected and knowledgeable but that figure in that thread was just wrong, 

because even those at VW or the share holders in Qataris with the part ownership do not expect that owners need to put 16 litres 

of Liquid Gold in as well as what is required for Oil Changes if you do average mileages.

Too often Customers are misinformed at Volkswagen Group Franchised Dealerships.

& that is where this Thread comes from, 

VW as a company can lie and cheat, and as long as they are earning the readies, stuff the customers.

I'm sure its a litre every 1000 kms (600 miles).

Its not as if this issue hasn't got long-standing form on this site and elsewhere:-

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24657

I had the EGR cleaned on mine the service before last and it made a slight difference for the first few months then back to normal.

Previous car a "N" model 1981 Golf, did 75,000, never required a top-up between annual services.

Nick

I'm sure its a litre every 1000 kms (600 miles).

Its not as if this issue hasn't got long-standing form on this site and elsewhere:-

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24657

I had the EGR cleaned on mine the service before last and it made a slight difference for the first few months then back to normal.

Previous car a "N" model 1981 Golf, did 75,000, never required a top-up between annual services.

Nick

Well obviously it was not the whole range of that company's cars but the cars selected are fairly typical of the models that brands sells and again you seem to miss the point that it is those diesel models, clearly marked with a D in the table, that are simply awful, and dangerous in that in these tests in non-lab conditions ie cold mornings that not only produce truly horrendous NO results when starting and cold but even twice to three times the allowable emission when warm.

A modicum of intelligence is assumed when look at tables and I am pleased you brought out some more details but it simply underlines that, in real life, non-lab conditions, presently sold diesel cars are not, when starting or up to operating temperature, adhering to the legal limitation of NO we legislation for.   The real question is what we do about it as since this thread was started and VW and their diesels, along with the other diesel cars out on the roads, have made considerable contribution, as each of their cars is polluting not just beyond the limit for one car but effectively several cars at one time, that there has been 500 more premature deaths in the UK due to air pollution and several thousand across the EU and other countries.

The main Belgian Importer has joined Switzerland and the US suspended sales of VW diesels. 

http://www.euronews.com/2015/09/26/vw-diesel-scandal-belgium-says-500000-cars-suspicious/

Following Switzerland’s ban on sales of some Volkswagen diesel models over the emissions scandal, action is being taken in Belgium too.   A major importing firm, D’Ieteren, has suspended sales of cars whose engines are considered susceptible to manipulation. Reports say 3,200 vehicles are affected.  It’s thought half a million cars have the type of engine that allows tampering.   The government says the brands involved areVolkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat.   Economy Minister Kris Peeters told Het Laatste Nieuws that half a million cars were “suspicious”.  “There’s definitely a problem, in Belgium as well. We think there’s a maximum of 500,000 cars that were sold in Belgium. The exact number isn’t clear, because it’s not known how how many of them have the software,” he said.   European officials including the Commission’s vice-president say EU laws could be changed to introduce tougher emissions tests in the wake of the Volkswagen rigging scandal.

Blimey, a surfeit of  "Johnny-come-lately" princes then.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Clunkclick,

Techie is well respected and knowledgeable but that figure in that thread was just wrong, 

because even those at VW or the share holders in Qataris with the part ownership do not expect that owners need to put 16 litres 

of Liquid Gold in as well as what is required for Oil Changes if you do average mileages.

Too often Customers are misinformed at Volkswagen Group Franchised Dealerships.

& that is where this Thread comes from, 

VW as a company can lie and cheat, and as long as they are earning the readies, stuff the customers.

If its that neck of the woods, then its "An act of God", surely ?

N

Well the act of someones God means that Qatar Holdings is going to have to suck it in now along with the rest at VWG.

Their financial situations were bad enough before this all came about, so we will see just how they get on.

Sadly it looks like hard workers will be the ones to suffer as those at the Top Table walk away without much comeback on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Investment_Authority

A modicum of intelligence is assumed when look at tables and I am pleased you brought out some more details but it simply underlines that, in real life, non-lab conditions, presently sold diesel cars are not, when starting or up to operating temperature, adhering to the legal limitation of NO we legislation for.   The real question is what we do about it as since this thread was started and VW and their diesels, along with the other diesel cars out on the roads, have made considerable contribution, as each of their cars is polluting not just beyond the limit for one car but effectively several cars at one time, that there has been 500 more premature deaths in the UK due to air pollution and several thousand across the EU and other countries.

Euro 5b September 2011 0.50 - -

0.180Nox

You seem hell bent on slating diesels, and can't even apply your own criteria of A modicum of intelligence. 

Euro 5 and 5b Nox is 0.180 not .08 which is Euro 6. Of the cars tested One diesel failed(Mercedes,) and two petrol, the BMW and the Mini

Euro 5b September 2011 0.50 - -

0.180Nox

You seem hell bent on slating diesels, and can't even apply your own criteria of A modicum of intelligence. 

Euro 5 and 5b Nox is 0.180 not .08 which is Euro 6. Of the cars tested One diesel failed(Mercedes,) and two petrol, the BMW and the Mini

Not at all, the Mini-BMW and BMW petrols were both pretty shockingly bad also and exceeded the 180 mg/km both warm and cold.  Unacceptable and they should be urgently officially retested by government and suspended from sales in Finland/Norway or anywhere else that has that has the sense to protect their citizens.

So not a diesel/petrol thing, just any car manufacturer that is hugely circumventing or accidentally but either way not adhering to measures to protect our health.

The list of cars cut and pasted just said Mini 5 door and no D so therefore a petrol.  Do not know if it was a 1.2, a Cooper, a Cooper S or a JCW.  Hope they can get it sorted for Oxford or Holland or Austria's sake where they are made.  Should not beyond the wit of their auto engineers.   Act soon, Diesel or petrol, the cost of little or no action is too high.   

Somebody in this thread thinks its 1 litre every 600 miles:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/225992-14-engine-oil-consumption/

The BBZ engine in mines a near relative of the AUB.

Apart from the last two years the car has done a lot of mixed motoring - 14 mile return daily commutes, 400 mile motorway return journeys and 1,000 mile returns on continental expressways.

Nick

The AUB engine suffers because of using 95 ron petrol & not specified 98ron..................& driving it like slow coach....................

I had my AUB from new to 63,000 & it never drank oil.......................& as Sepulchrave posts in that thread it is down to poor fuel....also IMHO poor oil & skimping on servicing..............

back on topic................

FT reports

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2dec4060-652b-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2.html#axzz3myNTV900

ECB suspends purchase of loans backed by VW assets

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2dec4060-652b-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2.html#ixzz3myO6U85X

The European Central Bank has suspended buying bundles of loans backed by Volkswagen assets as it reviews the financial implications of the scandal engulfing Germany’s biggest carmaker.  The plunge in VW shares by almost a third in 10 days has prompted the central bank to review whether to bar VW paper from its bond purchase programme.   Such credit reviews are a routine part of the ECB’s efforts to protect taxpayers as it rolls out its scheme to buy asset-backed securities, which began in November last year.  But the fact that VW, one of Europe’s biggest issuers of debt, is under the microscope underlines the severity of the problems faced by the group, and the potential knock-on funding effects of the scandal.  Shareholders raced to offload VW stock last week after US regulators revealed that the company rigged US emissions tests for its diesel cars by using so-called defeat devices. The allegations forced the departure of VW’s chief executive and rocked Europe’s carmaking industry.  Results from the ECB review are expected as soon as this week and insiders said the exclusion of VW from the ECB’s bond buying was not a forgone conclusion.  

While the risks to VW’s creditworthiness have increased markedly in the wake of the allegations, German public bodies remain big shareholders in the group, reducing the danger of default.

Other Countries are suspending Euro 5 engine vehicles not Sold or Registered not all VW's.

So, back to my original point.

How much longer before all sale of euro5 worldwide are suspended?

How many are there still in stock?

Will they double check VW's euro6 certification to see if it complies in the real world.......or anyone else's, for that matter.

• Like 1

So how for up the chain will criminal charges go, I wonder?.

How could the CEO, or anyone below, not have known?.

Even the Board of Directors.

Edited by Ryeman

Well I read earlier the software exploited is in the bosch ecu. And bosch warned vw against it back in 2011

Do VAG still use Magnetti Marreli also?...........I know my Fabia had their ECU................

I wonder if Bosch (or other ECU makes) will be hauled over the coals for allowing such a code to exist! Did Bosch fit the code at the behest of VAG?..........or does VAG recode the ECU in house??..............

Do VAG still use Magnetti Marreli also?...........I know my Fabia had their ECU................

I wonder if Bosch (or other ECU makes) will be hauled over the coals for allowing such a code to exist! Did Bosch fit the code at the behest of VAG?..........or does VAG recode the ECU in house??..............

According to the ABC report, Bosch 'warned' VW against modifying its software.
  • Like 1

So today things start to get a move on.

Also the Central European Bank looks more like doing the enquiries and into VW and the Finances that they should have done all along.

So many Financed & Leased cars and VW Lending Money to buy cars that they had borrowed.

The Banks, Borrowing and Finance situation might be the biggest scandal yet to emerge.

http://news.sky.com/story/1560147/vw-development-heads-suspended

Quite a few articles suggest Euro 6 cars aren't affected but that seems unlikely to me.

If a TDI Octavia or Golf without Adblue needed to cheat to pass Euro 5 and CARB standards, I cant see how whats essentially the same engine in a Euro 6 car can possibly have passed,